“Bring your friends!”

Majestic Colonial Punta Cana
Ranked #6 of 28 Hotels in Bavaro
Reviewed 24 September 2015

We loved being here. I, personally, loved being with all my friends here. our personal concierge person was the best. Unfortunately, I am writing this review way after our stay from last winter. I truly wish I could remember his name...he was the best! The beaches here are like memory foam; the best I have ever walked on...and I was raised on Martha's Vineyard, been to Belize, Tonga Mexico West and East, Florida gulf, California north and south, North Carolina, etc. Diving was so-so. The weddings were fun to watch; all pretty much the same, with somewhere over the rainbow, or 3 musketeers soundtrack lol, jk...all cookie cutter.
The food is also so-so. However, if you eat at the 'reservation' restaurants, the food is pretty good. Always book a reservation for night meals, it's worth it.
Overall, a great place to have friends and meet friends.
Also, the pool games and bubble bath pool is fun.
Lots of Canadians, but OMG, you guys are fun!

Room Tip: They decorate your door for honeymoon, wedding, anniversary, birthday, whatever.
  • Stayed: April 2015, travelled as a couple
4  Thank MrLifeSafety
Majestic_Management, Community Manager at Majestic Colonial Punta Cana, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2015

Dear MrLifeSafety,

Receive a warm greeting from Majestic Colonial Punta Cana. It is a pleasure for us to read your experience about your recent stay at our hotel, to know how satisfied you felt with our services, accommodations and treatment encourage us to keep giving the best of us, since it is proof that we are achieving our main goal which is to make the best of all our guests vacations.

We will wait for your next holidays at Majestic Colonial Punta Cana and once again make the best of your vacation.
Best regards,

Majestic Management Team

Write a ReviewReviews (18,441)

Reviewed 24 September 2015 via mobile

I highly would not recommend this resort. The grounds are beautiful and clean. But mostly everything else is over sold. The food is HORRIBLE. I am actually sitting in our room right now writing this review since I've been having a stomach ache for the past 2 days. Don't trust the food on the buffet! It is not kept at a safe temperature all day. The pre cook burgers and hotdogs and have them sitting out hours before the restaurants open. The only restaurant that was edible was the hibachi restaurant. We upgraded to a Colonial Club room and don't see how we got our money's worth. We never see our butler and the Colonial Club that is supposed to be 24 hours, told us 1 day that we couldn't touch the food even though it was sitting out. The restaurants open and close at weird times. They need to invest in cooking stations where people can get fresh food. Don't assume that most Americans love buffets. My husbands a certified chef and he could look at a lot of the food and tell that it was not cooked or had been sitting out all day. Most of the French menu, wasn't even what they claimed it was. Please offer authentic food to travelers who love to experience real culture. The resort sales excursions for 3 times the price that you can pay on the beach with the private bookers. And about the rooms being hot and so humid, we discovered that the rooms have a sensor that turn your fan and AC off when you leave the room. Then click back home when the room door is activated again. This makes it horrible and uncomfortable for some people to sleep. There are so many other things that I could on and on about. At the end of the day, this resort is poorly managed, foods horrible and unsafe to eat and rooms are hot and muggy. I would go on a cruise any day before coming here again.

Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple
9  Thank bglenn0927
Reviewed 24 September 2015

Date of trip 9/8-9/16. First time in DR and must say were very impressed by the resort. There were some things, like any place, that could have used some improvement..but we had a great time. The resort itself was and the rooms were gorgeous. I enjoyed the lush, cozy feel. Abundant vegetation made it feel very pleasant. It was HOT...but I live in Vegas, so not like triple digit hot, but that humidity...whoa. Thankfully, we had no problems keeping the room cool. Compared to other places we've stayed at, the A/C worked well.

The pool was by far the cleanest I've ever seen. And given the size of it (huge) thats quite impressive. We stayed in the colonial club (well worth the upgrade, but at the time we stayed, there was some renovating going on, so like half of the rooms were not even open...so downside--we ended up waiting almost 2 hours for a room to be ready) Refrigerator was stocked daily with bottled water (use it to brush your teeth) you can always ask for more (and drink plenty of it!) as for the beer...only coors light (we never touched it) but Presidente beer was served everywhere else (very good) The club has its own adults-only pool, which was very nice, but a little boring for me. So we weren't there much. The main pool is where you want to be if you're more for the entertainment. Adult pool, if relaxing is your thing. Which we did plenty of at the....
BEACH--probably the only reason why we go on vacations at all in the first place. The room we stayed in was a literal 2 min walk to the private section of the beach which had very many thatched huts and a few cabana beds which surprisingly wasn't difficult to grab, so no worries there. 2 things I was not pleased with...dirty sand and SEAWEED. I've read countless reviews of the beach and read about the seaweed but I did not think it would be that bad. But its nature, so what can you do. We still enjoyed time in the water. Not as much as I would have liked...but wasn't that bad. I felt the sand could have been raked? a little more often...but I honestly don't know that is even a thing. But anyway...great spot for calm, crisp waters of the Atlantic. Still a magnificent view.

Food was good. I actually preferred the buffets more than the restaurants. The only one I did like was the seafood restaurant (cant think of the name) but decent food. My boyfriend loved the teppanyaki, which was good too, but food was a bit too salty for my taste. Great selection otherwise. Depending what you like. We've learned you just can't be very picky and come to an all-inclusive resort...so leave that mindset at home...or pick something more "high-end"

ALCOHOL...best part of the trip (haha jk) but like I previously noted WORTH THE UPGRADE TO CLUB. There were only a couple of bars with premium liquor, which we did not hesitate to run to if needed. We enjoy quality, anytime its available. If its not your thing, then no big deal. Incredible selection otherwise. Be sure to try the "Banana Monkey" or the "Dirty banana" you will not be disappointed.

Service was good...if you be sure to tip. Now mind you, I work in the service industry where tips are our main source of income, so I understand the struggle...but also do understand that you have to earn it. For me, I want to tip naturally...but the vibe I got from the staff (not all) was that it was very much expected so no need to provide the important things like a smile, up-beat and positive energy. But not everyone was like that, just a select few (bell-hop) (lobby bartender) I didn't care much, it just irked me at times. I tipped anyway. Eventually, they hopped on the train to pleasantville and understood that they needed to provide a service, great service, to earn the money.

The entertainment was what kept us happy. The entertainment staff could have their own TV show if they wanted. There was always a scheduled activity or show, all day, everyday. Beach party was awesome. The staff actually go around getting everyone to dance. Very awesome. They killed it every time. They were great!

Over-all, we had a great time. Its always just me and the boyfriend and we tend to have a great time no matter what. I mean ENJOY YOUR VACATION! Stay informed and relax. An opinion of one, shouldn't deter you.

Couple tips--BUG REPELLENT. I was eaten alive, just awful. If you're planning on excursions and traveling off property then you'll want to wear it. We did a snorkel trip, and thats when it happened. Plus its the rainy season, so the air is very moist there...so you know...MOSQUITOS. And sand fleas or whatever you call them...so stay out of the sand early morning after it rains.
-ask your travel quide (whoever sets up your airport transport, we had ours through expedia) for the free bus ride to the shops. They had a cigar-making tour, mamajuana tasting (its awesome), and chocolate! Gets you outta the resort for a bit and get to do some shopping.
-Use the safe for all valuables!
-Dance at the beach party!
-Tip!
-If you're upgrading to Club, romantic beach dinner is not included. If you tell your butler to set up the tub and you're with your s/o, he'll make it extra special and romantic. Ours did (Francisco) Take care of them as well.
-Enjoy your vacation! Do an excursion! Enjoy the weather!

Room Tip: 2nd floor and above are quieter.
  • Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Stacysom

Dear Stacysom,

It pleases us to read this amazing review about your experience at Majestic Colonial Punta Cana. As a service company our main goal is not only to achieve but also to exceed our guest’s expectations. We are glad to learn that you truly enjoyed you time with us and for that reason you are already looking forward to repeating.

We will be happy to share your compliments with our great team, especially with Francisco. We certainly know that our marvelous team plays a key role on the satisfaction of our guests.

We will be waiting for you at this Majestic Paradise.
Kind regards,

Reviewed 24 September 2015

Just returned from our third trip to the Majestic Colonial. As always, we had a great time. The staff is friendly and remembered us from previous years. The swim-up rooms are the absolute best. Room for improvement on the food but otherwise a wonderful resort. Shout out to Marco (Polo), Ramon (pool bar), Glenis (drinks around the pool) and Estephanie!!!!!

Room Tip: Upgrade to a swim-up room.
  • Stayed: September 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank Delighted910

Dear Delighted910,

It is truly a pleasure for us to receive your impressions on this trip, especially since you are an assiduous guest of Majestic Colonial Punta Cana. Exceeding our guest’s expectations and offer truly memorable experiences is our commitment and we are proud to learn that we have achieved our goal. We greatly appreciate your compliments towards our hotel.

Thank you for your valuable comments and we look forward to welcoming you back at this your home in paradise.
Kind Regards,

Reviewed 23 September 2015

We just returned and I LOVED this hotel so much I wanted to review it! Our room was just like the online pictures, the air conditioner worked perfect, the staff was the nicest people and always took care of us! The hotel was very clean and everything very organized.

Upon arrival we were greeted kindly by the staff and our bags tagged and offered a sweet "Majestic" drink. Then shown to the colonial club check-in where we were offered champagne, small snacks, and given paperwork. Then introduced to our butler Yefferson. He then took us on a small tour of the hotel and showed us were everything could be found. Then to the VIP area where we would make dinner reservations have private snacks, beverages, and staff. He showed us to our room and we were shocked at how clean and perfect it was!
The room came with 4 full size bottles of liquor, plus a bottle of champagne, a fully stocked fridge, and a cheese platter. Two robes and slippers, and all the information to reach our butler, room service, pillow menu, and a map of the property (which we used of the first 24 hours!)
We had a pool view room and it was beautiful! The views were just like the images online! The balcony has two chairs and a small table. We sat out there every morning for breakfast and evening with a cocktail to relax. It is nice that the pool closes at 6pm so that we didnt have interruptions in the evening, it was very quiet and lovely. The shower is HUGE! We loved the rain and massage options! The toilet was better than expected too, we had seen reviews of no privacy, but having a door was good enough for us, and no bother!
They restocked the beer, soda, water, towels, soap, and toiletries daily. The maids did a fabulous job cleaning each day!
The bars were all kept very clean also, and the bartenders were great! The swim up bar was fabulous and the bartender there would sing and entertain everyone. The towel guy Juan was our favorite, he was so kind and even helped my hubby with me when I had a little too much fun at the pool bar. Because our room overlooked the pool and bar, we could see how much care they took of the pool. They cleaned and cleaned and made sure it was kept in perfect condition all the time. The pool bali beds would fill up by noon, but as we watched there seemed to always be one open for use and they rotated a lot as people moved around.
The bar and restaurant near the beach was another favorite of ours. It was a very short walk from the beach and always had good food and great views. The waiters on the beach did a good job, they seemed to come around often enough.
The entertainment staff blew me away! They are VERY good at their job and were constantly doing fun activities, talking with people, and making sure everyone was having a good time. If you watch carefully, you will notice they all work very very hard and do many activities during your stay. I was very impressed with all of them.
We only made it to two of the night shows, but enjoyed them both. The Michael Jackson show was amazing and the circus show was a lot of fun! Like i said, the staff is VERY talented.
There were only two restaurants we had to make reservations for - the hibachi grill (very fun) and the french one. They were good, but our least favorite so we only went once to each. The buffets were always good and we could always find something we liked. The staff in all of them did a great job and very professional. They accommodate as much as they can to people with their requests and made us feel very welcome all the time. The food was good, not a 5 start dining quality, but we really enjoyed it and found some new favorite things.
The drinks were plentiful. They have enough bars around that you should never have to go without a drink. We enjoyed some drinks more than others and new fans of Mama Juana!
The shops had just enough things that we could find good souvenirs for our children to bring home. They have off property shopping that we did not get to go to, but really didnt want to spend much time shopping anyways.
We did two excursions and they were both absolutely amazing! We booked our travel all through Expedia. We didnt know at the time, but who you book through is who you go through for everything while you are there. The Blue company was our excursion and transportation people along with expedia. They are very very organized and took very good care of us from start to finish. The tour guides, the bus drivers, and everyone at the places were so nice and friendly. They really do a fabulous job! We booked our transportation from the airport and hotel when we booked the hotel so that made it easier. Then the excursions at the hotel the day after arriving.
On several nights we found small surprises in our room from our butler. It was fun to come home to different romantic things throughout the week.
You are not expected to tip all the staff, but we tried to always tip those who helped us. We took 100 one dollar bills and handed out all of them during our week.
The weather was beautiful and only had one bad stormy day.
I really like the atmosphere about the hotel and the people who were staying there. All the other guests were so fun and friendly. A LOT of newly weds and older couples. We didnt go to the family side but did see quite a few families as we came and went. It was like being surrounded by love the whole time!
I highly recommend this hotel and I hope to be able to go back again! It was the best trip we have ever taken together!

Room Tip: The pool view rooms were gorgeous, the swim up rooms had a lot of traffic near during pool hours.
  • Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Stephanie H

Dear Stephanie H.,

Thank you for choosing the Majestic Colonial Punta Cana as a preferred vacation destination. It pleases us to learn that you had a great time during your stay with us. We are glad to learn that you enjoyed our food and the outstanding service provided by our staff.

Thank you for your compliments towards the helpfulness and dedication demonstrated by Yefferson, your butler.

We will be glad to welcome you again in the near future,
Kind Regards,

Majestic Management Team

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bavaro
0.2 km away
9 km away
Melia Caribe Tropical
4.6 km away
The Reserve at Paradisus Punta Cana

Been to Majestic Colonial Punta Cana? Share your experiences!