“Ausgezeichnet!!”

Price range: USD 9 - USD 20
Cuisines: German
Good for: Groups, Bar Scene
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Organic German Slow Food. Handcrafted with Love. Largest German beer and wine selection in the East Bay.
Reviewed 12 October 2017

Jaeger schnitzel mit spaetzle und sauer rot-kohl. After living in Germany for 3 years, it's always a joy for me to find an authentic German restaurant. While it was not prepared in the manner I was accustomed to, it still was GREAT!! The waitress told me that I needed to specify that I wanted the pork chops pounded out and breaded; I assumed that it would have been based upon my MANY experiences in Germany. So, while the presentation wasn't to my liking, it still tasted fabulous. She did offer to take it back and have a fresh set of chops prepared to my liking, but I didn't want to throw away good food. So, next time I'll know.....

1  Thank MLXTMRS

Reviewed 17 September 2017 via mobile

We've been searching for a German restaurant. We had a scrumptious lunch and brought some home for lunch. The red cabbage was so delicious the plum cake perfect ending.
We will definitely go back. Parking is a problem. Check the hours Tuesday-Friday they open at 3pm-10pm.

Reviewed 9 August 2017

German food isn't my favorite but after hearing excellent reviews from several friends I decided to go. It was really good! Definitely a sausage and cheese platter type of place although the weinerschinzel looked really good. And of course the beer selection is fantastic. This would be a great place to go with a lot of friends. Service was knowledgeable and professional. While German food is still not a favorite- this was simple good food (and great beer) reasonably priced and I would go again.

Reviewed 31 July 2017 via mobile

Driven past Gaumenkitzel many times on our visit to Berkeley, this time decided to drop in for a meal. Food is in German style slightly blended to American taste. Portions of food are more than enough to suit any hunger. Staff are very friendly and informative about what is served on the menu. Would recommend if wanting to try something different. If German, look past the slight difference between authentic cooking, and American twist!

Reviewed 24 June 2017 via mobile

As we sit here enjoying our 3rd beer of the evening, my husband said, "you need to tripadvisor the s*** out of this place." So here I am, agreeing with him.
The service has been attentive but we've remained undisturbed. The food was of perfect portion and excellent quality. Drink selections extensive with great descriptions. Will expect to visit whenever in the area.
I would recommend getting the gaumenkitzel crispy schnitzel but asking for a side of the mushroom sauce they put on the non-breaded Jägerschnitzel. Please pass up the mashed potatoes for the delicious spätzle. Online reservation was a breeze. Come and enjoy. Pröst and stuff! Can I get a hell yeah!?! (This is the husband, i took over typing!)

1  Thank pandash99