First trip to Bavaro/Punta Cana/DR. Stayed for a week as a solo vacationer and enjoyed my visit. I recommend Ocean Blue & Sand and would visit again if traveling as a family, a group, or as a couple. Researched 60 or so resorts before settling on this one.
Arrived in the afternoon and was helped with check-in relatively quickly. Enjoyed a tasty welcome drink. Note that the check in for Privilege patrons is in a separate area than for regular guests. Kind service and help with your luggage. Enjoyed a spacious room with two balconies and a well-stocked mini bar.
There is more to do here than there is time. Never made it to the casino, bowling alley, spa, the Italian restaurant, or the gym. The many options are good as it spreads out the crowds and offers something for everyone. I stayed mostly around the pool and the beach but also enjoyed a snorkeling tour and swimming with sharks/stingrays (costs extra).
What I liked:
- Excellent value if you find a deal
- Fantastic, mostly friendly and English-speaking service
- Really good food. In fact, buffet food was better than a la carte restaurants. Never felt bad from the food.
- Premium drinks and liquor with lots of options
- Plenty of bars and restaurants to choose from. Always something nearby.
- Had the Privilege Club benefits which were nice but aren't essential to have a good time
- Privilege Cabanas at the beach and personal service
- No mosquitos anywhere (except at the bar in the lobby, LOL)
- Beautiful, superbly kept grounds
- Super large pools
- Less than 30 min from the airport
- Some really good evening entertainment (magician, acrobats, Michael Jackson)
- Breathtaking sunrises at 6 am
- Walk for miles along the beach in either direction and pass all the resorts
- Well guarded, feels safe
- Normal, friendly crowd that spreads out well across the vast grounds
- People from everywhere in the world, especially England, the US, Russia, Canada
- Locals seem to like it (and flood the resort on weekends)
- Privilege lounge and breakfast at the beach (yogurt, grapefruit walnut and mimosa, yum)
- Lots of cabanas/tiki huts at the beach compared to other resorts
- Great diving/activity company at the beach for excursions
- You can easily cut your wait times as a solo traveler
- Lots of opportunities to walk (you can take the shuttles too, of course)
- Water aerobics
What I didn't care for:
- There are giant wave breakers in the water to prevent beach erosion
- Aggressive merchants and sales people on the beach, around the pool, at H10, vendors near the restaurants. "No thanks, not today" with a smile works well.
- Music can get a little loud and annoying at certain times
- Beach sport gets cancelled when there is a wedding
- Housekeeping came late most the time
- New staff seems confused at times
- Not the greatest place for singles (then again, few resorts are)
- Too few umbrellas at the pool
- No grapefruit juice
- Noisy staff as early as 5am with loud yelling, construction and motorized vehicles outside my room
- Resort voucher program confusing with conflicting information
Ocean Blue & Sand is a great resort with friendly and helpful staff, suitable for most people. While the list of "do not care for" items seems long, it doesn't compete with the many benefits and pleasant memories of this resort. You will find things to complain about at most resorts. If you are looking for a place that doesn't cost and arm and a leg and does well in a lot of important areas (beach, pool, food, entertainment, service, no mosquitos, drinks, grounds, vacationers), you won't regret your visit. If you run into an issue, just be patient and let them work it out for you. Relax, you are on vacation. And don't forget a bundle of one-dollar bills, as you will constantly feel the urge to tip someone to say "Thanks."
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled on the wonderful beaches of Bavaro, and immersed in tropical foliage, close to the White Sands golf course, the Ocean Blue and Sand is an all-inclusive resort featuring suite accommodations, two luxurious pools, casino, spa and fitness center, dive center and an extensive activity program including childrens' and teen mini clubs, to make your stay an unforgettable experience. All-inclusive: Meals, drinks, cocktails and snacks included 24 hours. Some additional services are available at additional charge. Free WiFi available in all the resort areas. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Evoline ltd, Expedia APAC, Hotels.com, Wotif.com, Prestigia, TripOnline SA, lastminute.com.au, Hooroo Pty Ltd and getaroom.com so you can book your Ocean Blue & Sand reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ocean Blue Punta Cana
- Ocean Blue Hotel Beach
- Ocean Blue Resort Punta Cana
- Ocean Blue Golf Beach Resort Punta Cana
- Ocean Blue Dominican Republic
- Punta Cana Ocean Blue
- Ocean Blue Hotel Punta Cana
- Ocean Blue Resort Dominican Republic