19,612 results
All reviews colonial club rodeo grill coffee boy supreme buffet le gourmet animation team punta cana chateaubriand swim up bar japanese restaurant swim up room seafood steak wet bar michael jackson show main buffet piano bar
Reviewed 28 August 2007

Myself and my husband were at the Majestic Colonial for our honeymoon from 14th - 21st August for our honeymoon. We travelled with Thomas Cook. This place is absolutely fantastic and I struggle to understand some of the negative reviews previously posted. Some of the complaints I've read about the language barrier are completely unjustified. We speak VERY minimal Spanish and survived no probs. The majority of staff speak excellent English ( even though we are in their country! ) and will even try to help you learn a little Spanish if you are willing and have a little patience, as they do with us.
After a long 8 and a half hour flight from the UK, we moved swiftly through the airport and found our tour rep and bus no problems. Be prepared for the heat, it blasts you as soon as you step off the plane !
After around a 30 minute journey in an air-conditioned coach, which involved some drop-off's at other hotels, we arrived at the Majestic. Hubby and I both had to agree the lobby of the Majestic was far more splendid than any of the others we had caught a glimpse of!
We were greeted with cool lavender scented flannels and their signature drink, the 'Majestic' which is a coconut and orange flavoured ice drink. This was a sign of things to come!
We were checked in quickly & efficiently by Yecci, who was extremely pleasant and friendly and spoke fantastic English, putting our very limited Spanish to shame!
We were then taken over to Reservations where we booked the Japanese restaurant (Matsuri) and the French restaurant (Le Gourmet). As it was our honeymoon, they also made a booking for us for a romantic meal on the beach courtesy of the Seafood restaurant (Tres Carabeles) and also a breakfast in bed!!
We were then shown to our room which was number 3335, which overlooked the spa to the right and the pool bar to the left. We also had a fantastic view of the ocean which was unexpected and a pleasant surprise!
The rooms are exactly as you see in the pictures and as have been described by previous posters. Rooms are very spacious, all marble and tile ( careful when walking around wet, can get a bit slippy! Just use the bathrobe and slippers provided for you in your closet! ). Layout of bathroom and toilet was not a problem in the slightest for us, anyone who does complain should be ashamed of themselves for not doing a bit of research beforehand, in my honest opinion! We had a king-size bed as requested via e-mail prior to our arrival, TV with english speaking channels, fridge filled with soda's, water and beer and coffee making facilities. Air-conditioning was fantastic and a welcome relief from the 30+ degree heat. You can adjust this yourself via a panel on the wall beside the bed. Be aware the air con switches off when you open the patio/balcony doors, but restarts as soon as they are closed. Rooms also have a ceiling fan over the seating area. There was a platter of fruit and cheese & crackers waiting in the room for us, along with a bottle of champagne! Next day there was a plate of sushi with a bottle of white wine, and the next day there was a plate of little cakes & pastries along with a bottle of red wine, I felt so spoiled!!
EVERYWHERE in this resort is absolutely spotless, you will not find any litter or dirt anywhere. Always staff members cleaning, sweeping and gardening and they will always acknowledge you with an 'hola' and a smile. It really was heart-warming!
The pool is fantastic, no wonder it's rated the best in the Caribbean! It's HUGE and again is immaculate. As stated in other reviews, you can join in with the fun with the Animation team around the pool bar, or sunbathe with a cocktail in the quieter area's nearer the lobby, the choice is yours. There are 2 bars along the side of the pool and also the bar right beside the pool with the swim-up bar alongside it. No problems at all getting drinks anywhere at anytime, whether you decide to tip or not. We had to learn the Spanish for a little rum & a lot of cola as they pour them sooooo strong!! lol.
Food is abundant at this resort, the main buffet area is fantastic, and as it's air-conditioned, a nice relief from the heat during the day. Lots & lots of choice at breakfast, lunch & dinner and there will be items that you won't like.... but tonnes that you will!! I would like to thank Blass who works in the main buffet area, who was so friendly & kind to us the 1st night we arrived. I came to think of him as my Spanish tutor, Blass you have the patience of a saint !!! All the restaurants were excellent with 1st class service. You couldn't take a sip of water but they were over topping up your glass. As soon as you'd finished your cerveza, they'd be over with another for you, absolutely amazing and well deserving of a few dollars tip. Not that a tip is expected, the staff are 1st rate regardless but I feel that excellent service deserves to be rewarded. Of all the restaurants available, my personal fave was the Chinese... so good we went twice ! Seriously, you will not have any problems dining at this resort.
What can I say about the beach that has not already been said? It's paradise, totally breathtaking. Loads & loads of loungers and plenty of room for all. Again, the beach is spotless, you will always see staff out and about cleaning and raking seaweed etc.
The shows every night at 10pm and the sports bar afterwards are sooo much fun. I'd like to say thanks to Tyson, Jesus and Julio ( the amazing one-handed pool player! ) for making us feel so welcome and for being such a good laugh. Julio - thanks for pointing out that my name, Lynda, means beautiful in Spanish... you learn something new everyday amigo !
All the staff on the resort are out of this world, all so friendly and make you feel so welcome. They always have a smile for you and want to get to know you better, so make the effort and get to know them... your holiday will be so much more fun if you do.
This review is getting rather long now, and I don't want to repeat too much of what has been said in previous reviews. Basically, this resort is paradise, beautifully kept, excellent food, luxurious accomodations and the friendliest staff you will ever meet. We're looking to return for our 1st year anniversary next August so look forward to seeing everyone again then. Only thing I could complain about....... having to come home !!!

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
22  Thank UkScottishlass
Reviewed 27 August 2007

I just came back from the Majestic and am missing it already. The resort was so clean and new - LOVED the ensuite jacuzzi. Food wsa great with lots of variety (there were four different a la carte restaurants). Beach was great and I really appreciated all the beach umbrellas that were always readily available. Staff was also very nice and willing to help (despite my lack of Spanish speaking skills). I developed a relationship with one particular beach concierge who was particularly helpful. Denny was his name-- he even taught me some spanish.

The resort provides non-motorized water sports equipment but they close too early at 4, but that's my only complaint. Otherwise, the resort was just perfect.

Oh, and remember to get your fill of the "Majestic" drink while you're there!

• Trip type: Travelled with family
11  Thank dooodad
Reviewed 27 August 2007

Just amazing. Organization, attention, food, service, excellent equiped rooms, white-sand beach, etc...... I planned there the engagement with my feyonce and the dinner the hotel prepared us at the beach was the most beautiful and romantic dinner i have ever seen, really.
Special thanks to the Managing Director, Mr. José María, who treated us exceptionally well.
An excellent hotel

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 August 2007

My wife and I recently traveled to Punta Cana with another couple, and stayed 6 nights at the Majestic Colonial. We loved it! Over the last several months I had done a ton of research and read a million reviews about the different resorts in Punta Cana. Several of the reviews that I read were about the Majestic. Almost everyone had nothing but great things to say, but there were a few people who thought otherwise. Let me just say, if you are looking to have a great time and want to feel welcome somewhere, then the Majestic is the place for you.

We booked our reservation through the Vacation Store in Miami, and saved a ton of money by avoiding Expedia, Orbitz, and Travelocity. Seriously, it was a lot cheaper. Prior to my vacation, like many others on TA, I wrote several posts about what I should expect when traveling to the Majestic. To my surprise, I was getting answers from Emily who actually works at the resort. I was so pleased that I had someone providing me with great service, and I had not even left my home yet. She gave me insight on everything from restaurants to the water quality in the hotel.

When we arrived to the hotel, we were greeted by a man with cold towels to wipe our faces. The check-in was smooth, and we were escorted to our room by Keyla (from the front desk). On the way to the room, she told us about several of the amenities, and all of the restaurants. We had a swim-up room (2138) and were directly across from the swim up bar and animation team (something that I asked Emily for prior to the trip and she delivered). The room was huge and in my opinion, would be considered superior accommodations in the United States. We had a bottle of champagne and some fresh fruit and cheese waiting for us in our room. This was a great way to start the vacation after a long day of traveling.

During our stay, I was blown away with how nice the resort was. The beach was breathtaking, and my friend made a comment that it felt like we were in a Corona Beer commercial. There were plenty of chairs available, and it seemed like we got the same spot everyday. We made full use out of the free watersport activities, and enjoyed watching the entertainment staff teach aerobics on the beach. The animation staff convinced me to play Croquet, and I actually won. I was given a bottle of rum by Keiko for my accomplishment. If you see Keiko, tell him Tiger Woods says hello. The pool has to be the biggest that I have ever seen, and it was not crowded.

The entire staff at the resort treated us like royalty. We dined at every restaurant,drank at every bar, and had only one issue where the service was sub par. I think that this may have been because they were in the process of closing for the evening. Otherwise, the employees hustled and worked their rear ends off.

One piece of advice I will give you is to give gratuities to the employees. You are not required to, but it really goes a long way. We tipped $4-$5 at every meal for 4 of us. We also tipped our bartenders, luggage handlers, housekeepers, and anyone else who gave us great service.

We did a few activities while there, including ATV rides, and a snorkeling trip. If you are interested in snorkeling, go to the Turinter desk and ask for Ronny. Ask him about the "Caribbean Festival". They take you snorkeling with Lemon Sharks (they have no teeth and eat by suction) and Sting Rays (they remove the barbs, so they have no stingers),and then on the way back there is an open bar with national drinks, seasonal fruits, and cold cuts. This is a must!!

Now I want to address some of the concerns that I have see on the Majestic forums.

1) Food Quality - The food was above average. It was not outstanding, but it was also not terrible. There are 7 restaurants, so there is a good amount of variety available. I recommend the buffet in the front of the resort, the Japanese steakhouse, Le Gourmet, and the Steakhouse by the beach in the evening. We had dinner at another resort one night, and the food was not very good. From what I have read, the Majestic has some of the best food in the area.

2) Bathrooms - The toilet area is a little small, but it was not what everyone is making it out to be. I am a 260 pound man, and I had no problems with the facilities. The shower is quite large, and it would have been nice if they would have given a little of that space to the toilet area. As for the door on the toilet room, they are similar to a bathroom stall. It was a little unusual from what I have seen, but it was not a big deal. If you are afraid of making noise in front of other people in the room, then have them turn the volume up on the tv.

3) Bed - The bed was a little hard, but I slept great each night. I was a little stiff in the mornings, but it would only last about 5 minutes.

4) Liquor - If you plan on drinking a lot, make sure that the liquor you like is available. I drink Captain Morgan Rum, and was surprised that they did not have it. They do have several other international brands of liquor available. My suggestion is to submit a post in the forum and a hotel attendant will respond back with whether or not you drink of choice is available. Major Tip For You: Go to Target and buy a Bubba Keg!!! They are only $7. Someone posted this recommendation and we did it. We looked like geniuses. It is so hot there, that the drinks melt very quickly. The Bubba Keg kept our drinks cold for hours.

In closing, this resort was fantastic, and I plan on going back next year. We live in Florida, and could not have gone to Miami for less than what we spent to go to the Majestic (including airfare). Trust me, book your stay at this resort and you will not be disappointed. I hope this review helps you if you are trying to decide where to stay. Please feel free to contact me with any questions.

26  Thank Grant_FL
Reviewed 26 August 2007

Just got back August 25. Had an excellent vacation, thanks to very attentive staff members and seamless, no hassle resort atmosphere. First off, BEWARE EXPEDIA as they NEVER MADE OUR RESERVATION until I called the resort personally. I have never, ever encountered anything like them. Expedia took the money but did not make the reservation,until I spent 1 hour with them the night before. I had to call the resort MYSELF to make sure that we were not without a room in a foreign country. A man named Norberto in reservations personally took control and fixed everything.He even met us at check in and escorted us to our rooms,even though it was an Expedia error. The entire stay, including food, drinks, staff, beach, room, were all flawless. The Dominican people are social, sweet people. Of several trips to the DR this is tops.Happy guests, happy employees, happy me!

• Trip type: Travelled with family