All reviews double room great hotel black forest wellness norm basement decoration beds germany town english
Reviewed 7 August 2017

I was slightly concerned about this hotel before our arrival – partly because of no air-conditioning in a bit of a heatwave, but it also just didn’t seem appealing. I need not have worried as its website really does not do it justice!

We stayed in room 64 which was a “double room F” and one of their modern rooms. Peering through other doors leads me to believe that some of the more “traditional” rooms could feel very dated, but our room was lovely. There was masses of storage – so would be no problem if you were using it as a family room. The bathroom was fairly small but with a proper walk in shower and the balcony was a really useable size.

Although there was no air conditioning there was plenty of external sun-shading and venting shutters, so even though the weather was hot the room was comfortable at night.

There was no kettle in the room (the norm in Germany), but, when we asked, we were shown a coffee maker and water heater in the basement which was available 24hrs (a nice touch) so we kept some milk in the room fridge for my morning cuppa.

The pool was a reasonable size. A little chilly when you first got in but not too much so.

Lots of interesting little touches around the hotel could make it a fun place to stay with children (spot the animals could keep them occupied for a while). Black Forest Gateau on the terrace in the afternoon was very good (especially when returning from the Schwarzwalbahn Adventure trail from train station which was a little steeper than we had appreciated!)

Location is reasonable with the main tourist attractions of Triberg being about 15mins drive away. The hotel is within easy walk of the village, but there is a limited amount to do there though we did eat at Restaurant Klosterstuble which served simple but well prepared food. Parking at the hotel was straightforward and plentiful.

The negatives – no still water available in the room, toiletries were not replenished (we were there for three nights), breakfast was OK but we had better elsewhere, we ate in the restaurant twice an on the second occasion the service was very slow (we arrived at 7:15 and did not get our main course until gone 9pm).

These negatives almost caused me to drop a star, but they were not quite bad enough to do so and in my mind the hotel just scrapes a 5.

I would stay here again if we were in the area but probably would not make a special trip to do so.

Room Tip: Book a modern room rather than the traditional
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 June 2017 via mobile

I really enjoyed the stay here. Beds are comfortable and rooms adequate. There must be a number of types of rooms as mine fairly basic but very clean and comfortable. I had a large terrace shared with next door room - who smoked outside my open door (it was exceptionally hot ) so that's my only gripe.

The pool is tiny so not good for a swim but great for a dip. There is also a small golf course.

The restaurant is first class. The evening meal was the best we have had in some time. The staff recommended the wine and they were excellent too. Thee staff speak English and there are English menus available too. Breakfast is buffet style with wide variety of breads jams cheeses yoghurt eggs etc

We came on a biking holiday and the roads here are wonderful for bikes.

All in all an excellent 5 day stay.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 June 2017 via mobile

In this hotel you will understand the concept of perfection. Everything here is managed in the smallest details. From the decoration to the tables for breakfast. The employees are extremely attentive and polite. The menu of typical dishes of the restaurant and the wine list is a must. The are only two negative aspects: a) restaurant has no english menu, what is unacceptable for a hotel of this level and b) the wi fi does not work in the rooms, but with everything else working so well, this did not bother us.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 December 2016

Very nice and charming family hotel with very good food. Every day you enough choice for the menu. The rooms are very clean and the staff is very helpfully and friendly. Would it surely recommend to stay there! Also the location is very nice and good startpoint to start hiking/walking or doing other things in the nature or small villages.

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 November 2016

I have been here several times (winter and Summer) and it never fails to disappoint.
It is a family run hotel and they are all very friendly and welcoming.
This hotel is a mixture of traditional German style (dark wood, traditional furniture, traditional decoration and the staff dress in the traditional dress,i think it is called the Dirndl) and modern.
The bedrooms are the height of sophistication everything is remote controlled, blinds in between the panes of the double glazing, several levels of LED mood lighting, adjustable posture on the beds, very impressive.
The restaurant is very expansive but with plenty of nooks and cranny's not to make it feel impersonal.
The menu's are only in German and the staff speak little English - so beware. I have had some strange dishes and some very good ones.
I have used the pool late at night, it is a very good way to relax after a long day.

• Stayed: January 2016, travelled on business