Majestic Colonial Punta Cana
USD 257
Savings alert! 24% below average rates

The price you found is 24% lower than this hotel's average rate of USD 338/night.

USD 240
USD 293
Melia.com
USD 538
19,034 results
All reviewscolonial clubrodeo grillsupreme buffetle gourmetanimation teampunta canaswim up barjapanese restaurantchateaubriandswim up roomsteakmain buffetseafoodwet barmichael jackson showpiano barbeach restaurant
Reviewed 17 January 2018 via mobile

There are many mixed reviews of this resort, so I decided to keep an open mind and book it. My sister had also stayed here on her honeymoon a couple of years ago and had no complaints.

So the good and our favourite part was the colonial club pool bar. Marcos was awesome, always had laughs for us and the drinks were always flowing. Also, fellow Canadians - he makes a mean Caesar (yes, they have Clamato!)

The food - I really can’t understand the complaints about food. I don’t expect 5 star gourmet food at a resort, so as far as resort food standards go it was definitely decent. The Japanese hibachi was great, we also enjoyed the fillet minion at the le gourmet, and the seafood restaurant and rodeo grill were also very enjoyable. Steak was always cooked perfectly. The supreme buffet had a decent variety for dinner and lunch. We normally ate at the beach side buffet for lunch which had a slightly different offerings. Breakfast buffet was plentiful and lots of variety. To the complaints that say the selection is the same every day, I am not sure what else you could possibly be looking for.

The beach was beautiful, sand was clean. The grounds were very well maintained. We had no issues getting a cabana or lounge chair even in the afternoons which was great not having to get up early to reserve them.

We were in a colonial club room with a partial ocean view. We came back from the excursion from hell one night after 7:00pm (saona Island, don’t do it) and had been stuck in the rain so we were freezing. We wanted to use the jacuzzi to warm up but by that time the water was mildly warm at best. No water issues other than that though. We had a butler that got us set up the first day with dinner reservations, but after that we didn’t see him. We called his extension a few times for assistance but he was never there so one of the other butlers would help us out.

Room service was ok. We ordered dinner one night and only received one entree. We were tired and rather than making a fuss we just split what we received. We got a call about an hour later making sure we received our food. I mentioned the missing entree and they said they’d send it right up. About an hour later it finally showed up. Our first order was there in about 15 minutes so we were surprised at how long the second one took. By then we were just exhausted and quite frankly had chalked it up to them forgetting about us.

Now here’s the bad. Check in was very awkward. We went to the regular counter first, but were told since we had a colonial club room we needed to go to the colonial club check in. No big deal. However, when we got there they sat us in a chair at a desk with a woman who did not acknowledge us at all but was talking to another employee in Spanish. After a few minutes someone came to get our passports. The length of our stay or room type was not verified which I found strange. My boyfriend was given a paper to fill in and then we just sat there for awhile. Finally someone said come with me and our butler came and showed us to our room.

Check out was even more of a disappointment. We went to the colonial club to check out but they said the computer was down and to go to the main lobby. There was no one in the colonial club front lounge so we went to the regular counter, they told us they couldn’t help us and sent us back to the colonial club. Back at the colonial club the first person we spoke with still said they had computer problems. However another butler at the desk beside him said he could help us. However when we booked our room one of the perks was a spa credit, which I only used part of the value of. At check out they claimed to have no knowledge of the credit and tried to charge us for the spa services. I gave them my printed copy of my booking confirmation and they got on the phone with someone. After about 10 minutes they offered an amount that was less than on my printed confirmation and also less than the amount I actually used. They wanted us to pay the difference. It took me having to get upset before a third butler came out of nowhere and apologized for the mix up and granted us the full amount as per my booking. If you have any type of bonus with your booking I’d pay close attention and bring documentation!

All in all I’d probably go back, although I’d definitely look at other options just having the way check out was handled leaving a bitter taste in my mouth. It is a good value overall though.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
7  Thank lala155021
Quality-Majestic, Customer Care at Majestic Colonial Punta Cana, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2018

Dear lala155021,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay with us.

It is truly a pleasure for us to receive your impressions of this trip and we are so pleased to hear that you found it to be an enjoyable experience.

Here at Majestic, it is never our intention to inconvenience our guests by any means. We do everything in our power to provide you with a quality experience and wonderful memories. However, occasionally a situation may arise which is out of our control. Be it unexpected operational adjustments, these situations are limited and rare but when they do occur, we try to minimize our guests’ inconvenience and put extra effort and care into creating a wonderful experience for them. If we have failed to do so for you, please accept our apologies.

We are truly saddened to know that this was your impression of our fine resort. We hope you will give us another chance to show you the true Majestic way.

Reviewed 17 January 2018

Went with my fraternity brothers for a couple of days in January. Shoutout to Bartender Starlin Rosa whos located in the bar in the lobby downstairs. He treated us like kings and was very attentive. Food was also great and cant complain about room service. I will be back!

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank Darby V

Dear Darby V,

Thank you so much for your wonderful words and for taking the time to tell the TripAdvisor community about your stay.

It really thrills me that you had a wonderful stay and that we were able to achieve one of our main goals, which is to make you feel like royalty.

We would love the opportunity to welcome you back. Please let us know when you're booking your next visit so we can be ready to give you a warm, Majestic welcome.

Reviewed 17 January 2018

Summary: Not bad hotel but will not return and do not recommend this hotel for families

Facts 'n' figures:
- Stayed for 2 weeks from December 24th 2017
- Selected the hotel due to 4.5 rating and 90% of reviews being 4 or 5
- Travelled with my wife, 8 year old son and 7 year old daughter - all stayed in the standard room - 1st floor with balcony.

What went wrong- in summary ageing hotel beset with infrastructure issues and woeful management ability to deal with them. Experienced this as unrelenting series of problems with the room - wasted maybe 8 hours of my vacation waiting around for promised fixes that took hours to resolve in every case

List of issues:
- Key cards not working on check in
- Learned first night they put us in room 100 ft from a stage that blares live music to 9.30 every night. Kids go to sleep hours earlier but we ended up letting them stay up later as no chance of sleep until the din stopped.
- No phone at all in room until we chased one down - reception swore blind there must be one but we eventually forced them to provide one three days in.
- Learned quickly that while all food is beautifully presented about 90% plus is cold - and not by design. Even when you arrive as soon as buffet opens. you can always find something to eat but it was pretty hit or miss on whether it was actually tasty. And we don't have particularly demanding needs.
- About a week into the holiday, after traipsing up and down to reception 4 times over an hour, I eventually convinced them the key card was not the issue preventing my room door opening. I waited by the room for another half hour for the technician to arrive and be told it was failed batteries in the door lock, which he fixed in 5 mins. Since then have seen other reviews mention this problem but reception seemed clueless about this sort of thing.
- There is a great pool and indoor area for kids where you can (supposedly) leave them - only thing is you can't leave them because there are 2 supervisors for the whole place and lots of "out of sight" places where developing swimmers could get into trouble. So you can take the kids there but should only leave them there if you are happy they are not really being supervised. Not us - we are pathetic over-protective 21st century parents.
- There is laundry service but the instructions say leave the bag of clothes and the completed form on the bed. And the housekeeping staff ignore them when cleaning the room contrary to what the instructions say. So you have to traipse them up to reception and leave with guest services. After that it was fine and takes a few days to return. On top of the days you have waited in vain for the housekeepers to take it when they clean the room.
- New Years Eve. if you stay on this day don't go to bed before midnight - the heavy artillery fire over the hotel for 15 mins at midnight will give you a heart attack. I thought "viva la revolucion" before I woke up enough to realize what it was. Not perhaps that bad but on top of everything else by this stage was getting tired of unexpected stuff like that.
- On 2 jan arrived at the buffet to signs there was none - instead it was "beach party" night - meaning traipse down to the beach and eat the same stuff outdoors where the mozzies could have a good bite at us (otherwise there were not many actually). There were nowhere near enough tables on the beach either so all a bit chaotic, impossible to actually see what was on offer (no lights and no labels).
- On 4 jan our room safe (which took a toothbrush pressing buttons to punch in the codes in the previous few days where fingers were no longer strong enough) finally died. I called to report this and was advised by reception that the tech would be there in 3 mins. 25 mins later I called again and was told "he is on his way". 25 mins later I called down to the pool and asked my wife and kids to traipse up to reception and stay there in order to shame management into acting. My wife called down from reception and said she "really thinks someone is on his way now". 25 mins later reception called and I confirmed - "nope - no one here yet". He finally arrived a few mins later and took him 5 mins to fix it by replacing a circuit board in the door. I hadn't really wanted to spend 2 hours in the room on the 3rd last day of my holiday so when the safe stopped working again 24 hours later we carted round passports, valuables etc in our backpack down to the pool.
- On the last morning there we noticed the water leaking through the room roof. It was just a drip so we waited until we were checking out a few hours later to let reception know, not trusting them to do anything about it for hours anyway.

Why 3 stars then if its so terrible?
- It wasn't all bad at all. Grounds were beautifully kept, there was a great sandy beach, an immensely long pool that was only 1.15m deep end to end so perfect for my kids to stand in (no worries about deep bits for rookie swimmers), the actual staff were very friendly, there was decent bandwidth free internet, the bars had "premium" spirits all you had to do was ask for them, the kids pool area was great and large - you just have to stay there with them.

The problem is that having paid a lot of money and wanting 2 weeks relaxation I don't expect luxury but I do expect that if there are so many problems due to ageing infrastructure then management need to a) be completely on top of problems when they crop up and b) communicate clearly and accurately with their guests about them.

Sadly the management (and by this I mean the staff at reception) do neither. I would suggest shopping around for another hotel in Dominican Republic - there are plenty to choose from - and I certainly will the next time I visit the country.

Room Tip: Young kids? Insist on a room well away from reception end of the hotel - the incredibly loud live music will keep them awake otherwise.
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
5  Thank MuddyMac

Dear MuddyMac,

We have aspecifically noted your comments regarding your food experience. Please be assured that we take this matter very seriously and is of paramount importance to us as we strive to offer a wide option of restaurants with different variety for our guest’s satisfaction.

We are truly sorry to know that your experience did not turn out to be thoroughly satisfactory. On behalf of all of us here at Majestic, we apologize for any inconvenience you experienced during your stay, and we promise to review and analyze all your comments in order to improve. In addition, we will continue with training, developing and improving the work of our associates to ensure that they always able to satisfy, and even exceed, our guests’ expectations.

We strive to provide for our guests an exceptional experience in our resort through the hard work and know-how of our associates. It is very important to us that every guest receives this star treatment. We have forwarded your comments to the immediate attention of our General Manager for review and improvement.

I understand that we cannot undo your experience, however I would like to extend my sincere apologies for the shortfalls you experienced.

Reviewed 16 January 2018

Just got back from a great vacation with my wife and 4y old son. Let me start by saying I have always looked forward to the internet search when planning the next vacation destination. Sadly not needed anymore this place has it all and everyone wants to return. Large clean beautiful resort with great food great staff shopping entertainment casino waterpark and great beach. Places to party lots of private quiet areas no rush for spots by the pool which is huge. Our room 2318 was nice big and clean only saw 1 tiny ant in room all week actually was completely bug free everywhere. Staff at the wet bar Avrin and Jose were incredible and the wait staff in the restaurants are on top off everything. Great food at all a la carts least favorite was the steakhouse had 2 mushy lobsters the Jap Mex and Seafood were fantastic. The buffet was only visited in the mornings and was above average our lunches were at the beach,One BIG problem is the place seems to be slippery by the pool and in the buffet area. Staff would have been rated a 5 as well but 1 bartender definitely favored the ladies and it was obvious we actually laughed about with others I met, Ola Avrin Cal wants a strawberry drink ...she is the best. Stop searching and choose Majestic Colonial JAN 7 to 14 2018 and TBA

Room Tip: Lower level rooms little more noisy with the guests and staff walking by
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family
4  Thank johnnypod77
Quality-Majestic, Customer Care at Majestic Colonial Punta Cana, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2018

Dear johnnypod77,

Thank you for selecting our hotel for your vacation and for sharing the impression of your stay at our resort.

It is a pleasure to know that you enjoyed our resort, delicious food, beautiful beach and entertainment. We are so glad to know that our staff provided an excellent service.

However, we regret that you didn’t find all food and bar service to your satisfaction. Please be assured that I have specifically noted your comments and brought them to the immediate attention of the Executive Chef and Food & Beverage Manager for review and improvement.

We would very much enjoy the opportunity of welcoming you back and making your next stay absolutely Majestic.

Reviewed 16 January 2018

My apologies for the late review, forgot to submit last Spring, April 2017! We spent one week, our Easter Holidays, at the Majestic Colonial - Adults only/Colonial Club side. We really did enjoy our time there immensely, in fact, we just booked a return trip for this Easter Vacation 2018! Booking our upcoming return trip prompted my memory to write this review!
Although our experience wasn't perfect, we definitely liked the resort enough to want to return. The Pros outweigh the Cons.

PROS:
-We booked the All-Inclusive vacation through Sunwing Vacations, departing from eastern Canada. No issues with Sunwing, this was the 14th 'ALL-INCLUSIVE vacation' we have booked through them to Dominican, Cuba, and Cancun.

-The Resort is absolutely beautiful with tons of foliage, trees, flowers and well lay-out, a great design, not too big and not too small. I love the lazy-river style pools that meander along from one end of the resort to the other.

-Upgrade to Colonial Club is well worth the minimal cost. We enjoyed the more quiet colonial club pool with Bali beds, spent a lot of time there. Bar service in the CC pool was top notch, attentive, fun and enjoyable.

-Our room was huge, very clean and well appointed. Our maids were attentive and friendly. Our balcony was quite big and overlooked the CC pool and we also had a partial view of the ocean, an unexpected bonus! We loved the enormous shower, great water pressure, lots of hot water. Also liked having two sink, felt spoiled in this room, for sure! We only used the jacuzzi tub once, on our anniversary when our butler prepared us a surprise tub (as per my husband's request) with rose petals and the whole nine yards. Sure the furniture is outdated, but who cares?? We were in the Caribbean, so really not spending much time in our room. I heard there have been some renos/updating done to the resort, not sure if this included the CC rooms or not.

-We found the food to be excellent, unless you're incredibly picky, there was ALWAYS something good to eat somewhere. The Supreme buffet had an overwhelming selection for breakfast and lunch, no way one could go hungry! Lots of fresh fruit and veggies, freshly made pizza was always delicious, pasta too. I don't eat much meat myself, but my husband was found a good variety of tasty meats. Hubby's favourite a la carte was the Mat+Suri, Japanese-style restaurant. The food was fresh, abundant and delish, the show entertaining, but I felt like were sort of 'rushed out' after the food was served. We went there twice though and enjoyed. I preferred Taino, part Mexican/Dominican buffet and part a la carte. I had the tastiest Fajitas of my life there, with all the fixings, YUMMY! Also the best tres leche cake, OMG! The meal was great and loved the atmosphere. We liked the steak restaurant by the beach as well, the name escapes me at the moment, it was good, but the lighting was so dim we hardly knew what we were eating! Hubby had the chateaubriand steak, I had chicken, both were good. We didn't have a chance to try Le Gourmet, but we will next time in April when we return! We tried the all-night snack bar one evening after we left the Sport bar, the onion rings and nachos were on point, typical greasy fare, but good.

-The main bar in the downstairs lobby was the happening spot in the evening, cocktails (mojitos, cosmos, etc) were well-made, delish and flowing, a great vibe here before and after dinner! The upstairs piano bar was quiet and classy, also excellent cocktails, although we did not spend a lot of time there.

-NHL hockey playoffs were on when we were there last Easter and my team (TML) had made the playoffs so no way was I missing a game!! The Sports bar had all the NHL playoff coverage on several big screen TVs! I was in my glee to see a full house of mostly Canadians watching play off hockey, and lots of Leafs fans like me, it was a great experience! The drink service was great and a cool setup for watching sports TV.

-We ordered room service one time, it was OK, but the food was not hot when it arrived, but not a big deal for us, really.

-The Colonial Club lounge was practical and of use to us, dropped bt for some finger foods and that delicious signature champagne they serve in all the Majestic resorts: Rebelle! The Rebelle brand had champagne, red, rosé, and white wines, we loved it ALL! We used the CC lounge to book reservations at the Spa, restaurants reservations, etc. Or if we had a question or concern. Dropped by here 2-3 times a day!

-We had a 'spa morning' on our anniversary, a duet massage (awesome!) and did the hot/cold/steam 'spa circuit' with a knowledgeable guide who walked us through each station and described each aspect of the spa circuit, it was a fantastic experience!! Will definitely be repeating this experience in April 2018.

-Our Colonial Club butler was Roldan, a friendly, respective young man, but not really driven to take initiatives, although when provided clear direction, he made various arrangements for us (special anniversary dinner, spa morning, etc) when we told him what we were looking for. He was alright really, but not as attentive as we were hoping for... not that we're 'needy' but we were aware of other patrons whose butlers' sought them out daily, prepared surprises, etc, without prompting, etc. We celebrated our wedding anniversary while we were there, it was particularly special for us since we got married in the Dominican 16 yrs before (in Puerto Plata)! The first day we met him, we tipped him well, with the promise of another instalment at the end of the week, we were thinking this would be a 'motivator'. We still gave a second big tip ($100 in total) at the end of the week although we were somewhat disappointed at the overall butler service.

-The beach was lovely, phenomenal even... soft, white sand forever in both directions, cleaned regularly and never crowded. Bar Service in Colonial Club side was excellent and reliable, loved the Bali beds on the beach too! The sea was rather 'wavey' at times, but not 'red-flagged' and rough like in Cancun!

CONS: Three of seven nights we stayed there, when I awoke for a bathroom run in the middle of the night, I (we) discovered small (baby) cockroaches in our bathroom. YIKES!! For some, perhaps this may no big deal, but I am beyond terrified of them and had a meltdown (or three) when discovering those little buggers! AAHHH! I was uneasy for the rest of our stay (at night)... No it was not enough to ruin our vacation, and not upsetting enough to never return to Majestic Colonial... BUT I can guarantee that if we do see ANY roaches in our room when we return to MCPC in April, I will definitely be addressing it with the Manager of the Colonial Club and requesting a room change or something being done about it.

I should also mention that Check-in and Check-out was fast and gracious, no issues there!

TIPPING: We have done many All-inclusive vacations to several locations in the Caribbean and we ALWAYS tip generously; waiters, bartenders, maids, butler, gardeners, etc, as they work VERY hard, and are humble, kind and helpful always. We felt that all the staff we interacted with deserved a handsome tip every day, we didn't mind spending this extra money, it was worth it, and we could see that it was also much appreciated.:)

Other than the baby roaches, it was an amazing trip!! A fabulous, attentive stay at lovely, quality resort. We look forward to returning for our second trip in 10 wks (countdown is on!!) We would recommend this resort without hesitating! We can't wait to return!

Lorna & Elvis FUDGE

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Lorna F

Dear lornafudge,

Congratulations on your wedding anniversary and thank you for celebrating it here at Majestic Colonial.

Thank you so much for sharing with us and future travelers your impressions about our property. It is for all of us such a joy to read that you found your time with us to be a great experience. Our commitment is to make each stay superb, and we hope you have many more outstanding vacation experiences at our Majestic properties.

We would like to extend our apologies for any inconvenience you experienced during your stay. Please be assured that we have taken note of your comments regarding the Butler and some of the food services.

We would like you to know that here at Majestic, we take every precaution possible and we would like to assure you that we regularly fumigate our resort. We recently reevaluated our fumigation strategy and fumigation program and more effective actions are being directly implemented throughout our resort.