All reviews continental breakfast third floor no elevator top floor vancouver island wedding victoria
Reviewed 18 September 2017

Sadly I do not recommend the English Garden Inn. On their behalf, the Inn is beginning a major renovation project next month. The room that we stayed in (top floor carriage room) was in need of lots of TLC. It needed paint and the bed frame needed to be tightened. Yes, the building is old, but the rooms could be better cared for. We booked a crown room and were put in a carriage room. After my husband spoke to management, they gave us a refund of the difference. Do not believe the pictures you see on line. The breakfast was ample.

Date of stay: September 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 5 September 2017

Had a beautiful two nights while celebrating our 5years wedding anniversary with my wife. Great place for peace of mind and all the staff were very helpful and kind. Had a chance to chat with some of them and they are absolutely friendly. Hue was at the reception to receive us and he is a world of talent, very poetic and amazing singer. Had two glasses of red wine on the house celebrating our anniversary, very grateful.

There are a few places that are worn down, especially the carpet but I kinda get it from 100 years old building, but it could be better. Looking forward to seeing how they renovate for next years opening.

Date of stay: September 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
English I, General Manager at English Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2017

Thank you for your review and comments. I will pass this on to Hugh. We do have a great team here. The hotel closes October 9th and plans are to reopen with the new renovation June 2018.
We hope you will come back and see the improvements first hand.

Reviewed 30 August 2017

It's like stepping back in time. It is such a quaint, beautiful inn with an amazing grounds. The balcony overlooking the garden and fountain was spectacular. Just wish there had been room service. Other than that, very friendly, helpful staff.

Date of stay: September 2016
English I, General Manager at English Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2017

Thank you for the comments. Well your wish is our command. Next year we will have a new and improved hotel. We will have a full service restaurant, spa and yes room-service. we will also be adding 14 more rooms.

We close this October and hope to be reopened again early summer of 2018.

We hope to see you again next year and for years to come.

Reviewed 29 August 2017

Beautiful old home, but it ends there. No food, no bartender and we were told that we could not have our own wine in the bar. Building is rundown and in a poor neighborhood. Probably good for weddings, but not for just staying at a hotel.

Date of stay: August 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple

I again thank you for the comments. We serve a large continental breakfast every morning. The restaurant has been closed for 8 years. A new full service restaurant will be open in 2018 with the new spa and events facility. The licensed bar is open from 11 am to 9pm. We cannot allow guest to drink there own beverages at the bar due to the government licencee agreement.
Thank you and have a wonderful summer.
Jay

Reviewed 28 August 2017 via mobile

My two sisters and I recently spent a week on Vancouver Island. Our last night was at the English Inn. Keeping in mind that when booking into a building over 100 years old - some things are likely to be ... old! The Inn is indeed a beautiful and unique establishment and we had a great time! Much of what you need to know is detailed in other reviews. No elevator being probably the most important- up, up, up! Pack lightly! We were offered help but it really would have been ridiculous to drag all our bags to the top, so we just sorted out the essentials. Or room, The Royal Albert King's Room, was a double king bed Jr Suite on the third floor. Two king beds with room to waltz between them and a large sitting area. Be gentle with the windows! Large bathroom with great water pressure in the shower!
The real gem of this hotel stay was Hugh, the Innkeeper! Seemingly running the place single handed he truly made our stay memorable! Polite, professional, witty, filled with information on the hotel, its history and surroundings, directions to dinner and ancient Celtic poetry!
I truly hope the management know what they have in him! Not your average front desk experience!
Definitely hope to return after the new development is completed!

Date of stay: August 2017
Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank milkmaid44

Sorry for the late reply. Thank you for taking the time to review us. Its 112 years old and is about to have its huge renovation. New everything. We will keep its history and charm but add a full service restaurant, spa and events facility.

I hope you will come back and take advantage of the spa when we open Summer 2018.