“Nice hotel in Posh Location”
Review of The Beverly Hilton

The Beverly Hilton
Ranked #9 of 15 Hotels in Beverly Hills
Reviewed 10 September 2012

While the hotel itself was nice, it is easy to tell that there are two distinct parts of the hotel: 'Wilshire Tower' Rooms for high paying guests and 'Oasis' rooms for guests that scored a great deal on priceline/hotwire. Regardless, my room was nice, the bed was comfy, and wifi was free, unlike other high end hotels I've stayed at. Parking was pricy, but I expected this based on other reviews. The ability to drive in and out at my leisure (without going through valet) was nice. Hotel is close to Century City Mall and Rodeo Drive. Overall if you need to be in the Beverly Hills area it's a very nice place to be!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
BeverlyHilton, eCommerce Marketing Manager at The Beverly Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2012

Thank you for sharing your experience. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope you had the chance to enjoy Century City Mall and Rodeo Drive. See you soon!

-The Beverly Hilton

Write a ReviewReviews (3,851)

Reviewed 9 September 2012

After figuring out how to get into the hotel...I was pleasantly surprised at how lovely the lobby was. The contrast of the exterior and interior is striking! Had originally booked a pool level room thinking it would be fun to be so close to the pool....but after combing through the reviews on this site, I decided I would ask to switch room types upon arrival at the hotel. My plan worked perfectly! I shmoozed the front desk gal and she upgraded me to a lovely room in the Wilshire Tower for free. From what I gathered, it's the newest part of the hotel.

Side note about the room: when I got into the room, I noticed a tiny piece of foil(gum wrapper like paper) and some black dust chunks on the floor. I happened to notice it while the bellman was delivering my luggage. I mentioned it to him and he assured me he'd alert housekeeping and have them come vacuum. Low and behold, 10 minutes later there was a knock on the door and a woman from housekeeping was there, vacuum in hand. She did a nice sweep through the room with her vacuum and off she went. I was grateful that she came so quickly. Also, grateful the message was conveyed in a timely manner from the bellman to housekeeping.

The room wasn't huge...but nicely appointed. The two beds were the most comfortable of all my hotel stays this summer...which was quite a few. The balcony...what can I say...was HUGE!!! I was able to see the pool from my room on the 6th floor. After viewing the pool from my vantage point, it just confirmed that I was happy with my idea to switch rooms.

Lobby bar was nice. The tortilla soup is second to none! You must try it if you're at the hotel and hungry. Hit the gift shop...pretty standard for a hotel that size. Warning...they do not sell diapers at the gift shop. A Mom came in while I was in there asking if they had any...poor thing..the answer was no. This is a bummer...the hotel isn't walking distance to any stores. You must hop in a cab or grab your vehicle if you need to leave the property. They do have a nicely stocked drink selection that is kept nice and cold. Some snack items to grab but nothing too exotic. Logo wear was plentiful...and expensive.

Had dinner off property that night at Red Medicine...had seen it on a Food Network show. Fun dinner...worth the trip.

Came back to the hotel after dinner and had a drink at Trader Vic's bar in the lower part of the hotel. The firepits were on, a DJ was playing the latest tunes in the indoor/outdoor setting. The crowd was mostly couples and a few random single travelers. Disappointing. From what I had read, we had hoped for a more lively scene. : (

Had a really great sleep and got up the next morning and headed out.

A nice stay, a fair price for the location and I would gladly return.

Room Tip: Opt for the Wilshire Tower...rooms are modern and beds are very comfy.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends

Thank you for sharing your stay. Glad you enjoyed our comfortable beds. Our Chicken Tortilla soup is one of our favorite menu items! Homemade and delicious. We hope to welcome you back again soon!

Reviewed 8 September 2012 via mobile

His is a nice hotel but has some flaws. I rate it low due to the noise the bathroom and air conditioning made. Pay the extra for a balcony if you are staying longer. Free breakfast was ok but you can only eat the buffet whih I generally don't like. The gym is very good though they were out of head phones. The valet are great.

• Stayed: September 2012
BeverlyHilton, eCommerce Marketing Manager at The Beverly Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2012

Thank you for sharing. We have sent you a private message so we may look further into your stay. We strive to make every guest feel comfortable and enjoy their time with us.

Reviewed 7 September 2012

Wow, what an absolutely wonderful experience me and my girlfriend had in Beverly Hills, thanks in a large part to the hospitality shown by The Beverly Hilton's staff. Starting with check in, Ms. Sylvia R. treated us like royalty, and after it was discovered that we had arrived on my birthday she went out of her way to upgrade our room in the Wilshire Tower. Our room had a wonderful view of the Hollywood Hills and downtown L.A. Our visit to the pool was also a great experience, the staff brought additional lounges for us to enjoy this classy enviroment, and our waiter Robby, also suprised me with a mini birthday cake, Thanks. If you are looking for a classy Beverly Hills experience this is the place to start. Bill B.

Room Tip: Ask for the Wilshire Tower
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank William B
BeverlyHilton, eCommerce Marketing Manager at The Beverly Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2012

Thank you for sharing! We are thrilled you had an amazing experience. We will share your kind words with our staff. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed 7 September 2012

I had a one night stay here for a very last minute trip. While the room quality was decent, you expect so much more for a hotel of its reputation.

My stay was due to a Priceline bid... I had hoped for a West Hollywood hotel and ended up further west than I wanted. I was able to call in ahead of time and ask that they note I would be arriving early and preferred a king bed --not all hotels allow you to do this if it's a Priceline win. Upon my arrival just after noon, most of the bell staff seemed to be away on lunch --not a problem for me but may be an issue for those needing assistance. The bell desk was very helpful in my encounters with them for calling a taxi or providing directions

Check-in was helpful and professionally welcoming. I asked about getting placed in the Wilshire wing and was told it'd be a $40 upgrade. I decided to go for it since I had already saved so much due to using Priceline. I also indicated I was a Hilton Honors Diamond level member and asked if they could add my number to the reservation. Normally most hotels won't do that with a Priceline reservation but they did it due to me paying for the upgrade. The front desk agent also said she'd slightly upgrade my room further due to my Diamond status, plus I received the complimentary continental breakfast voucher and free internet that Gold/Diamond members receive. The person I dealt with at the concierge desk was a bit officious when I asked about the courtesy shuttle. Apparently you need to book that hours/days in advance and when I inquired about a taxi, he only stated the luxury car option of a $38 flat fee, rather than having the bell desk call for a regular taxi --taxis wait nearby for guests so it's a quick option.

The room itself was nice, tasteful but not over the top luxurious. It was on the smaller side for suburban USA but normal sized for a major American or European city. The bed was comfortable with nice linen. There was a divan lounger, regular sized working table/desk, and a long dresser that served as a perch for the flat screen TV. There was an older Bose small stereo system/alarm clock that needed to be replaced... The speakers were blown and there was no ipod auxillary/charging dock. Wi-fi strength was strong in my room. Housekeeping came in the evening while I was away to turn on lights, turn the stereo on to a classical radio station and leave chocolates on my pillow. I don't believe a room in the Oasis wing would have been markedly worse than one in the Wilshire wing. It would have been shabbier, because of the Wilshire renovations, and it seems the washrooms are less luxurious. However, the bed would be Hilton standard and you are paying less for a reason. If you paid for a more premium price for a stated superior room and was placed in Oasis, you may have cause for complaint.

I believe my slightly improved room upgrade meant I got a room with a balcony facing the pool and a nicer than usual washroom. The washroom had a deep soaking tub, a separate large sized shower, and a bidet hose with the toilet. The toilet also had a separating frosted glass door from the rest of the washroom. There was enough counterspace for two. Towels were fluffy and soft. Included toiletries included Peter Roth shampoo, conditioner, and soap placed at both the shower and tub plus body lotion and small grooming items like q-tips and shower cap. Water pressure was fine in tub and shower.

I didn't order room service or dine-in. However, I did end the night in the lobby lounge. The truffle potato crisps I ordered were awful --flavorless, cold, and barely any of the purported truffle taste. Both the beer and wine by the glass selections were mediocre. Prices were higher than normal but in line with a 4* hotel in a major city. Service was prompt, however. The lobby lounge is where they served my free continental breakfast, which was a choice of one pastry and one Starbucks beverage.

As a regular low-maintenance business traveler who books at rack rate for work-related travel, I'm usually not one to complain about having to pay higher for things such as parking, internet, food, etc at a 4* hotel. You have to accept that you'll normally pay a premium for those things due to location and other hotel perks that you would expect for a hotel of that calibre --if you want all of those things for free, there are plenty of comfortable, well-appointed value choices at a 3 star level. However, the Beverly Hilton does not deliver on 4* luxury, both in quality of facilities/service, for what they charge for a regularly priced room. I've now stayed at 5 Hilton family options in the Los Angeles area (3 full Hiltons and 2 Hilton Garden Inns) in the past 3 years and this one came up short. The Hilton Checkers downtown exceeded the Beverly Hilton in service and amenities (eg. Chocolate dipped strawberries left in room in the evening, choice of a free pay per view movie or full breakfast voucher) despite being a older building, while the Garden Inns offered better value (free internet and standard breakfast) without the cosmetic trappings of 4* luxury. Several months ago, I had considered burning a free Hilton stay certificate at the Beverly Hilton and I'm glad I chose not to do so. For a Priceline win, I got exactly what I paid for. I would have been very dissatisfied if I had paid regular rack rate, however.

Just a tip for those using taxis or shuttles to get to and from the hotel. Shared van shuttles such as Supershuttle or Prime Time are often a minimum of 20 minutes late for pick-up (according to the bell desk) due to traffic congestion. Consider taking a taxi to/from LAX if there are two or more in your party. Supershuttle charges a regular rate of $16 per person one way to/from LAX, while a regular taxi charges $40 from LAX and $38 to LAX --plus you avoid having to share a ride with others and being taken around to others' drop off locations. I had considered renting a car at LAX but it didn't seem worth it for the hassle of traffic and then the expensive valet service + tips. It actually would have been slightly cheaper and much more convenient to have rented the car and paid for valet than what I paid for Supershuttle plus two taxi rides to West Hollywood and from Hollywood proper.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo

Thank you for sharing. We have sent you a private message to look further into your stay.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Beverly Hills
SIXTY Beverly Hills
SIXTY Beverly Hills
#8 of 15 in Beverly Hills
Beverly Hills
Beverly Wilshire Beverly Hills (A Four Seasons Hotel)
The Beverly Hills Hotel
The Beverly Hills Hotel
#1 of 15 in Beverly Hills
Hollywood
The Hollywood Roosevelt
The Hollywood Roosevelt
#17 of 358 in Los Angeles

Been to The Beverly Hilton? Share your experiences!