Hotels.com
Travelocity
Orbitz.com
eDreams
StayForLong
All reviews water hole nature walk one night rooms overlook underground viewing hot water white tailed mongoose quiet place cloud cover per person would love to go back before dinner wooden structure spent two nights trout fishing many years waterhole
Selected filters
Reviewed 24 December 2015

We stayed for one night as part of a Cheetah safari. Unfortunately the weather was poor with a lot of rain which meant very few animals at the waterhole. This, however, did not spoil our enjoyment of this lovely lodge. The rooms were very comfortable and all have an outside balcony so overlooking the water hole

Date of stay: November 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 December 2015

I was blown away.. The views as we drove in (buffalo and the full moon close enough to touch), the reception by Serena staff (who obviously really enjoy their work), and the mouthwatering food! The rooms have a great view of the watering hole, so saw quite a number of animals coming to drink. I have never felt at home, so far away from home! I really enjoyed the experience - if you want great service, quality accomodation and delectable meals, Serena is, to me, the best there is.

Date of stay: August 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 November 2015 via mobile

loved the location in the mountains with the watering hole infront of all the rooms. They even illuminate the hole at night and wake you up if requested when a interessting animal appeares.
A small but nice balcony.

Dinner was amazing, great quality and a custom salad prepared by the chef at the table, just perfect.

A bed warmer in the evening which stayed warm till the morning, fast wifi in the room - perfect in every way.

However the dealbreaker for me were the walls - you can hear every whisper in the next room. I'm not kidding. There is no phone but you dont need one - just speak through the walls.

That doesen't give you much privacy so I would probably not return. Except for a nature walk there are no activities. Very good for a lazy afternoon inbetween busy days. Room definitely on the smaller side.

Date of stay: October 2015
Reviewed 17 November 2015

I was here in may 2014, I really enjoyed my stay here and the food here, the views are really amazing and the balconies give guests an amazing view of the water hole which is really good. I however felt as if I was at the treetops as the design is the same but thats okay. I like the way the lodge is built and the ambience there...

Room tip: I liked my room that was on the left side of the hotel
Date of stay: February 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 31 October 2015

Spent the night of October 1 here and would have liked one more night. It is located in Mt. Kenya National Park. This has a very traditional hunting lodge feel to it. A multi-story large building, it is all wood and a very comfortable feel to both the public rooms and guest rooms. Note that guest rooms are very small, requiring some movement of chairs around to allow movement in the room. Guest rooms could use an updating as it has not been done for many years: clean but dated. Each room has a balcony overlooking a watering hole that is worth looking at day and night (it is partly lighted at night). Animals and birds of all sorts can be seen there at anytime and it is quite fascinating to watch their movements. The lodge also provides a free walk through the surrounding forest (with a guide and armed guard to protect against animals) that was quite enjoyable. Near the end of the walk was a special treat supplied by the guide and hotel that made the walk memorable. We arrived mid-afternoon and the restaurant stayed open in anticipation of our arrival to prepare lunch, a very nice sit-down meal. Dinner is a very nice and varied buffet This lodge is in a very unique area, a tree-top location in the middle of a forest that is unique to Kenya which tend to be dry and flat in most places. A unique opportunity to see wildlife up close is going to the bottom floor of the lodge and walking out to the game viewing area, close to the watering hole but hidden from the animals' views.

Room tip: All rooms have excellent views of the watering hole.
Date of stay: October 2015