“Delicious”
Review of Da Lian Restaurant

Da Lian Restaurant
Ranked #180 of 790 Restaurants in Berkeley
Reviewed 16 December 2016 via mobile

Nice ambience. Ample sitting. Hostesses were responsive. They serve free tea. Chinese one. The starter with sesame bread and tofu was great. Chopsuey and noodles were a delight. Good Chinese restaurant in Berkeley.

Reviewed 12 September 2016

Recently had dinner here for the 1st time - Sechuan chicken, kung pao fish, spicy pork noodles. All tasty, heat just right, white meat chicken was tender and perfectly coked, veggies fresh and lightly sauteed, generous pieces of fish filet. Only problem was the noodles. I was looking forward to this specialty of theirs, and while the broth was very good, the noodles themselves were a little overcooked. Maybe a transient oversight, I can't say. If I go back, I'll be sure to ask for the noodles with a little bite to them.

Reviewed 3 September 2016

If you're sick of these hipster places in the Bay Area that have long lines, bad attitudes, and big prices, you totally won't get that here. And it may be too shocking!!! Instead you get authentic HAND MADE noodles which are unbelievable. I'm not a carbo person but I have to make an exception for these babies. The chewiness of the noodles, the sauce, the crunchy vegetable, all of it was top notch. The service was excellent. Not overly friendly but answered all questions, informative, thorough. And the prices were downright reasonable. I mean, CASH reasonable. This was just an all-around great experience and I hate telling people about it if it's just going to make it crowded, because when you're paying $15-22 at those hipster doofus ramen places it seems criminal. On second thought, those people should just stay there and let us enjoy these Zha jiang mien noodles in peace.

1  Thank FashionSpeedTravel
Reviewed 25 May 2016

I really don't each Chinese food that often, in large part because so much of what you find for Chinese food int he US makes you feel terrible for hours after eating it...all the salt, oil, fat, etc tastes good but makes me feel really sluggish.

That's why a place like this is a real find...they have all the classic options but prepared in a way that is tasty and delicious without relying too heavily on grease and salt to make it taste good. I came here with my wife for a late dinner....all the options looked great but we were both in the mood for soup. She had the clam noodle soup and I had the spicy lamb and pickled cabbage soup. The noodles were fresh and the broth tasty...we were both pretty happy with our portions and with the quality of the ingredients.

We rounded it out with the unique sesame bread stuffed with onions and spinach (apparently a North China classic) and spinach dumplings. The dumplings were good, did not have that sort of toughened skin so common in mass produced dumplings. The sesame bread was also good but sort of a large order for just two people, probably best for a group of at least 3.

It was all very good and most importantly I felt okay after eating it. I'm excited to have discovered a Chinese restaurant that I can enjoy so I'll look forward to going back to sample some of their entrees.

Reviewed 18 October 2015

we had a dinner here for 8 people. Service was excellent and the food was some of the best Asian we've had i the Bay Area. In our company were people who were Japanese and others who were connoisseurs of Chinese cooking. The restaurant decor is simple and very welcoming.