New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Price range: USD 20 - USD 25
Cuisines: Middle Eastern, Persian
Good for: Kids, Groups, Child-friendly
Columbia SC
“Have gone back several times and have not been disappointed.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2012

I visit the Bay area on business several times a year and I always make a point of visiting Shalizaar for dinner. The food was particularly good this time so I went twice in the one trip! The owners are there all the time and take pride in their food and service. They are very friendly and welcoming. It is simply great Iranian food and the bread is fresh baked and delicious. I also like the decor of the restaurant as it adds to the pleasant dining experience. The prices are also very reasonable.

For visitors that are staying in the area while transiting through SFO it is a short drive from the Millbrae / Burlingame area and worth the trip.

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank Axsdata

Scottsdale, Arizona
“You've got to try the salmon!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2012

Went with business colleagues and thoroughly enjoyed this restaurant. Nice ambiance, great food. Look for Mahi on the menu...that's the salmon, and it's wonderful.

2 Thank Marie-Ilene
San Luis Obispo, CA
“Best Persian Food We've Found So Far”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2012

My husband and I made another 3+ hour drive to the Bay Area so we could eat here! This is the best Persian food we've found on the West Coast.
The first time we came early on a week evening and it was quiet. This recent visit was a Sunday evening of the 3-day weekend. We did not make reservations and got there around 5:30 PM, so we were seated in the "no reservations" area near the front desk. And we weren't the only ones sitting here. Soon the bar was full with no-reservation diners.
And about 6:30 PM, the whole place was full! The 30-person birthday party bash near the back easily had the joint hopping!
The warm, fresh-made flat bread arrived at our table...with the plate of greens (basil, mint, cilantro, tarragon), zingy radishes, boiled walnuts and a mild yummy feta cheese. We enjoyed finding the right mix of cheese and greens to make the bread taste even better.
I usually get the Zereshk Polo since I love the tang of the barberries, but I decided it was a great time to try the Shirin Polo - with the pistachios, almond and orange peel. Wow! The chicken thighs were so tended and had a sweet glaze on them. And the rice was great for leftovers!
My husband got the Soltani. The Filet Mignon was so tender and a nice medium rare. The ground beef was good well, with a little cumin going on.
I had the rose water dessert - love that rose water taste lingering on my taste buds. I took a few spoonfuls of my husband's saffron-pistachio ice cream and mixed it with my rose water flavored ice....wishing I had an ice cone ice shredder so I could make my own rose water ice cones.
Well worth a stop when you're in the area!

• Visited February 2012
1 Thank LisaLovesPaul
Columbia SC
“I love Iranian food and Shalizaar hits the spot”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2011

Friendly Iranian owners and staff. The food is very predictable (in a good way) Iranian fare. Some Iranian restaurants try for a more creative approach and that is OK. But Shalizaar sticks to the sort of food you would get in Tehran or Shiraz. Their Khoresh Gormeh Sabzi is very good, though I prefer a little more dried lemon.

They bake their own bread. I always ask for sangek bread but alas I have not found any Iranian restaurants that do it.

• Visited September 2011
Vienna
“The best Persian restaurant in the Bay Area”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2011

We found this restaurant through the Internet 4 years ago while visiting the Bay Area, we were at first skeptical because of the different reviews, the restaurant was quite small, but we were amazed how good the food was, so good that we went there again the next year. 2 years ago, the restaurant moved to a huge place and it now looks absolutely fantastic with lots of parking. Every time we are in the Bay Area, we never miss this restaurant because we love their food, their excellent service and the nice ambiance!

• Visited December 2010
1 Thank Maximilliane

Been to Shalizaar Restaurant? Share your experiences!