“Best Mexican Food in Big Bear!”
Review of El Jacalito Grill

El Jacalito Grill
Ranked #12 of 127 Restaurants in Big Bear Region
Price range: USD 7 - USD 16
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Had one of the best Mexican food dinner we've ever had at El Jacalito. My husband had the Carne asada which was absolutely delicious, very tender and juicy and the flavor was incredible which was accompanied with rice and beans which were topped with melted cheese(not sure what kind of cheese but it was perfect)

I had the tortilla soup which is by far the best tortilla soup I have ever had and I've had many. It was rich in flavor and had large chunks of fresh avocado and fresh cilantro and lots of melted cheese in it. They also have a great salsa bar which has a delicious red salsa that you will love.Yumm!!! Portions are also very generous as well and pricing I felt was adequate for the quality and portion size.

What really set El Jacalito apart was their great service as it was a holiday weekend and they were super busy but they were taking care of everyone. The wait was longer than usual (about 35 mins) but definitely worth the wait as their service was outstanding. Our server Jose was awesome! Their watermelon margarita is a Must, it was soooo delicious! Pay them a visit, you won't be disappointed!

Note: My apologies for not posting photos of our dishes, I took the photos but deleted them in error. Simply look at the photos on TripAdvisor for El Jacalito, there is plenty of great photos! Happy eating

1  Thank Claudini M

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Had the chicken tacos and fajitas, yummmm. Chip and salsa bar was perfect to nibble while visiting with date. A for sure return.

Reviewed 23 January 2018

We ended up in El Jacalito as there were long waits at many of the other brunch places in Big Bear. Despite this not being our first choice we had a good brunch and would be happy to return.
Good points:
+ Lots of choice on the menu (as long as you're happy with mexican food, there's nothing else on offer)
+ Plenty of seating inside
+ Efficient service
Not so good points:
- Don't expect anything other than mexican food
- Slightly more expensive that I expected for what we had

Reviewed 11 October 2017

We didn't know anything about this restaurant but decided to give it a try. Nothing fancy, full of friends and families. We were seated quite fast for a Saturday evening with no reservations. The food was great!, the tortilla soup was excellent! I liked that you can take as much salsa as you want BUT you will be charged if wasted. GOOD THING!
The margaritas were great and generous. Service was fast and professional.
We really enjoyed our dinner and would recommend this place in a heart beat!

Reviewed 25 September 2017

We messaged a friend familiar with Big Bear dining and they suggested El Jacalito, knowing that we love Mexican food. It happened to be Taco Tuesday so I went for it... four ground beef tacos! I felt like the restaurant deserved more than $4 so I ordered some chicken tortilla soup too. Oh my was it ever a big bowl of soup! I had to share it with my husband and even then we still could not finish it. My husband had carne asada, having made a hard choice between that and barbacoa. He should have had the barbacoa because he thought about it for days afterwards. LOL We found the restaurant to be fun, friendly, busy, tasty food and would definitely return. You really can't beat Taco Tuesday, and the locals know it!

1  Thank CacheOn