Majestic Colonial Punta Cana
USD 449
USD 309
Savings alert! 12% below average rates

The price you found is 12% lower than this hotel's average rate of USD 350/night.

USD 293
USD 193
USD 353
USD 195
Savings alert! 13% below average rates

The price you found is 13% lower than this hotel's average rate of USD 224/night.

USD 293
Melia.com
USD 200
USD 155
Cancelon
USD 575
USD 494
19,024 results
All reviewscolonial clubrodeo grillsupreme buffetle gourmetanimation teampunta canaswim up barjapanese restaurantchateaubriandswim up roomsteakmain buffetseafoodwet barmichael jackson showpiano barbeach restaurant
Reviewed 9 January 2012

I stayed with my family - two girls aged 7 and 12, plus wife - over New Year and overall we had a great time. But we had to work to make this vacation for us, a few tips:

ROOMS: Pick your room with great care and be prepared to ask for a new room if you're not happy. The resort is long and thin, with most of the facilities (reception, restaurants, entertainment) away from the beach area. Our initial room was in the 4100 block, very close to the entertainment -- extremely noisy at night. It also had a musty smell. After one night we asked the hotel manager for a new room, which with some work (and tipping) we got. Great room (1400 block) on the 4th floor close to the beach and very quiet.

TIPPING: Remember that you're visiting a very, very poor country and respect the staff. They work hard. We tipped generously and were rewarded with great service.

FOOD: The restaurants and food were much better than I expected at an all-inclusive resort catering to 100s of guests. We mostly ate at the main dining hall and I was always happy with what they offered. The New Year banquet was amazing. We also liked the Dominican/Mexacan and the Asian restaurant too. That said, don't expect 4-star al a carte meals, but you won't be dissapointed.

ENTERTAINMENT: We had young kids and wanted a laid-back vacation. Many of the DR all-inclusives cater to a rowdy crowd that want to drink and party. I found the entertainment to be fine, but very loud at night. Be warned.

BEACH & POOL: The beach is awesome, the water warm and clear. We snorkeled right off the beach with bread rolls to feed the fish, and there were hundreds that came right up to our fingers, delighting the kids. The pool is plenty big and great. Getting a chair can be tricky.

TRIPS & SIGHTSEEING: The services at the hotel will point you to some trips that we found to be complete rip-offs (e.g. Dolphin Explorer). Do your homework beforehand and know what you want to do, and which tour operators do well on TripAdvisor.

Overall, I'd highly recommend the Colonial.

Room Tip: The entertainment near the reception area, away from the beach, can be very noisy at night. Get a room as far away as possible.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank ianrbruce
Reviewed 8 January 2012

this hotel is great. the service staff were outstanding and the resort was very clean. nice beach as well. we went for a wedding with 60 people. i must state that there is something very curious about this resort. somehow and for no definite reason, nearly 3/4 of our group went down with some sort of bug, fever, vomiting and/or the super scoots. the rooms have an open concept bathroom which is romantic until you need to turn on the taps and block out the sounds when your partner becomes a human instrument. the plane ride back was interesting as well. i would recommend the hotel facilities and staff but perhaps become anorexic with your diet and water consumption for the week. like i said, the super scoots, fire hose style.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
10  Thank el c

Trip advisor 1

Days 1-2 of our visit

Visited Majestic Colonial from 12-18-11 to 12-25-11.  Upon arrival things looked promising.  Enjoyed a drink called the Majestic upon arrival tastes like a creamsicle.  Then we had the opportunity to experience service.  On there website it was my understanding I could pay for Internet access for an additional charge.  I found out if I paid I could not get that directly from my room.  I could sit in the lobby for one hour and pay $3 or I could use there computer and pay $5 a half hour.  This was unfortunate due to needing to stay connected for work.  Contacted AT&T and it was cheaper to purchase a plan through them, needed to stay connected due to work.

Housekeeping and front desk - -We called housekeeping from the room within one hour upon arrival.  We asked for more towels, a coffee maker and more blankets. It took another 6 hours to get these items and another 3 calls.  Very frustrating.  If you need to call and ask for something write down the name of the person and the time you called so WHEN you call back again you can voice your frustration.

Maintenance and front desk -- called three times to get someone to come and fix our toilet stall door that would not close.  Called upon arrival till the end of the week about the toilet noise as it ran 24 hours a day and it was never fixed.

Mattresses hard, uncomfortable and dirty under the sheets.  Pillows flat and old which made them really soft and not comfortable.

Massage - excellent service and an enjoyable experience.

Japanese restaurant - the best choice for eating.  Very enjoyable show our chef was Leo.  Other restaurants sub par.  Food quality fair.  Buffets are not monitored so people taste test at the stations and no one says anything.

Shows mediocre.  Waited during a karaoke show for about 20 Minutes for a bottled water.  Ended up getting it myself as she never returned.

We were in Mexico at Excellence Playa Mujeres over Thanksgiving and there is NO comparison.  It like Excellence is an actual 5 star and I would rate this a 1.5 star.  At Excellence service in all areas was immediate and courteous.  The beds were similar to those in a fine hotel with quality sheets, blankets and pillows.

From day one here I was looking forward to leaving and returning to the comforts of home.  That is an unfortunate way to spend a $2000 vacation.

Days 3-4 of our visit
Toilet still running called again because it kept us both up.  Music from courtyard blaring till late hours.

Visited the casino as they call it, there were about 25 machines and some table games.  Some people were hitting on the 5 cent machines.  Not much other action.  More like a small arcade.

Pool very cold not heated and same thing w jacuzzis.  Pool chairs get down early or they are all reserved.  Sat there for 6 hours one day and some were never used.  People just reserved them in case they decided to use them.   Most of the chairs were broken and no one appeared to care about fixing them.

Days 5-7
Shows the only one that was worth watching was the Dominican show

We did another spa visit for a massage and a few more days of trying to find a pool chair.  Toilet still running at full force five calls and NO maintenance ever arrived. We still have not received our complimentary bottle of rum.

Christmas Eve they informed us we needed reservations to eat everywhere including the buffet. We made a reservation for 630 to eat at the Japenese and when we got there it was closed. We went to the French restaurant to explain our situation and the hostess informed us that they made a mistake and booked us for a restaurant that was closed. She said the first seating at any restaurant was 845. We asked her to help find us a place to eat at now she spoke to her manager and he offered us a table there.

Last day we went to the lobby and waited for our private transfers to the airport and it never arrived. We had gone to the representative day two to schedule his name was Cesar. He assured us everything was taken care of. I went back to him today to inform him the transfer did not arrive yet. He assured me they were on the way, I asked him to call and make sure. He got off the phone and informed me they did not send someone but we're sending them now and they would be here in 15 minutes. Twenty minutes later I asked him to call and find out exactly where they were, I then asked the hotel bellboy how far away they were and he informed me they were a half hour away. I asked for Cesar to call us a cab and that they cover the cost. He begged me not to because he would have to pay for it. He asked me to wait and they would be here soon. I had the bellboy call the cab and had Cesar tell the cab driver all expenses would be paid by them.

Bad finish to a subpar all inclusive.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
16  Thank Txforyou
Reviewed 8 January 2012

Nous sommes allé au Majestic Colonial du 25 décembre 2011 au 3 janvier 2012. c'étais notre 5 ième voyage à cet hôtel....toujours aussi agréable que les quatre précédents. Le party du nouvel an avec ses feux d'artifices était fantastique. Petite déception par contre pour la nourriture du buffet, il fallait surveiller les cuissons car certains aliments comme le poisson, les crêpes, le poulet étaient parfois pas assez cuit mais le buffet du nouvel an était super beau et super bon.

Nous retournerons au Majestic Colonial car c'est un excellent hôtel.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Marc F
Reviewed 8 January 2012

My wife, two children (19,16), and I stayed from December 29-January 4. Most of the recent reviews are spot on. I write to provide additional thoughts on this resort. Our check-in went well. There was a short wait, maybe 15 minutes until the room was ready. But they hand you a nice welcome drink while you wait. Our room overlooked the parking lot in the adjacent resort. I asked for a better room, but they said they were about 98% capacity. The room was very spacious. There were a few minor problems with our room such as the remote control on the tv was broken, and there were several electrical outlets that did not work. I never complained about that. We just made do with what we had. The reviewers are correct that the bathroom area lacked privacy, but that really only applied if you wanted to use the jacuzzi, which was open between the sink area and the rest of the room. We did not stay in our room long enough to use the jacuzzi. There really was no private area to change clothes. We used the toilet room, which was about the size of a phone booth. The shower was separate. Unlike some other reviewers, we thought the shower was one of the best parts of the room. It was spacious and the water pressure and temperature were perfect. The beds and pillows were the biggest disappointment for such a fine resort. Both were soft, skimpy, and uncomfortable. Also, they don't double check on the kids' ages at check in. I was honest and said my daughter was 16 so she got a different color bracelet than the rest of us, which meant she could not get alcohol or enter the disco. I am sure other more experienced travelers lie about their kids' ages. The alcohol was not a problem because if we wanted to, we could have just given our drinks to her. But they were checking bracelets at the disco and because she could not get in, we decided not to go there altogether. That was disappointing. We did not stay at the pool for a couple of reasons. First, we could never seem to get four chairs. Experienced travelers seemed to send out someone early to put anything, book, towel, shoes, on chairs to save them. I know that is common at resorts, but a bit unfair. Some resorts do have monitors take those items off if not occupied within say an hour. But that was okay because we are beach people and really wanted to use the week to chill on the beach. There was never a problem getting chairs at the beach, even during this busiest time of the season. The palapas/huts were great if we wanted to sit in shade and we never had a problem finding one. We walked on the beach about 30 minutes in each direction and saw a few of the neighboring resorts and I have to state that our beach area was by far the best one. The food overall was above average. We are a family of picky eaters so we tended to stick with a few of the basic items during the course of the week. We ate mostly at the buffets, but we ate once at the asian, once at the steak house, and twice at the mexican/carribean restaurant. We liked the fajitas at the mexican/carribean restaurant the best. Some said the sirloin at the steak house was awful, but my son and I liked ours. We also tended to go for the food that was cooked in front of us, rather than sitting out in the heat, especially the items that needed to be kept very cold. That may the reason that some of the reviewers suffered GI issues. We did not have a problem until about the last day. I suspect it might have had something to do with the filtration system. We drank bottled water, excepted the water served at the restaurants. I noticed that the last few days there, the water tasted differently. My wife hated the house wine, but my son and I could not get enough of the mamajuanas and Presidente cerveza! The service was overall very good. Some servers/employees were much more friendlier than others, and it does depend on your willingness to tip. I also noticed that the service overall was more friendly after New Year's when the place sort of calmed down as people left. Other than the beach, I think for us, the best part of the trip was the Animation Team and nightly entertainment. We looked forward to the entertainment each night. The Michael Jackson show was good. Unfortunately, it was on the big outdoor stage on New Year's Eve and it got somewhat overcome by lots and lots of people hanging out, drinking, waiting for midnight. it would have been nice to see that show in the regular theatre area. Karaoke Night was heading to be great, except for the downpour which forced the Team to move the outdoor activity inside to the theatre. That caused a lot of people to give up on that activity. It had the potential to be awesome. The Team really worked hard to entertain us. The fireworks on New Years Eve were unbelievably good. The Sports Bar was a bit disappointing. It was more of a teen hangout than what we are used to in the States as a good sports bar. The casino was very small. It tended to get very crowded, especially right before New Years, but after New Years, it was really empty. We only did one off-site activity - horseback riding near Macao Beach. I highly recommend it, especially for beginners, as the horses are on automatic pilot. Experienced riders might be disappointed in the ride, but the scenery more than makes up for that. We lucked out on the weather. Each day was better than the previous one. It rained once at night during Karaoke, and then rained most of the day of our departure. The fellow at the front desk had the best line when I checked out, "Senor, the heavens are crying because you are leaving." I highly recommend the Majestic Colonial. We probably won't come back to the D.R. any time soon as there are other places we would like to visit on vacation, but if we do, we would make the Majestic our first choice.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family