“So good we ate here twice!”
Review of Paisan Restaurant

Paisan Restaurant
Ranked #56 of 762 Restaurants in Berkeley
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: New restaurant, part of local K2 group (TRex, Lalime, Sea Salt)
Reviewed 30 September 2015

We were staying in a Berkeley airbnb for just 4 nights and our host recommended Paisan, which was just round the corner. We enjoyed the visit so much, we went back on our last night as well, same waitress, great welcome back and great food again!

What we liked - the general ambience was good, lots of people there, and we were put into the conservatory area at the back, which was just lovely. The food is really fresh and we loved the vegetable pasta on the specials list, and the green bean salad, and the dessert, and the house recommended wine, in fact we liked the whole thing.

What we don't like - we live 5,000 miles away. Not back any time soon, really sorry.

Reviewed 12 September 2015

We live in Berkeley and eat at Paisan with some regularity. But on the last couple trips, we've been struck by how totally delicious the food is. It is rare to have an Italian restaurant that specializes in fresh vegetables, but here they are exceptional. Tonight we had house-made linguini (perfectly al dente) tossed with a saute of snap peas peppers, corn, zucchini, and heirloom tomato -- all tasting like they'd just walked out of the garden. We also ordered two sides of vegetables: a combo of roasted zucchini and red peppers (which was the best zucchini I can remember eating), and kale sauteed with onions, garlic and red pepper. Just awesome. We've also enjoyed the pizzas, which are thin crust, not loaded with cheese, and come in many gourmet combinations.
The environment of this restaurant is another real plus. It's an airy space with big windows, high beamed ceilings, and a covered patio in the back. There's a comfortable bar where you can watch the Giants or Warriors on an inconspicuously placed TV. The restaurant feels lively and convivial, but it's also quiet enough to have a conversation. The servers are pleasant and attentive. And the food is moderately priced. (Three of us split two pastas and two vegetable sides, plus soft drinks and dessert for $60). This place is a real find!

Reviewed 10 September 2015

By pure coincidence, I ate here twice in one week, the first time for a late lunch/early supper with a friend, the second for dinner with friends. I had been before, and because of my recent experiences, I have to put this place toward the top of my list. (It's also an easy drive from our house in Berkeley.) The basic style is Cal-Ital. At dinner, all four of us cleaned our plates. I don't eat meat, and the friend who ordered the Bucatini Bolognese said it was excellent. I and another friend had the Corn Risotto, also excellent. The kitchen eliminated the pancetta from my order without a problem. My husband had the housemade pasta of the day, which was full of seasonal vegetables and, to his liking, was free of heavy sauce. It was another hit. For my earlier visit, I chose the Green Bean Salad, a delicious combination of beans with cherry tomatoes, arugula, and ricotta salata. For me, it is generous enough to be considered an entree. I like the choice of seating areas: indoors, a bright indoor patio in back (though the chairs indoors are a lot more comfortable), and tables outdoors. Nice bar, too. Extra bonus: Parking in the area is easy.

Reviewed 31 July 2015

The food, especially the pasta, is really well done. It's the kind of food you'd expect at a more upscale restaurant, but the atmosphere is very casual and cozy. The enclosed back patio, in particular, is a treat.

Reviewed 15 June 2015

I had an Italian sausage, two fried eggs, polenta, and lovely salad, all in one bowl, for less than $12.00. Four of my favorite foods at a very low price.

Been to Paisan Restaurant? Share your experiences!