“Excellent for what it is: Great noodles, great price, JUST what you want”
Review of Da Lian Restaurant

Da Lian Restaurant
Ranked #181 of 790 Restaurants in Berkeley
Reviewed 3 September 2016

If you're sick of these hipster places in the Bay Area that have long lines, bad attitudes, and big prices, you totally won't get that here. And it may be too shocking!!! Instead you get authentic HAND MADE noodles which are unbelievable. I'm not a carbo person but I have to make an exception for these babies. The chewiness of the noodles, the sauce, the crunchy vegetable, all of it was top notch. The service was excellent. Not overly friendly but answered all questions, informative, thorough. And the prices were downright reasonable. I mean, CASH reasonable. This was just an all-around great experience and I hate telling people about it if it's just going to make it crowded, because when you're paying $15-22 at those hipster doofus ramen places it seems criminal. On second thought, those people should just stay there and let us enjoy these Zha jiang mien noodles in peace.

1  Thank FashionSpeedTravel

Reviewed 25 May 2016

I really don't each Chinese food that often, in large part because so much of what you find for Chinese food int he US makes you feel terrible for hours after eating it...all the salt, oil, fat, etc tastes good but makes me feel really sluggish.

That's why a place like this is a real find...they have all the classic options but prepared in a way that is tasty and delicious without relying too heavily on grease and salt to make it taste good. I came here with my wife for a late dinner....all the options looked great but we were both in the mood for soup. She had the clam noodle soup and I had the spicy lamb and pickled cabbage soup. The noodles were fresh and the broth tasty...we were both pretty happy with our portions and with the quality of the ingredients.

We rounded it out with the unique sesame bread stuffed with onions and spinach (apparently a North China classic) and spinach dumplings. The dumplings were good, did not have that sort of toughened skin so common in mass produced dumplings. The sesame bread was also good but sort of a large order for just two people, probably best for a group of at least 3.

It was all very good and most importantly I felt okay after eating it. I'm excited to have discovered a Chinese restaurant that I can enjoy so I'll look forward to going back to sample some of their entrees.

Reviewed 18 October 2015

we had a dinner here for 8 people. Service was excellent and the food was some of the best Asian we've had i the Bay Area. In our company were people who were Japanese and others who were connoisseurs of Chinese cooking. The restaurant decor is simple and very welcoming.

Reviewed 12 August 2015

My sister took us to this restaurant. The won ton soup was phenomenal! Full of noodles, chicken and good vegetables (not just the cheap kind). We ordered a large for the 3 of us and we each had about 3 cups. The fried rice was also very delectable. We tried the pot stickers and shrimp dim sum as well as the chicken chow mein and all were really good. I had a bit of an upset stomach so I was cautious in what I ate but I regret not eating a lot more because it was all delicious. We can't wait to go back!

Reviewed 28 March 2015

The food here is very very good!! Great service and friendly staff. I come here and eat every time I am in the Bay Area. You should definitely try the pacific wontons for appetizers - I could eat that everyday. For main meal try the honey glazed walnut chicken and the sechuan beef, you will not regret it.