2,383 results
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 14 August 2009

My girlfriend and I went to the DR for a week and a half, backpacking to Cabarete, Samana, Las Galeres and then figured after ruffing it for a little over a week we would treat ourselves to a nice resort for the last two nights. Wrong. This place was horrible. Between the two of us we have traveled all through the USA, Europe, Guatemala, Belize, Costa Rica and Ecuador and although the rooms were not very nice the rude people, the food and the drinks were the worst we have ever encountered. Throughout the DR everybody was very friendly and the staff here was very nice but the people that were staying here were some of the rudest people I have ever met.

The beach area and pool may look nice but they pool is way to small for the resort and is filled with filthy foam and garbage and the beach although very beautiful is crawling with guys trying to sell you garbage. Every 5 minutes I had some vender trying to sell me some cheap jewelry, painting or burned dvd's. Maybe it was because we were there during a weekend but the pool was so slammed that you couldn't even enjoy it. The one pool that is not on the beach is very nice it is not crowded and is actually clean but there is not a bar to get drinks you can't even get water. They also close all the pools at 6:30 everyday to put chemicals in the pool. Which does nothing becasue the water was yellow and foamy with filth and the people just leave thier garbage all over the pool deck and in the pool.

As for the food, forget it your better off not eating it. Only the buffet is open for breakfast and lunch which doesn't give you much of an option and the resturants are not any better.
The Presidente Beer is served barley chilled and I am a recent college grad and could barely stomach the liquor they were serving. Also none of the bartenders seem to make the same drink or even know what they are making. I would order one drink such as a Cuba Libre (rum and Coke) and get some orange colored vodka drink.

Overall do not stay here at this dump of a resort. The handful of other people that I spoke to will staying here agreed, I feel bad for anybody that has to stay here for more than 1 night.. Pay a little more and get something nice and don't let the fact that its owned by the HIlton fool you. I would rather stay at the hostels with no AC and a mosquito net than have to stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank cdl04d
Reviewed 2 August 2009

I was told by the Cheap Caribbean rep, that this resort was remodeled and was like a brand new resort. Oh boy! what a surprise my family and I got. To begin, the reception got us waiting for over an hour and half for a room after the check in time of 3 pm. When they send us to the room, the room was not ready. The room had bad odor and abandoned and old. It was the most disgusting room that I have ever seem is my life. The bed had all types insects on it and the sheets had blood stain on it. The bathroom did not flush. They gave us another room, and another, and another. We were so disappointed by selecting Costa Caribe , therefore I reached out to Cheap Caribbean a complain about the resort conditions.I tell you the pictures on their website look good, but these pictures are deceiving and are a complete lie. I asked Cheap Caribbean, if there was a better resort near by, they said that all were booked. We had no choice than to stay at Costa Caribe. However, we only lasted two days and got the hell out of there fast as we could.The breakfast, lunch, dinner, pool, shows, and beach were disgusting. I will not recommend this place not even to my worst enemy. Like other travelers said, they got what they paid for. Staying in a cheap resort can be expensive and can make vacation a living hell!.

They should change the Coral Costa Caribe Resort name to the the "Dump Resort of Juan Dolio. Believe me what I am telling you.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank COSMOS8
Reviewed 29 July 2009

We wanted to enjoy ourselves while having the kids entertained! our children had something to do all the time, so we had what we expected. Staff was polite and available to us all the time. We liked it!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank MassachusettsYupee
Reviewed 29 July 2009

Our Vacation at Coral Costa Caribe, the best vacation ever, the people are very nice the service is excellent we had the best threat, the food is very good and they offer different plates every day.

The rooms are very cozy, and iluminated. What we like best was the service, the beach and the food.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank Karina78
Reviewed 26 June 2009

We stayed at the Costa Caribe with another couple and a friend for 5 days in June 2009. This was our second trip to the DR, but our first to Juan Dolio. This resort was inferior in every way to the resort we stayed at in La Romana. We arrived on Friday at around 3 to a lobby completely packed with people waiting in line. We were directed to a separate desk for check-in, so I assume that the lines contained the local day-trippers, but more on that later. We had three rooms booked and asked to be put together but were told that we had to take the rooms that we had already been assigned. We were put in block A on three different floors. Our room was on the second floor overlooking the beach, pool, and stage. The room was adequate in appearance and cleanliness, but the mattress was very hard and the sheets would NOT stay on the bed during the night. Plus, once the sheets were off the possible blood stains were evident. We had two balconies, but the door to one didn’t seal, so the (loud) A/C had to run constantly. The location of the room had to have been the worst in the place due to the noise. In retrospect we should have changed rooms. After settling in, we went to the snack bar for a late lunch. It was packed with day trippers! We waited in line for an hour just to get a slice of pizza, and then there was no place to sit. Unacceptable! Luckily, this was the only time we had that problem.
The room (and the resort in general) had to have been the noisiest place I have ever stayed! There is music blaring from speakers by the pool and beach from 10am until The Show at 8. The speakers might as well have been inside our room! And then at 8 it gets really loud! Heaven forbid you want any kind of peace and quiet after dinner since The Show runs from 8-11pm, and it is REALLY LOUD! While in our room I had to wear earplugs just to dim the noise. There is no way to escape The Show, since there is nothing else going on during that time on the property. The pools close at 6pm and the disco doesn’t open until 11pm. We felt forced to endure The Show, which was pretty dreadful (but no worse than most resort shows, I admit) and repetitive from night to night. The Show just about ruined the trip, sadly enough. Luckily, there were other aspects that somewhat made up for The Show.
The staff was mostly quite nice and eager to please. Caesar at the Garden Bar had to be the hardest working man on the resort, but was always so friendly and truly seemed to enjoy his work. Thanks to his “uno mas” policy and heavy duty drinks, my liver may never be the same. Juan Carlo at the Ambar buffet also went above and beyond. We had quite good service in the Fogon Dominican restaurant for three meals. Avoid the Mexican place. We had to wait forever for service, and the food was only okay. We found the best dinners at the Dominican place. The breakfast and dinners at Ambar were also good. The Italian place was only open one night while we were there, but we had already made plans so never tried it.
The pools were smaller than they appear on the website and are only open from 9-6. The main pool with the swim-up bar was being renovated, and only opened on our second to last day. It was crowded with unruly children. All in all, it didn’t matter since the beach was quite nice. The water was calm and clear, the sand was clean, and there were plenty of sun chairs in sun and shade. Our best day was spent lounging on the beach.
We did leave the resort for a tour of Santo Domingo which was nice and not too far away. We also took the Jeep Safari tour. The time off of the Jeep was interesting, but there was so much dust on the open air Jeep that I had to keep my eyes closed to keep the dust out. Not fun.
In all, I think we got what we paid for, since we booked the Cheap Caribbean special. If you are considering staying here, I would suggest that you go elsewhere. If you do stay here since it’s so cheap, insist on a room away from the beach and main areas, and keep your standards low.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends