2,404 results
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 15 November 2006

I went to this resort in November 2006 from the 3rd-7th. And let me say it was one of the worst experiences of my life. The website makes the resort look beautiful and clean however upon arrivel you quickly start to realize that this is a resort that has NOT been taken care of since the 90's. It is dirty and the food...don't even get me started. The food is disgusting to put it nicely. I can actually say my boyfriend and I lost weight on our trip because the food was so bad. They also let the locals in on the weekend and when this happens they compleyelt cater to them. As a guest at the resort i was ignored for the weekend...it was the only time while we stayed that the bar resturaunt had more than fries and burgers.
We had a problem on our last full day there, we woke up to hammering on the tile floor directly below us and went to the beach figuring it would be over by lunch. However when we returned to our room after lunch we found the hammer to be replaced by a jackhammer and our electricity had gone out. After being lied to by the front desk about what time the construction and when the electricity would come back we went down to get a complain and get a new room. We went down to the front desk at 5 pm and at first they told us the only room was in the back on the resort and we wanted none of that since we had an ocean front room. The get frustrated with us and sent us to guests services where we were shown three different rooms. We had learned out leason and we made sure to check working lights, hot water, and a working air conditioning machine. when the rooms we were shown had none of these they finally upgraded us to a suite, at this point it was 6:30. Well, the suite was hot (located above kitchen) and sooo dirty, the walls in the bathroom were not finished and there were dried flowers from the last time the room had been cleaned. And even the flowers were dusty. We also found out upon arrival Hilton had dropped its name from the resort...now i know why! What ever you do, don't go to this resort. It was a nightmare and I can honestly say it was the first vacation i was excited to get home from!!!

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled as a couple
20  Thank backhome83
Reviewed 14 November 2006

Stayed @ Costa Caribe Nov.4-11 as part of time share exchange with all inclusive. Found out upon arrival this property is no longer owned by Hilton-now owned by ? Biggest bank in Dominican which now owns 4 resorts.NO PROBLEM-AWESOME facility & many people to help any way possible.Very clean place-YES Bathrooms could use updates-but clean & operating flawless for week.We had 6 people with us & 3 rooms-all GREAT & Maids excellent & accomodating.Speaking spanish would be great help-I know none-but was able to meet & talk to everyone.Bars always well stocked & ready to serve.Pools & beach & hot tubs clean.Beach vendors are there & as stated in previous posts-will leave you alone if told-If buying-barter for best deal-always negotiable!!!!! As is every trip & watersports offered by resort.Chocalate Friends AWESOME & FUN @ all times-amazing job with everything they do.We rented Van from airport-driving is defensive & not recommended @ night-many vehicle with no head/taillights.Many interesting sights in Santo Domingo.Would go back here again if possible!!!!!!!

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled with friends
5  Thank bukkakiblaster
Reviewed 9 October 2006

my girlfriend and I booked the holiday despite some of the dodgy reviews. I then started to worry if I'd done the right thing - I needn't have - it was brilliant. We stayed for the last 2 weeks in september, weather fantastic, food was excellent, facilities were top notch, organised trips were very interesting - see how the other half live. During the week the hotel was quiet - most days we had a pool to ourselves. On the weekend the hotel filled up and the atmosphere was much more lively, so we had the best of both worlds. Staff were friendly and spoke brilliant english.
I had never been on an all-inclusive holiday before and was worried in case there wouldn't be enough to do but there were lots of different activities to try.
You didn't need to book tables for dinner which was differerent to what it said in the brochure and this made life much easier.

It's a place to go if you want to unwind by the sea and go on a couple of trips, I wouldn't recommend it if you want a spanish type holiday where you can wander rounds streets of bars and shops (there aren't any).
If sightseeing's your thing bring extra money for trips which can be organised from the internet cafe down the road (works out about $15 cheaper than through the courriers). There is a bar and a couple of gift shops up the road if you fancy a change of scene though.
I wouldn't recommend hiring cars or bikes as roads are poor and there's no speed limit or lane discipline.
Some people have complained about the 3hr transfer but it's a brilliant opportunity to see a bit of the wild countryside and rivers (they filmed bits of king kong here). We paid about £625 each including all taxes, transfers etc. which I thought was brilliant.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled as a couple
15  Thank Pioneer802846
Reviewed 3 October 2006

Hi Everyone

This review is going to be an accurate account of the entire hotel and locality, will be long but worth a read.

Firstly, the price, four friends went to this hotel for a 2 week all inclusive holiday. The total cost was £699 per person, all travel included. A bargain in anyone's book.

Try and learn the basics in spanish. It is well worth it, if only as a converstion starter but they really respect that you have put the effort it, after all it is their country.

On reading reviews on the website I was very concerned and even considered cancelling, I'm glad I didn't!

Flight:
Ok so the 9 hour flight in cattle class was one, if not the, worst experiences I have had of flying. I would advise never to travel with MyTravel. There is only so much smiling the air stewardess' can do to make up for the very very cramped conditions.

Transfer:
We landed at Punta Cana airport, which is at least a 3 hour drive to the hotel. The coach was air conditioned and you got to see the "real" Dominican Republic but by the end of the journey you needed a drink, shower and sleep.

Hotel 1st Impressions:
You arrive to a pinkish coloured large building. The porters are more than happy to carry your luggage for you, at a price of course! $2 per bag. The hotel lobby was large, if not slightly under lit. We arrived at around 17:00 and there was no queue. Check in took around 5 mins max. Take the opportunity for a room safe, expensive $30 for two weeks, worth it.

Staff:
Friendly and efficient. Always finished a conversation with "happy to serve you". Have a laugh and joke with the maids, they are funny ladies.

Rooms: Standard room
Our rooms were for two people. We were in block S, relatively close to everything. The rooms contained two double beds, had air-con, balcony and fridge. For the money they were more than reasonable. The mini bar is re-filled every day with 2 bottles of soft drink and two beers, all included in all inclusive option. The bathroom was ok. Some evenings the water pressure would drop slightly and occasionally the temperature wouldn't stay constant. This happened three times during our two week stay.

Pools: 3 in total
The main one is by the pool bar, don't confuse this with a swim up bar (I did). Generally fine, pool is cleaned at night. As the pool has palm trees over head you will, on the odd day, have "bits" in the pool. But overall a good standard. The jacuzzi backs onto this pool.

Beach:
Apparently all man made. White sand leading down to the sea. The beach was constantly swept by one man 3 or 4 times a day. The sea is divided into a swim area and water sport area. The sea is even cleaned of sea weed so there is sand under your feet. Yes there are locals on the beach trying to sell local goods. If you do not want anything, smile politely and say no. But between the three of us we probably spent $40 on bits and pieces, they were our friends for the rest of the holiday, they didn't bother us as we'd already bought from them, they just smiled and went on their way.

Restaurants:
Buffet: Lots of choice, even for picky eaters, generally an average standard.
Italian: Our favourite, some choices on the menu are real gems.
Sanata Fe, Mexican: Some tasty meals in here.
Local Speciality: Try it, it's interesting.
Mangos: Open 24hrs. Just a snack bar with chips, burgers, salads etc.
All in all, an ok selection. If you have rum and coke, ask for 151 rum!

Casino:
Take part in the slot machine challenge, Tuesdays. Get to know the manager and your well away.

Disco/night club:
Part of the 24hr Sports bar. Good selection of music until 3am. Bar is open all the time, very handy!

Chocolate Friends:
The entertainers. Very amusing individuals. They start around 3pm everyday organising sports comps and games throughout the day then perform a half decent show in the evening. One of our group couldn't get enough of the beach volleyball!

Excursions:
Went on two. The first the monster truck the second the Saona Island Tour. I was more impressed with the monster truck. The water falls were spectacular! We had a great day with some other very funny English people (Rob and Emily) a couple from New York, 2 from Canda and one from Florida. A fantastic day out, try and get Erica as your tour guide, legend!

Internet:
Do not use the hotels. It is expensive and there are many viruses on the computers. Walk out of the hotel, turn right and walk for 2-3 mins until you come to a square of shops on your left. Much cheaper and faster connection.

Sum Up:
All in all a very good holiday. You get what you pay for and in this instance we got a lot more than what we paid. It is worth tipping here and there, they do not expect it so are very very pleased when thier work is rewarded, only needs to be a couple of dollars but you will benefit in the long run.

Any more quetions I would be happy to answer them for you, really do not read to much into other reviews.
jamesgolding2@aol.com

Have a good trip

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled with friends
18  Thank Footprints802768
Reviewed 2 October 2006

Cons

Low water pressure and no hot water (solved after complaining)

Clueless concierge: We were in the middle of Hurricane Ernesto, yet the concierge was distributing weather forecasts that were 3 days old

Maintenance issues: No remote for TV, room lamps were flakey, building was a in state of disrepair

Having Hilton in the name is misleading

Overcrowded and overrun by locals during the weekend

Terrible Italian restaurant

Pros

Waiters, bartenders, (even) cooks, and water sports folks were all very pleasant and eager to please

Decent buffet, Tex-Mex, and Dominican restaurants

The party went on, Hurricane Ernesto or no Hurricane Ernesto

Good choice of water sports

Shopping, internet and tour arrangement possibilities conveniently located 50 hours from the hotel

Stayed: August 2006