“THE BEST!”

Iron Gate Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Iron Gate Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 77 Restaurants in Belmont
Price range: USD 30 - USD 30
Cuisines: American, International
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Ralston Ave.
Transit: cal-train Belmont Station 3 blocks. Samtrans 1 block
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

A return visit to our favorite restaurant, this time for my wife's birthday. Upon arrival, at 6:30 P.M., the main portion of the restaurant was nearly empty, but the sequestered "special-event" portion was full, due to celebration of a religious holiday. (however, when we departed at 8.M., the place was full). As always, the dining area was spacious, immaculately clean, comfortable and quiet.

Our delightful waiter, Bob (a frustrated jazz singer), prepared our Caesar salad for two, table side. My wife enjoyed a glass of Sterling Cabernet Sauvignon, and I opted for a non-alcohol Beck beer (I was driving). A palate-cleansing ?sorbet was served between salad and entree.

Previously, we would order the wonderful Steak Diane, but this time we decided to try the Veau moutarde flambe, which was prepared, to perfection, at the table by super-friendly Captain, Colin, who has been with this restaurant for years. WOW, what incredible sauce and generous portions, with broccoli and carrots on the side. This is now our absolute favorite entree, to date.

When we were through, Bob brought a surprise container of ice cream, with chocolate syrup, complete with one birthday candle and two spoons.

Fabulous meal, environment and personnel

An aside: We are considered old world or "classic" types, in that we dress our best, to honor the restaurant. This particular evening, men showed up in jeans, khakis, and short-sleeved sport shirts. We refuse to change our ways!

Reviewed 27 August 2018 via mobile

Five adults and our 6 year old grand daughter enjoyed wonderful time at the iron gate for our daughter in law’s 40th birthday. We were greeted by handsome mature waiters who called our grand daughter, Princess. Appetizers list was hard to decide but best ones ever. Chicken Marsala delicious. We will be back.

Reviewed 24 August 2018 via mobile

Looking for a restaurant open after 9pm and found Iron Gate. Like going back in a time machine! Your parents had their birthdays send anniversaries here! Fantastic! Since we arrived late there were only a few tables occupied, and after a few minutes we had the whole place to ourselves. The staff remained courteous and professional throughout. The menu, again, was like something from 50 years ago. The wine list was extensive from reasonable to extravagant. We both ordered a Hess Chardonnay to begin, reasonably priced at $9 a glass. Then we both ordered French Onion Soup for starters. Very good, but not the best I’ve ever had. I ordered Veal Marsala and my partner ordered Steak au Poivre. My veal was excellent, but the steak was amazing! Perfectly cooked and flambéd at the table. We finished with the Chocolate Soufflé. To be honest, it’s a vanilla soufflé with a chocolate sauce poured over it, still very good, but not the real thing. They offer it in several different flavors, so I guess that’s why. They just pour different sauce over it. The service was impeccable. Overall a great old fashioned dining experience.

Reviewed 1 August 2018 via mobile

My coworkers and I ate dinner here a few nights ago and it was great! This was a retirement dinner with just the 3 of us coworkers. The owner and wait staff went way out of their was to make it a special, memorable meal! The food, atmosphere and staff were excellent! Thank u so much for a memorable night. Sincerely Firefighter B.N.

Reviewed 24 July 2018 via mobile

We decided to stay local rather than go to San Francisco and we are glad we did. Had amazing service and food at the Iron Gate. We started with the flambé bacon spinach salad for two and I had the veal Mountard flambé which was the first time for this entree. It was delicious and the sauce was light and creamy with a slight taste of light mustard. I will order this again. My husband ordered the rack of lamb which was cooked medium rare to perfection. We shared a berry soufflé which is a speciality and you need to order this when you order your meal.
Colin, who does all the flaming dishes is very entertaining and has worked at Iron Gate for over 38 years!! He knows his stuff!!!