“Great food, great service”
Review of Famous Bao

Famous Bao
Ranked #262 of 788 Restaurants in Berkeley
Reviewed 3 July 2017 via mobile

This was my first visit and the front counter person took the time to explain the menu options and make recommendations. The food was prepared quickly and it was delicious.

I would highly recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed 23 May 2017 via mobile

Very tasty food and very friendly stuff:) good choice of dishes and really tasty! Fresh! Prices are ok.

Reviewed 17 March 2017 via mobile

Having read so many good reviews on Google, I decided to give Famous Bao a try. I went on a Thursday afternoon. It was after lunch hours so it wasn't too crowded. I ordered the Signature Spicy Hotpot for $10. It was yummy though a little too salty. The portion was large, and came with a rice too.

Maybe it was the expectations I had so the experience didn't seem quite as enjoyable as it should be. Come with no expectations to enjoy!

Reviewed 26 February 2017

We very frequently eat Asian food and found the positive reviews appealing. HOWEVER, my wife's wild mushroom hot pot was much too spicy despite her request for mild; the best parts of my pork hot pot were the vegetables. I didn't mind the bones so much, but he pork was not well trimmed (too much fat). Our order of bao arrived after we had finished our meal; we tried to cancel the order, but were told, "It's coming, it's coming."

Reviewed 26 February 2017

The costs they save on service (order and pickup at counter, typical Berkeley, bus your own dishes) is invested into fabulous, wonderful chinese dishes. I had some of the best handmade "pulled noodles" with oxtail ever; even on my Asian travels. My friend had yummy sweet-and-sour spare ribs served with rice and bok choy - not breaded or deep fried thank you; and amazing flavor. Everything for less than $20. Modern chinese ; lots of noodle soups and plates; traditional dishes, ample portions, I didn't see any alcoholic beverages. 20 feet away from the famous original Yogurt Park.