“taste of star hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 42 Restaurants in Hampi
Price range: USD 1 - USD 5
Cuisines: Chinese, Indian, Asian
Good for: Cheap Eats, Groups, Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Free Wifi, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Vasco Da Gama, Goa, India
“taste of star hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2012

we are puraniks of goa visited here in october2011. the restorent is located in hills and beautiful river view. and the above a big mango tree.we are very impressed with the food taste. i suggest this hotel to every one who visiting hampi. and homely welcome of the owner.

• Visited October 2011

• Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Bengaluru, India
“OK food. Good place to replax.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2012

I had the popular thalis on two days. THe quality was OK. Mango Lassi was not that great. try Banana coconut shake which was a surprise.
If you are tired of walking hampi, this palce provides a place to sit where you can eat with spreading legs in open air under a mango tree. No chairs guys !
Service was OK. First day had t wait for about 30 minutes.

Visited April 2012
Chennai (Madras), India
“Blending into Hampi”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2012

This was my second trip to the same restaurant in less than a decade and it hasn't changed one bit. The ambience is serene and idyllic. Considering that they have no competition within a 15km radius it must be appreciated that they uphold excellent quality of food and a great spread including kosher food.

When I say excellent quality of food I am referring only to hygiene. One gets to peep into their clean kitchen on the way to wash one's hands and the waiters are constantly wiping tables with disinfectants to keep them clean and to keep critters at bay. There was a terrible housefly infestation on my recent visit and I suspect it is because it was sugar cane season. Be prepared to keep waving your hands over the food as you eat.

The autheticity of what non-Indian fare we ordered was far from what one is used to being served. The French fries were not crisp, was oily and soggy, the pancake looked more like the Indian 'dosa' and the fresh juice we ordered was quite a mash of chunky fruits like papaya. Having said this, the Indian fare was out of this world. We ordered the 'thali' and it was excellent. For those who aren't Indian, my advise would be to go for the Indian food there even if you aren't used to the cuisine. I think the level of spices have been maintained low to suit the palate of those not used to spicy food. It will also complete your India experience (albeit its just a sample of a fraction of the variety of cuisines available throughout India and that it is also not cuisine local to Hampi or the surrounding areas. The 'thali' spread is quite north Indian)

I have absolutely no complaints and would recommend it to anyone travelling to Hampi. The restaurant blends into what one experiences at Hampi among the ruins and adds to the memories you come away with. Am told the river, by the banks of which the restaurant is located is quite scenic during the rainy season but I was there at the peek of summer and all I saw were a few ponds and puddles. It also is the only choice you have for good food in the vicinity. Just wish the waiters had a smile on their faces so I could have rated the restaurant as excellent.

• Visited May 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Bengaluru, India
“Great place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2012

The food is very good and very reasonable. The place is very nicely made, you can just sit facing the river and enjoy the numerous variety of food available. The staff is friendly and te service is very fast. But they are not in a rush. they let you sit and enjoy your food. It is very busy place. You might have to wait your turn, but it is worth it!

Visited January 2012
State College, Pennsylvania
“amazing place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2012

I don't know if I have ever before ate at a restaurant where my kids and I AND my drive could all eat happily. What a fun place. The scenery is gorgeous. The service was incredibly fast. And the food was delicious. And such a variety! I had the traditional thali veg lunch plus a hummus and veg plate. I ended my meal with some delicious rice pudding topped with fresh coconut. My kids had french fries, french toast, fried rice, fresh watermelon, and nutela crepes for dessert. I sat and enjoyed the view while my kids happily scampered about in the shade. What a gem. One of my favorite meals in India. And such a kid friendly place. Heck the owner's own kids are frolicking about as well as you walk though their home to get to the restaurant!

• Visited April 2012