2,382 results
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 4 May 2004

I have just returned from Costa Caribe Coral and as a gay woman I have to say that I was somewhat disappointed. The chocolate friends are all but homophobic and do not encorage diverse behaviour, such as same-sex dancing etc.. the food was all right, and the rooms ok albeit with noisy air-conditioning.

I would not go back because I felt lonely and left out. The beaches are just average and the hotel shops expensive.

What makes up for most of the defficiencies is the choice of drinks from the bars and the disco, which plays decent music.

2  Thank Sherpa24886
Reviewed 2 May 2004

We visited the Coral Costa Caribe in July 2002 and enjoyed the 1st week. During the 2nd week the quality of the food went down and the queues for the buffets in the restuarants were long and very little seafood was on offer. The communal toilets in the public areas smelt all day long.

Worst of all was the pushy salesman that sold us a holiday vacation package at the resort. We were relatively happy with the deal and were looking forward to spending some nice holidays worldwide. However, in late 2002 I noted that the card we had used to pay for the balance of the package had been cloned and used to withdraw money from my current bank accounts in the UK. We cancelled the card and contacted the Costa Caribe Vacation Team who didn't seem to care. They have since cancelled our contract (with no discussion with ourselves) and have made no effort to investigate our concerns. So, we have lost over US$2,000 / £1200 and the management of the company do not seem to want to realise that someone in their company is cloning cards. NEVER BUY A HOLIDAY VACATION PACKAGE FROM COSTA CARIBE RESORTS OR THE HILTON GROUP because it may come with a sting in the tail.

Otherwise a nice resort with nice staff and lovely grounds but very loud and repetitive music being played on the beach all day long. A nice island but it could be spoilt unless the development is kept under control.

2  Thank Relax14924
Reviewed 2 May 2004

Since I benefited from the reviews, I would like provide others with my feedback.

I suprised my wife by taking her to the Dominican Republic to celebrate our 5th anniversary April 21st-25th. Not only was she suprised, we had a fantastic time. Everything about our stay at the Costa Carbide Coral Hilton from the people, food, room, and of course the Chocolate Friends was great.

Like many of you who are reading reviews, I was very apprehensive about the good comments that ended with a few questions that would leave you with a unsettled feeling about the resort. Unless we were lucky when we visited ( I don't think we were) the food was always hot, service was great, drinks were good, the room was nice, air conditioning was , shower better than warm, and the peddlers were not overly agreesive and were very polite once you said no thank you.

For my fellow golfers, the Guavenberry Golf course was a great track. I wanted to play Metro that was across the street, but they had a closed tournement in the am the 2 of the 3 days I played.

In closing, I strongly recommend going to the Dominican Republic and the Costa Caribe Coral Hilton. In fact, my wife and I plan to go back and take our children. And if you wondering we are in our mid 40's.

6  Thank FarAway37199
Reviewed 1 May 2004

We just came back from one week at the Costa Caribe Hilton in Juan Dolio. After reading the reviews we were somewhat nervous but decided to take a chance. We had a wonderful time and we loved the Dominican people. The atmosphere at the hotel was secluded and private. The hotel is kept spotless and we were amazed at how hard the staff worked to keep things clean. They were always friendly and smiling. We enjoyed the food as well both at the buffet and at the specialty resteraunts. We had been to ST. Lucia and felt the food there was not as good.
We loved the fact that there were three different pools, one very quiet. There was lots of room to spread out and enjoy the gorgeous scenery. Yes the beach was somewhat rocky but the color of the water was gorgeous and the water warm. We also took the day trip to Catalina Island which was outstanding!! We visited with a friend from the states who has family in Boca Chica. The beach there was stunning but very busy, commercial and showed some of the more depressing aspects of the economic situation in the country. Due to a delay of our return flight we got a chance to see another resort in LaRomana that we had almost booked instead of the Costa Caribe. We thought this other resort was sterile and. unlike the Costa, did not really capture the real Domincan spirit. We loved the Chocolate Friends especially the Master of Ceremonies. He is so talented and kept us laughing every night. I really feel that some travelors have unrealistic expectations mainly Americans!!! I don't know what people expect but this is a third world country - very poor. For the money we paid we had a terrific time. I came away with a lot of gratitude for what we have and with some warm memories of the people I met and the culture of this beautiful country.

5  Thank Guide19209
Reviewed 13 April 2004

I just returned from Costa Caribe Coral in Juan Dolio. (April 4th-11th 2004) I have to stay it was absolutely unbelievable. The rooms, pools, restaurants, beach, disco etc. were beautiful. The treatment was great, if I ever needed help or anything at all, someone was there to assist me right away. The Chocolate Friends completed my trip by far. They are an amazing bunch of young people, who are well-rounded and extremely talented. They keep you entertained 23 hours of the day! I miss them the most out of everyone. Their theme song/dance was great! People of all ages are treated well here, and I would recommend this resort to all.

4  Thank Stay37213