“Will be returning!”

Sleepy Forest Cottages
Reviewed 10 January 2013

My wife, 2-year-old daughter, and I decided to visit Big Bear on our way back from the LA area to our home in the High Desert.

Since my wife and daughter both have food allergies and eating out is difficult we wanted to stay somewhere with a kitchen to fix our own meals. We booked about a week before our visit. While checking in we asked if cabin 18, the family cottage adjacent to the office, was available instead of the cabin we had reserved. We were told it was, and although it was supposed to be $10 more a night, we were moved for free since it would have been empty anyway.

The cabin was very clean and adequately decorated and furnished with a flat screen TV and very nice oak furniture and a leather sectional. The Wi-Fi worked great and the kitchen had all the utensils and cookware we would have needed (though we did bring our own just in case). We were able to take some great family photos in front of the fireplace and the jacuzzi was great after a stressful day of doctor appointments at Loma Linda. Our only regret was that we could only stay for one night since we had to get home to our animals. We will definitely have to stay again and reserve “The Red House” so we can bring our dogs along.

Room Tip: Cottage 18 is adjacent to the Office, although the bedroom with the queen bed is above the office th...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 17 December 2012

I've been looking for a nice cabin to stay for the new year and when i called this place and spoke to one of the guys for reservation he told me there were couple cabins with 2 rooms available and when i told him that i hope this works and based on my last experience at one of the cabins in big bear and was hoping i could have a better one this year, he transfer me to the manager before i was done talking. The owner came on line so rudley and responded to me why r u staing here if you had bad experience, firs tof all i never told him it was his cabins we stayed at, it was cabins close to his area second of all if i did decided to stayed again at his cabins he should of reply to me as a return guest and aplogize and thank me for giving them a second chance. He rudley told me he can't remembered me and when i told him hes not lettting me talk and being rude he told me off and said i will not rent any cabins to you.

I was shock with his answer and service to me over the phone. I was not expecting this kind of service from any owner of these cabins. I'm still in shock and just decieded to write this comment since i have never done this ever.
I hope you guys have better experince with this mananger if you like to see it just call and say you think this is the place youstayed at and had a bad expeince and you will see is nice personality pop up.
Hope you guys experience a much better service then i did, at least on the phone.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank mooshi M
sleepyforestcottages, Manager at Sleepy Forest Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 25 December 2012

(Copied from same review on Yelp) I talked to you today and I apologize for sounding rude. However, you did actually tell the reservationist that it was our place you had the bad experience at, with several strong complaints, and I asked you to help me look it up. It turned out later that it was not our extablishment after all. If you had experienced all the things you were describing, we were, first, surprised, and second, wondering why we had not already made it right with you. Since you said it was us, but then found that it was not, it left me very confused. I realize you may have had no bad intentions toward us. We really want every guest to have a great time, and work hard to make sure that always happens. I appreciate your feedback. Bob P, owner.

Reviewed 6 December 2012

My husband and I stayed in cottage 15 at Sleepy Forrest Cottages in late Sept 2012 on the first night of our 3000 mile, >4 week trek around California. It was the least expensive accommodation of our entire trip (booked directly with property for a mid-week, off-season stay) and for the price it was better than I expected. The office staff were pleasant and professional. In the office was good coffee (with a variety of flavored creamers), ok cookies in the afternoon, and tasteless store-bought pasties (those sold in the plastic tubs in the supermarket) in the morning. If you want real 1/2 and 1/2 instead of the powdered stuff for your in-room coffee, pick up a couple of at the office.

The cottage was tight, rather than spacious; but not claustrophobic. It was decorated in a slightly cutesy style, but not over-done. The king size bed was firm and had 6 Pillows! The cottage has a small "wet bar" with a frig, microware, coffee maker (w/coffee) and plates, bowls, glasses, cups and flatware. There's a small table and 2 chairs. The cottage also has a gas fireplace, and a large flat-screen TV. The bathroom has a tiny but perfectly functional pedestal sink, with a small (approx 4'x12") shelf, a toilet and double-headed shower the size of a standard tub-shower enclosure with no tub. Two people can fit in the shower or one can get both sides sprayed at once.

Except for a spot on the carpet, everything in the cottage, including the dishes, was clean. The weather was perfect during our stay, which was a good thing since there was a fan placed in the window above the wet bar which prevented closure of the window. The cottage did not appear to have AC. The complex is located on a side street off the highway, but I did not realize when I selected it that the back of cottage that 215 is nearest the highway. We were not troubled by highway noise, however at 7am a chainsaw rang out and awoke us. Even though the chainsaw was off the property and who knows how far away, it sounded like it was just outside our door.

Access to the lake less than 1/2 mile away.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
sleepyforestcottages, Manager at Sleepy Forest Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 7 December 2012

Hello and thanks for the review! We would like to address some of the cons posted here. First, we do provide a cozy lobby with coffee, pastries and cookies. This is complimentary and free of charge, which means we do not make any money but it is a complimentary gift to our guests. The pastries are bought in bulk and we only put them out fresh. Most guests enjoy them. Also, as always we want to remind our guests that we are on-call 24/7 and happy to offer upgrades or take care of any issues to make sure all our guests are comfortable and happy. We would of course have liked to have known where the spot on the carpet was so we could take care of that immediately. And we do place fans in windows during the warmer months only, as we do not have AC (most businesses and locals do not install AC in Big Bear as it does not get hot enough to necessitate the need). Again, we are on call and happy to remove fans or shut/open windows for guests at any time. Cottage 215 is at the top of our property, and as much as we try, we cannot control all noises in town, although Sleepy Forest is still located in a nice and peaceful area. Josh P., Manager.

Reviewed 25 November 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Sleepy Forest Cottages over Thanksgiving while visiting our family in Big Bear Lake. We had cottage # 3. The room was clean and neat, the bed waqs comfortable and the fireplace worked great.

The room had basic dishes and utensils as well as a DVD/VHS with the TV and a microwave and fridge. Everything worked.

Only small issue was that fireplace logs were not supplied. You can purchase in the office or many local places.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank seawolf1963
Reviewed 23 October 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed in cottage 204 for our 7 year anniversary. I had communicated with Bob before our arrival and asked if we were able to have an early check-in if possible. He not only flagged our reservation for early check-in, but also gave us a complimentary bottle of champagne! The day that we got there, our room was not ready. However, the kind gentleman in the front told me the approximate time it would be ready and said that he would give us a call once it is. The cottages are conveniently close to the village and the convention center (since we wanted to check out Oktoberfest). We ate at El Jacalito, suggested by the front desk, and it was delicious! My boyfriend ordered the chilequiles, and I ordered the chile verde omelette. Both were very good. Afterwards, we went to the convention center to order our tickets for Oktoberfest. As we were heading back, we received a call informing us that our room was ready. Perfect timing! When we got to our room, it was very neat and clean! The ambiance was darling and fit perfectly with the scenery outside of the cottage. The room was very relaxing and inviting. It also had helpful tips near various amenities within the cottage. They were posted on the wall near the fireplace, jacuzzi, and other areas as well. After visiting Oktoberfest, which was very fun and festive, we relaxed in our cottage and made reservations at the Peppercorn Grille. The clam chowder was absolutely delicious! I had their chef's special, which was the Chicken Picatta. My boyfriend had the artichoke stuffed chicken. The chicken and vegetables were perfectly cooked! This is also another restaurant suggested by management.

We only stayed one night, but we wished we could have stayed for a few more days. We were able to have an extended check-out for the next day as well. This helped us to enjoy the next few hours within this wonderful cottage. Don't forget to tip your housekeeper! We left a tip for our housekeeper because she did a great job with the cleanliness of the room! The rates are very reasonable and its location is ideal for food and activities.

Thank you Sleepy Forest Cottages!

-Aileen T.

Room Tip: Check out the resort's websites for information on the rooms!
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Aileen T
sleepyforestcottages, Manager at Sleepy Forest Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 27 October 2012

Hi Aileen, we just want to say thanks so much for the great review! We are so glad you enjoyed everything and hope to see you again soon! thanks, Josh P., Manager.