“Authentic healthy modern german food”
Review of Gaumenkitzel

Gaumenkitzel
Ranked #35 of 748 Restaurants in Berkeley
Price range: USD 9 - USD 20
Cuisines: German
Good for: Bar Scene, Groups
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Organic German Slow Food. Handcrafted with Love. Largest German beer and wine selection in the East Bay.
Reviewed 30 January 2017

I love German food, and I LOVED this place!!!!! had the bean soup, which I think was a special that evening, soup was amazingly simple and good, obviously local quality ingredients. $5 for a small portion, which with bread was a decent mean. Goulash - FANTASTIC!!! super tender and so flavorful beef chunks, perfectly seasoned (read savory, not hot n spicy) - just delicious. $18. Dessert I had the Schwarzalder Kirsch aka black forest cake - absolutely to die for, if you don't have room, i highly recommend buying a slice to take home, absolutely heavenly $7. a little pricey, but good value for handmade, homemade cake. I also had a large stein of Erdinger Wheat beer - i prefer Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse but this beer was a close second in flavor, very good, $13. The environment was good, a little simple, but representative of a modern German restaurant. i went very early in the evening (5 pm on a friday) and the place filled up fast. I sat at the bar, so i don't know if they take reservations, but you are probably going to need them if on a busy/weekend night. I stumbled across this place when visiting Berkeley, but i will definitely be back - one of my new fav German places!!!

Reviewed 23 January 2017

***Berkeley Restaurant Week***
This restaurant is participating in Berkeley Restaurant Week so we chose an entree (choice of 2) off a set menu. The restaurant is set up in a typical German Beer Hall (Hofbrahaus) fashion with long tables and benches with a few four tops in a little alcove. The number of beers on tap is simply amazing. We ordered some Bretzel and it was OMG delicious. Our dinner started with a beet soup which was good (never eaten beets so this was new) earthy and reminded me of something my grandma might make. The entree was wild boar goulash with spatzel. The boar was seasoned well but the spatzel was a little bland. The dessert was a Hazelnut Gingerbread cake which was very very dry and therefore was not very tasty.

The food was okay, the service was great. Our waitress was always refilling water and was coming with our next course right on time. She was simply amazing. The atmosphere was much like a beer hall without the German folk songs and polkas. The amount of beers to choose from was amazing.

Reviewed 8 December 2016

Was in town for a conference and saw this place on my TripAdvisor app and a good place for schnitzel and beer. It delivered both and they were incredibly delicious!

Highly recommend if you are in town!

Reviewed 22 October 2016 via mobile

Three couples went to Gaumenkitzel to celebrate Oktoberfest. The restaurant is very warm and inviting with a festival air (high vaulted ceilings, colorful banners, beer and steins on display). We sat on the long tables by the bar which was great for conversation and food sharing. The beers we tried were all delicious (the map that came with the tasting was a nice touch). We also greatly enjoyed the food - sampler platter with bread, cheese and sausage, schnitzel with spaetzl and red cabbage, goulash, fish and leeks. We also enjoyed the three different desserts. The service was attentive and helpful, especially with so many beer choices. One last note, a homeless lady wandered in and we were happy to see how graciously she was treated by the staff; they even gave her food to go. This is a warm, neighborhood place with great food and beer. We'll definitely be back!

Reviewed 15 August 2016

You wouldn't think that a German restaurant would be diet-friendly (in my case, Weight Watchers -- diet for life), but their arugula salad and cannellini bean soup are just the ticket for a tasty, healthy and relatively low-calorie meal. I love the friendly staff and colorful decor of the place.