Coral Costa Caribe All Inclusive, Juan Dolio
D' Franchecis Hostal(Juan Dolio)(Great Value!)
USD 71
Sybaris Suites & Residences(Juan Dolio)(Great Value!)
USD 163
USD 150
Hodelpa Garden Suites(Juan Dolio)(Great Value!)
USD 118
USD 96
USD 165
USD 106
  • Breakfast included
Caribe Paraiso(Juan Dolio)
USD 60
  • Beachfront
Emotions by Hodelpa(Juan Dolio)(Great Value!)
USD 202
Cancelon
USD 416
USD 384
Hotels.com
Casa del Lago(Juan Dolio)
TripAdvisor
2,323 results
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 21 February 2012

After reading all the negative review about the resort i wasn't to impressed with what i read, until i read a bad review on a resort in Jamaica where i stayed last year. The review for the resort i went to in Jamaica had bad review but i personally loved it soo much. So that being said i said i will make my own decision about the place. So went there with a positive attitude
I first saw the picture looked very decent. And most of the complaint was about the room. I didn't care much considering you aren't going to the resort to stay in the room. Second complaint was about the locals and vendors. I did find it very annoying that when I'm trying relax on the beach every 5 minute a vendors are coming up trying sell you something. after awhile you learn to deal with it your grab a book and ignore them or fake sleep.
We went feb 8-15, we arrived at 2:30 and the said our room wasn't ready yet. Understandable since the check in was at 3. Go back around 3:15 they said our room wasn't ready yet and to come back in half an hour by 3:45 1 out of the 4 room was ready so at this point i'm a little annoyed but try not to let it get to me. So we change in my friends room and head to the beach. I go back around 5 and my room is finally ready. Me and my husband go settle down in the room. Open the door some musky smell but didnt bother me much. Two double bed when i asked for a king whatever no biggy. I go and shower no hot water,ok already expected that i can deal with it. Go and turn on the showerhead my facet came completely off. Great cant finish my shower cuz my hair is too long and is touching the floor. I did the best that I can to wash up. Call down to guest service no one picks up. I walked down to speak to them. They barely understood me cuz they didnt speak much english. After 10 minute of them explaining to them they said that they will send someone to fix it. No one came. I had to wake up the next day at 6am just to get them to talk to me. I at first i wanted to talk to the supervisor who seems to NEVER be around. So they told me someone was coming to fix it an hour goes by i'm annoyed at this point the face that i been there for less than 24 hours and everything is going soo bad. So I stormed downstairs and you can see in my face i am pissed! So i demand that they send someone to my room and I will wait in front of guest service til i see the maintenance guy he shows up right away. So i finally got my shower fix with hot water. I can shower I'm Happy. Little red aunts everywhere but didnt bother me
Lets talk about the food. I don't know what it is but i found everything salty. First night at the resort and the buffet was gross last night there it was good so its a hit and missed. The snack bar is pretty good. The Mexican restaurant is fairly yummy we ate there 3 times out of the 7 days. Italian wasn't bad also. The Dominican restaurant was by far the worst. Service was horrible the food was soo salty cept the fried fish that my husband got. I found it soo salty that I couldn't even eat my meal (beef steak) but i did eat the veggies that came with it. The server comes and takes my plate away even after i said wasnt done yet he looks at me and takes it away.Also the fruit was NASTY not even sweet at all stuff we get back home is beter.You would think that it be a tourist spot that people would speak english NOPE.
The resort was nice site claimed it was a 4* but was a 2*. I tried to enjoy it as much as I can. Most bartenders were friendly. Found that no one makes the drink the same. the beach is amazing stayed on it most of the time. Power went out for like 5 second every two hours cuz of the rain. My ac leaked. Went shopping outside resort and it just dirty soo gross garbage everywhere. But we did find cheaper thing in the market that they were selling for triple the price on the beach.
Question doesn't most people to come on vacation to relax and have fun? I found most of the tourist people very rude. Didn't like that very much. One couple demanded my husband to move to another seat that had no umbrella because they wanted to sit under the umbrella when it was raining. Not the resort fault for that just a warning to people to watch out for the rude people. I said it before and i say it again only a handful speaks english.
Went on the catamaran which was fun and opt to get the video since my camera died worst video ever. It was soo choppy. So after being on the catamaran for 1 hour and 30 minute we get to this island very nice but full of wasp not enjoyable. After being there for what felt like 2 hours we got on a speed boat to go to a natural pool where we can see starfish. Water is amazing but we only stayed there for like 20 minute. Took a speed boat back which only took like 20 minute to get back. Overall this excursion was not worth 74 bucks considering you took a cool boat to another beach but thats my own opinion.
Overall the resort isnt as bad as the review said it was but theres soo much better out there.This resort more for those who doesnt care where they go as long as theres a nice beach and 24 hour alcohol. Local do come in on the weekend vendors do annoy you. But what i really liked about the resort is the beach. Will i come back Definitely NO!! i'm still debating on if I scratching out this resort or dominican all together just cuz of this one bad experience

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank cheekz b
Reviewed 21 February 2012

After reading all the horrible reviews we were definitely wondering what we had gotten into. We are a party of 4 and here are the pros and cons in my opinion:

Cons:
1. After being up for 24 hours plus with driving to the airport and waiting there and finally the flight we were very tired and ready to check into our room only to be told that they never got our reservation and the hotel was full. Everyone was very helpful though and said it never happens with Cheap Caribbean (but darn it, it did happen to us!) After about an hour of talking to the manager and Cheap Caribbean they did put us up in a room in the older section of the hotel that was not used much, not the recently renovated section.
2. The rooms do have issues. We talked to 3 or 4 other people in the newer section and they complained of toilets not working all the time, no water pressure all the time, mold, bugs, etc. Our room was very dated but everything in our room worked. The floor was dirty (our feet got black) but after asking to have it mopped, they did. We are campers and can deal with things like this and were hardly ever in our rooms anyway. There are very nice bathrooms and showers down by the pool you can use if you run into problems.

Pros:
1. The public areas, restaurants, bars, pools, and beach are wonderful. We enjoyed them all and found the food to be great. If you can't find something to eat between Italian, Dominican, Tex Mex, and the buffet line (which had vegetables, fruits, meats, cheeses, pasta, and ethnic dishes) you must be a very picky eater and I can't imagine you being satisfied anywhere. When you cook for the masses it's hard to maintain a degree of quality but I think they did a great job!
2. Drinks: They had a menu with the usual drinks they would make but would do others on request. They were very flavorful if not the strongest but we weren't trying to get blitzed every day, just enjoy the drinks. Ask for a Cuba Libre strong if you want a bigger buzz.
3. The people: Wonderful! Everyone seemed to have a smile and would go out of their way for you. If you greet someone first before giving your order it makes a world of difference. The serving staff are real people with feelings and it made me cringe when someone would treat them just as hired help or be rude.

This hotel seemed to cater to Canadians and Germans mostly and I found it very nice not to hear complaining Americans all the time (sorry, I'm from Michigan and yes, it was Americans who complained the most). This is a Dominican type of hotel and if you want fancy you should stay in Punta Cana or Miami Beach. Seriously. You get what you pay for. We got an exceptional deal for 10 days all inclusive out of Chicago and I don't have the right to complain about anything.

For those who complained about bugs, they are out there in the world and it's hard to keep them out. I've had cockroaches in good hotels in Florida.

The vendors on the beach would leave if you told them politely No Gracias, and we did enjoy conversations with them. There weren't nearly as many vendors as I was led to believe from the reviews.

In conclusion, this hotel is for people who can deal with minor inconveniences without complaining about every little thing in exchange for a glorious beach, beautiful grounds, plenty of food and drink at a great price. I think we got far more than what we paid for.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank yooperislandgirl
Reviewed 18 February 2012

I travelled to Coral Costa Caribe from February 7-14th.
After reading the reviews of the resort on Trip Advisor, I was left wondering what I had gotten myself into. I figured there are always those people who complain about anything and everything, so tried to remain positive until I got there and saw things for myself.

Upon arrival, the resort looked great. My sister, her boyfriend and I travelled together and arrived around 2:30 pm. My room was ready at that point, but my sister was told to come back to reception at 4:30, as her room wasn't ready yet (despite check in being at 3:00).

The room that my sister and her boyfriend were given was pretty bad (putting it lightly). There was a musty smell as soon as we opened the door, so bad, you could hardly breathe. On top of that, the TV and phone didn't work and the AC barely blew cool air (the room was a steady 80F the entire trip) and was extremely loud... the only good thing about the room was that they had hot water (when they had water at all). Be warned, the resort shuts off water to the rooms during the day, on no particular schedule.

The room I was given was alright upon first glance, although very outdated. The bathroom had tons of little bugs that resembled small ants. Luckily I found the hole they were using the first day and plugged it, so I only saw a few here and there the rest of my stay. The worst part of the room - no hot water!

The three of us went to the front desk once we discovered the issues with the rooms, and were told they had no other rooms available. The clerk at the front desk suggested to my sister that they open the window to get rid of the smell, despite signs saying to leave them closed because of birds and insects. They sent someone to the room to fix the TV, but the phone was never replaced or repaired. My sister and her bf slept in my room on the first night, the smell was so bad! They also said that a maintenance man would be to my room to look at the hot water issue, but that never happened. We were afraid to switch rooms, incase we ended up with something worse. So, for the rest of the trip, I showered in my sisters room! The smell gradually decreased, but didn't completely go away.

The beach was very nice and we never had a problem finding beach chairs! There are local vendors that are allowed on the beach, but if you tell them, no thank you, they'll leave you alone. The pool water was very cold, so we didn't use it often and the swim up bar wasn't regularly staffed, so the service there was poor. It was best to get out of the pool and go around to the front of the swim up bar.

Overall, the food was decent. At most meals, you could find something to eat. The Mexican restaurant was great, we ate dinner there 3 nights out of 7! The great thing is you don't need to make reservations for the a la carte restaurants and can go as many times as you like. The snack bar had decent food and the french fries were GREAT!

We had booked a catamaran excursion to Catalina Island, as we had expressed to the representative that we really wanted to snorkel. We paid $75US each and were met by the representative the morning of our excursion and shown which bus to get on. The catamaran was fun, with drinks, open bar and animation staff dancing. Upon arrival to the island, the guide didn't say anything about snorkelling. We asked what was going on and he said we had been sent on the Saona Island tour, not the Catalina tour. The Saona Island excursion consisted of the catamaran ride, relaxing on that beach for 3 hrs, and going to a natural pool where there were star fish. Not only was this not to tour we paid for, we wouldn't have paid to relax on a different beach, and we couldnt go to the natural pool as you had to travel there by speedboat and I wasn't allowed to because I am pregnant. Also, the speedboats only took 25 mins to get back to the mainland but the catamaran took 1.5 hrs, so we had to leave Saona Island after only an hour there.

We spoke to the representative who booked the excursion for us and then sent us on the wrong excursion and he said that he called our room and spoke with someone who said it was ok to go to Saona Island instead. Once we told him the room phone didn't work, he mysteriously changed his story. Finally, we were refunded $100US. We didn't expect anything back, so this was a nice surprise... be careful who you book with. There are a few companies at the resort who run excursions. I'm not sure the name of the company we booked through, but the reps all wore yellow shirts.

The service at the resort was pretty good and the wait staff and bartenders were friendly enough. If you want better service at the bars, be sure to tip, otherwise it's not on a first come, first served basis... you basically wait until they decide they want to serve you.

Overall, the trip was alright, but not what we expected and definitely not worth what we paid!
I wouldn't recommend this resort.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Quinn W
Reviewed 15 February 2012

This a fairly lengthy review so I will tell the biggest thing first. I had gone to the beach. My girlfriend got out of the shower and heard the click of the electronic pass key in the door, so she thought it was me returning. I don't know who got the biggest surprise, the man from Ottawa, Canada coming in the door, his wife standing in the hall with the luggage or my naked girlfriend. The couple from Ottawa had waited 3 hours for a room and they were given ours. This was in the middle of our trip, 3-1/2 days before we were scheduled to check out.
My girlfriend, after covering up, invited the lady to wait in our room with her luggage while her husband went and tore somebody a new one. When I returned, I checked our room keys and they were both cancelled so we had to go fight to get them reactivated.

Nightly entertainment was absolutely low rent suckfest. Music was soooooo loud we couldn't even escape it back in our room.We had to put in earplugs and crank the tv to 100% but the bass vibrations were still felt. Entertainment was outdoors and same dancers doing same moves every nite with different costumes.
Every morning they played the same depressing Celine Dione songs on the beach.

Lied to and ripped off by the hotel excursion rep.
She arranged a cab for $100 to take us to Christopher Columbus burial site. Cab driver was supposed to be english speaking and give us a tour of Santo Domingo. He couldn't speak English and took off after dropping us off. Then we found out the burial site is closed every Monday and the guard drew a rifle on us and told us to go away.

Terrible waiters, great waitresses, beautiful beach where you could see the sun rise from the ocean and from the very same spot on the beach, you could watch the sun set into the ocean.

Warm water in the ocean, very cold water in the 3 tiny swimming pools which hardly anyone used. Some days we didn't see anyone in there.

The last nite, food was absolutely loaded with salt(this is a Newfie talkin' here and my favourite drink is a marguerita with lots of salt) so bad i could not find anything to eat except lettuce, tomatoes and dessert.

Rest of the time selection and quality was just enough. not spectacular, more like you would cook yourself, which was ok for the money $867 ea. but cold(not warm, cold) coffee and no wine most nites though the bars and al a carte had wine but somehow the buffet sometimes had it but mostly not. Tipping had no effect on service. This was surprising to me.

Really good French Fries at the beach. The beach was really nice. Spectacular sunsets and you can walk for miles in either direction with the shoreline and wave action quite varied. This was the best part of the trip.

The usual cigar vendors who come back to you 3 times per hour can be shoooed away by saying "I buy from Johnny"
Telling them I don't smoke in three languages hadn't worked so I came up with the very effective, "I buy from Johnny."

Bartenders made no effort to serve the people standing the longest at the bar. The beach bar staff often screwed up the order even when they weren't busy.

Sunwing, I really enjoy flying with them, but the resort should have been rated 2.5 stars not 4. We were going for low price this time but still had the parameters of beachfront(good beach), all-inclusive, minimum 3.5 stars.

First room, patio doors could barely be moved and would not close, bathroom full of small fastcrawling bugs, ~300. Had to argue our way thru 3 people to get another room.

Second room good except big soapscum stain on mirror `2sq ft there all week. I wrote "clean me" on it but it was never done. They didn't sweep the floors all week.
I am not exaggerating to say that the bed was harder than if I had sleft on commercial carpet on concrete. This is the absolute truth. I would sleep till it hurt then wake and move(15 times/nite) 3rd nite so exhausted took comforter from other bed and all bath towels and made a pad to lie on, slept 19 hours. I have slept on living floors and on the ground in camping tents without complaint but this was torture. It was an extremely hard mattress mounted on a raised slab of concrete instead of a boxspring.
One day I had the "do not disturb" sign on my door but the maids came in three times anyway.

Outside the buffet restaurant was a washroom where you had to pass over open sewer(peee-ewe every time) to get to it. In the washroom rusty fixtures, only one soap dispenser and it was broken and no way to dry your hands.

Elevator in our building became a running joke when it was running. I could have made a sitcom out of our misadventures with that elevator. It made us laugh a lot. And we didn't mind taking the stairs to the third floor. This was topped off with seeing my very first cockroach in there just before leaving for the airport. The elevator was the second best part of this trip.

At 6:30 a.m. we met 10 very nice German people who had just travelled 13 hours to arrive at 2:30 a.m. and find out there were no rooms for them. Ours was the only one becoming available but not till the staff would clean it later.They had been waiting in the courtyard for 4 hours with their luggage. They were in disbelief. So were we.

Met some nice Dominicans like last time but for the first time met some bad Dominicans of many kinds.
The "omelet king" was a delight to meet, he was always dancing around and singing as he cooked the morning eggs.
While I was out for a short walk in the afternoon, the aggressive hooker who grabbed me by the arm and tried to pull me out into the road was the other extreme. As was the H
aitian pimp who offered me "girls" the next day.

My normal vacation afterglow usually lasts 3 weeks. There wasn't going to be an afterglow from this one, only relief and gratefulness to get back to our Canadian winter and the thought that I may never travel down South again.

I thought that as long as I got a good beach and a decent price, nothing else would matter. But for $50 more a day I could have gone somewhere else and got the hotel I deserved after working all year and looking forward to my reward of a trip down South. Aren't you worth it?
I had read the reviews before going but thought that some people were just whiners and that some complaints were a year old so surely they would be OK now. I was an optimist and knew that my expectations for that price had to be adjusted. But lets face it, You want a nice beach, sun, a room, a bed that you can actually get to sleep on, some basic service and respect that you are a human being not just another faceless cattle at the trough. Keep in mind that, in any transactions, once they have your money, you can't get it back. This goes all the way from the travel agency to the hotel staff to the cab drivers and beach vendors.
And just as there are people who can drive their whole lives and never have an accident, statistics would surely have it that someone could go to this hotel and feel it suited them perfectly. Are they lucky or oblivious? I don't know but surely they are the minority. One woman on here said that only people who complain write reviews. Pretty naive. Some people have a terrible experience and don't want to be reminded of it so they don't write a review. Others would love to vent if only they knew of this site. I'm not the last who will write a bad review of Costa Caribe

Room Tip: Staying off the ground floor may help you avoid the bugs. Get as far away from the nightly entertainment as you can. Bring earplugs. Without bringing something thick to lay on the bed, you cannot get a good room.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
17  Thank vwspeedwagon
Reviewed 11 February 2012

Overall the week was very good. Somethings are very good(al a carte restaurants) somethings not so good(buffet) but overall the staff was helpful, happy and tried hard to keep everyone happy.

Room Tip: building by the casino very quiet
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple