Don't make the mistake of staying in Buhoma (or elsewhere outside Ruhija) if you get permits for the Bitukura or Oruzogo Gorilla groups.
Several travellers we met made this mistake and had to get up at 4 am to make a trecherous 2-hour drive along mountain cliffs before their trek even started.
There aren't a lot of great options in Ruhija. This place is the nicest on offer.
The management cares and they try hard. The head manager went down the street to buy me an local cell phone SIM for me and brought me my change.
At the same time, they don't have the experience or the volume of travellers to deliver a luxury experience.
Geoffrey stood out as particularly friendly and personable with guests. The rest of the staff did not seem to be as comfortable around guests.
The food is average. You may need to request that they run the generator when you need to charge things for longer.
They don't upgrade you to a nicer room even when it's available.
The town is not not yet wired for internet, but you can get it through your phone from the AirTel tower.
Also note-- there is a massive difference in room quality between the dorms and the cabins. The dorms have squat toilets, which are out of place with the western experience the rest of the hotel provides. The separated cabins themselves are quite nice.
Overall, the best option for Ruhija Gorillas, but I would have preferred getting a permit near Buhoma.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Ruhija Gorilla Lodge Bwindi is a unique safari lodge suitable for all classes of travelers; it welcomes you with breath taking scenery of the forest, peace and tranquility – a home away from home, enjoy the melodies of insects and birds, surprise visits of monkeys or even gorillas.Come and experience the Hospitality that is immersed in an entirely new and Refreshing natural ambiance which will make your stay a memorable and enjoyable one!Accommodation:We have three types of rooms all unique from each other: the deluxe cabins, the Superior cabins and standard rooms, they are all carefully designed to blend in with the Natural environment around. All cabins are well equipped with comfortable beds and Furniture that is designed to maximize your comfort. The bath rooms are fitted in with hot and Cold water…Every detail has been taken care of to give you the comfort you deserve! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com so you can book your Ruhija Gorilla Safari Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ruhija Gorilla Safari Hotel Bwindi Impenetrable National Park
- Ruhija Gorilla Safari Lodge Uganda/Bwindi Impenetrable National Park