7,559 results
All reviews punta cana la marimba lobby bar star rock cafe steak dominican republic seafood star friends specialty restaurants the oriental restaurant guest services apple vacations make reservations saona island junior suite entertainment staff evening shows
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Hotel, Staff and food was excellent. Will definitely return. Went with my daughters ages 25 and 19. Had so much fun. The beach activities were the best and the beach entertainment staff are truly amazing. The evening shows were also excellent and a good variety. I am a very picky eater and enjoy good food and found something to eat all the time. This is a hotel that treats all people from all over the world like they are special. Staff are always pleasant, food always very fresh, rooms were always clean. My two daughters and a friend all enjoyed this hotel and we all want to return next year. When we returned home to Ottawa, Canada we were already looking at booking our next vacation to the Iberostar Punta Cana. Very good value. The grounds are immaculate yet not overdone. It felt like home away from home suitable for people from all over the world. Great music, activities, good food and a nice size resort that is very easy to walk everywhere. The staff speak Spanish, english, german and French. I even went to the Disco until 3 a.m. with my daughters. We had so much fun that I would book my next vacation here for 2 weeks instead of one. This hotel and staff makes you want to stay longer. I have nothing but fantastic things to say. This is a trip we will never forget. The size of the resort was perfect. The variety of food was perfect and course the staff exceptional, always attentive. Thank You for making this holiday special.

Date of stay: May 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
3  Thank Victoria G
Reviewed 12 May 2014

We just returned from a one week stay at Iberostar Punta Cana. We traveled with four kiddos, and they had a fantastic time. They swam all day, ate pasta, french fries and endless ice cream, and slept like logs every night. To see my children smile all week means more than anything else. That said, I leaned very heavily on trip advisor before we traveled, so I wanted to provide feedback on our experience.

We selected Iberostar specifically because we had stayed at an Iberostar previously and had a wonderful experience (Iberostar Paraisio Maya in Mexico.) My assumption that the quality of accomodation and service would be consistent at another Iberostar was wayyyyyy off. The rooms were clean and sufficient, but 100% average...nothing even remotely luxurious or impressive about them. The beds were adequate, but obviously old and need to be updated.

We are American, and I am very conscious of the "Ugly American" perception when traveling internationally. I worked with my children on their behavior before we traveled and my husband and I were careful to always be deliberately very gracious and friendly to the staff and other hotel guests. During our stay, there were very few Americans as guests. Without naming other nationalities or making generalizations, I found the other hotel guests to be unbelievably rude. A grown man literally pushed his way in front of my 9 year old daughter at the buffet line. By the time we got on the airplane to come home, my daughter was overly sensitive to having people "cut" in line (to the point of tears when she thought that people behind us on the plane were going to get off before we were - long flight, ready to move the legs, etc.) Funny to talk about - but in reality, not funny, because there was no common courtesy shared among other hotel guests.

I had read about how wonderful the service was at this hotel, and how tipping went such a long way with service and also benefited the staff members that work so hard. Well, I will say I saw the same staff members working breakfast, lunch and dinner. I will also say that we may have gotten a handful of "thank you's" after giving our servers a tip. I'm not looking to be thanked, per se. But I did not find the staff to be appreciative. They were completely indifferent, sometimes barely acknoweldging us when we said "thank you/gracias." I also noticed the staff members (especially the younger ones) being more focused on socializing with other staff members vs. paying attention to waiting guests. ***The bartenders in the lobby bars in Punta Cana and Dominicana were the exception - very friendly and happy to see us. Overall, our service experience was very diffrerent than what I read from other reviewers.

The vendors are soooooo pushy. I know this is to be expected in public areas, but they are on the resort grounds as well. The resort street of shops on the Domincana side is the perfect example of the solicitation for sales of services and goods.Also, there are multiple excursion vendors roaming the pool and beach areas. I was unable to read or nap on our first day by the pool because I was constantly approached by schmoozy men trying to sell excursions. The vendors must have recognized us as new guests that were prime for the taking. I actually had two different vendors competing for our business while I was IN THE POOL with my kids. They were kneeling on the side of the pool, each with their brochures, taking turns arguing over why their respective excursions were better than the other (one to Saona, the other to Catalina.) On one of our last nights in Punta Cana, there was also a group of vendors that set up near the entry way from the courtyard to the main lobbies. So then we were solicited upon our return from our excursion, on our way back to dinner, and then again when we returned to our room.The hotel should protect their guests from this kind of harassment.

Lastly, the food. I agree the hotel does a good job of catering to an international audience. But again, the service was pretty poor. At the Asian restaurant, we waited forever for a drink order to be taken, and then another ten minutes for the drinks to come. And then no offer for refills throughout our stay. Service was slightly better at the Steakhouse on the beach (which was by far the best meal of our entire vacation.) The "American" style restaurant was a joke. The waiter was outright rude to us and stormed off when we explained we wanted to start with appetizers and hold off on ordering. He was so dramatic is was comical. There were not many hot vegetables served at the buffets, and I was cautioned by our doctor to not consume the salads or raw veggies. But by Wednesday I broke down and had some cucumbers and carrot spears. Needless to say, I had stomach cramps by Thursday and they still continue now (Sunday evening.)

The resort is pretty spread out, so we did a lot of walking throughout the days we were there. The Dominicana side has a much nicer lobby, better entertainment, more shops, closer to the street of shops, the spa, the "fun" side of the pool, etc. The ATM in the Dominicana lobby was broken for a few days so we walked over to the Bavaro to use their ATM. No big deal, just more walking.

Again, my kids did not really notice these details (with the exception of the other rude hotel guests) and they had a great time. They were happy and carefree, which made everything else tolerable. I will not be returning to the Domincan Republic. Once was enough. I will also not "assume" that another Iberostar vacation is a safe bet...I will research our options much more thoroughly before we travel again.

Safe travels...

Room tip: We had a room on the third floor in the 5000 block facing the hotel next door (rooms 5223 and 5224.) It was quite in the evening, and pretty close to the pool.
Date of stay: May 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
5  Thank mers1972
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Cleanest hotel I've ever seen. Even the beach bathrooms were immaculate.

Service was great. My friends had a problem with the air conditioner and the hotel sent a technician as soon as they mentioned it.

The beach was beautiful and very clean. Hotel employees raked it and picked up what the tide washed in.

There are beach huts with chairs. To reserve your place, you put you towel on a chair. This starts about 7am when the employees put out the chairs.

The buffet restaurants were great. The food was fresh, varied and delicious. The specialty restaurants were less interesting. It was as though the food had been hanging around on the steam table for a while. After two tries, we went back to the buffets.

The local beer was good. Sometimes I managed to snare a pina colada that was the consistency of slush, made with dark rum. A favorite. Oddly enough, there was no decent iced tea.

The wine was dreadful. The plonk served with meals was undrinkable. Even the extra charge bottle we ordered at one of the specialty restaurants was unpleasant. There are so many other good drinks to choose from that the lack of wine wasn't a major inconvenience.

Bring a gallon of your favorite sunscreen because there is no place to buy more. I brought the wrong beach shoes and wanted to buy a pair of Crocs. None to be seen. Souvenir stands abound, but Walmart would have been a lifesaver.

It was a fun trip and the heat was wonderful after a Canadian winter.

Room tip: Closer to the beach is quieter. Avoid the ones near the bandstand unless you really like late night noise.
Date of stay: March 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
4  Thank TravelingOtter441
Reviewed 12 May 2014

This was my second visit to Punta Cana, and my first stay at the Iberostar here. Overall, very nice. Only complaint was the unavailability of reservations for specialty restaurants. Of the three we wanted, we were only able to secure one. We were put on the waiting list for another one, which got us in eventually. The third one we ended up at only because Apple Vacations hosted a dinner there on our last night. Great resort, though, and the food was outstanding!

Room tip: The best view is facing the interior of the resort. There isn't much to look at on the other side. However, we didn't spend a lot of time in the room to begin with, so it really didn't matter.
Date of stay: April 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
3  Thank Christopher D
Reviewed 10 May 2014

Overall we had a good stay at the Iberostar, however there are areas that I would like to see improvement.
- Trip Advisor feedback has feedback from IBS Bavaro, Dominicana & Punta Cana all together so therefor the pictures and feedback and ratings don't reflect correctly.
- Paying for WiFi and the safe is not acceptable, we have been to Punta Cana quite a few times and this is the first time we have had to pay.

- The food lacks variety, particurlarly at dinner, (buffet), and no options for vegitarians, we were there for 2 weeks and we could predict what was would be on offer at dinner. Im guessing the hotel is geared up for shorter stay guests. With 2 buffet restaurants so close together and guests able to use both, some variety between the 2 would have been good.
- The entertainment team - we didn't see the shows as we prefer live music, which I have to say was really repetitive, we could predict the songs, the was a piano near the bar it was never used. The 'games' the Star team played when the band took a break were very childish and again the same every night. The star team were very pushy when it came to asking guests to dance, particurlaly
younger girls, we spoke to 2 who used to hide at reception to avoid

Date of stay: April 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
3  Thank Linda Margaret J
OnlineReputationMngr, Quality Manager at Iberostar Punta Cana, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Dear guest,
In the name of the Hotel Manager, Mrs. Helena Santos, we thank you for choosing IBEROSTAR Punta Cana for your vacation and for sharing your experience at Tripadvisor.
We are very pleased to read that you had a good stay among us.
Likewise, we extend our apologies for the breakdown in the service provided by our Star Friend´s staff and about the inconveniences related to our variety of gastronomy. We have shared you feedback with the corresponding departmental heads who certainly are working to improve our procedures and standards. We would like to clarify though that it is not a true depiction of our standard of operation here at IBEROSTAR Punta Cana.
We kindly invite you to visit IBEROSTAR Grand Hotel Bavaro whose upper level and might satisfy your palate’s expectations. Please do not hesitate to contact us before your next visit.
Best regards,