“YUMMY”

Fournee Bakery
Ranked #1 of 20 Bakeries in Berkeley
Cuisines: French
Reviewed 13 October 2018

Fabulous bakery! Absolutely delicious! We loved the croisants and other baked goods that we sampled.

Reviewed 10 September 2018

Whenever we come to Berkeley to visit my son and his family, we eat breakfast exclusively at Fournée. The minute you step into this small bakery, the aroma of freshly baked breads and pastries captures your senses— it is so tough to make decisions there! (I guess that’s why we visit every day, to have different delectable experiences!)
The plain croissants are buttery, flaky, and HUGE— but why stop there? The chocolate croissants are great too, but my favorite are the almond, filled with light almond paste and smothered with crispy toasted almonds. My husband has the egg and ham croissant every day: a single egg, hard boiled, surrounded by thin strips of ham, and finally circled with a croissant. It’s a full meal! My last visit, I tried to be diet conscious (nearly impossible!) and so I had the cheese gougère, similar to a popover, but with a touch of cheese airy and delicate. Delicious!
Their scones are always great, with choices of whatever fruit is seasonal, but my granddaughter always has HER favorite, the morning bun— with its layers of cinnamon and sugar in a light flaky bun, it’s just amazing.
Don’t miss Fournée’s breads, either: we usually get a “pain au lair” ( milk bread), a white loaf, sweet but sturdy, perfect for sandwiches— if you can get it home without it being devoured “au naturel”!
I know Fournée serves specialty pizzas for lunch, and I’ve seen their cakes... amazing looking creations... but we haven’t gotten to them yet. This place is a ‘don’t miss’ if you are in the area...it’s nestled at the foot of the Claremont Hotel and Resort.
Bon appetite!!

Reviewed 24 August 2018

Located just outside the splendid Claremont Club & Spa, this popular bakery offers a wide selection of delicious pastries. I do not think that there is a better place in all of Oakland or Berkeley quality-wise. I particularly enjoyed the croissants and the pain au raisin, but did not have the opportunity to sample the various filled croissants and upscale cakes. Slightly pricey.

Reviewed 28 July 2018 via mobile

A real gem in town, at a pleasnt corner of Berkeley... the best pastry I had in a very long time. The bakery is conveniently located by a Peet’s cofee branch. I am going to become a frequent visitor!

Reviewed 13 July 2018

Amazing place!!! Very small inside, but the line moves quickly. I had the chocolate almond croissant and my mouth is watering now thinking about it!!!! Grab a Peets coffee next door and grab a table outside! A must do in Berkeley, especially if you are staying at the Claremont close by.