Hello friends and family,
I have recently come back from vacationing in the Republica Dominicana having stayed at the Coral Costa Caribe with friends. Although the hotel was satisfactory...one exursion was heartbreaking.
The girls I traveled with along with myself decided it would be a fun afternoon to try horse back riding at the Crazy Horse Ranch in Juan Dolio, Dominican Republic. What we anticipated to be a fun girls day out turned overwhelmingly disappointing and sad to say the least.
The horses at this particular ranch are all incredibly unhealthy, malnourished, over worked and are not taken care of the way you would think a working horse should be taken care of.
After starting our horse back riding through the forests that went well beyond the ranch, the horse I was on had a hard time walking. He stopped several times...having been hit on his bottom to start up again by one of the workers was the only way he would walk.
It was minutes after our departure my horse had enough and completely collapsed, leaving me to fly off the horse onto the gravel road. Even though I was not incredibly hurt in the process, the horse suffered a major nose bleed and cried due to him not being able to get back up. After two attempts, the horse managed to get back on his feet and walked (what I assumed was back to the ranch).
If this was not sad enough, the workers (not speaking a word of English) grabbed me an even smaller horse and argued with me to get back on it and continue the exursion. I refused and so did several other horse ridings enthusiasts...it was pleasant to see others walking their horses instead of hurting them more so by getting back on. At the end, about ten of us (from various resorts) would not ride the horses again.
The horses' harnesses are kept so tight, their raw flesh underneath was getting worse by every minute in the scorching sun. A big thank-you to Sabrina from Toronto for loosening up the harnesses on the horses we were able to get help for.
It turned out my horse had his stomach turn while we were riding. The other horses were in terrible shape as well.
I am asking and pleading that other tourists do not go horse back riding at the Crazy Horse Ranch in Juan Dolio.
Having been thrown off the horse while my horse collapsed beneath me was a miracle to say the least that it was not more severe. Now imagine it was your child? Or even someone getting crushed by this beautiful animal?
All I ask is that the horses get better for riding again. As working horses...they need to be taken care of in the proper manner so accidents such as mine are preventable and people do not risk their lives (or the life of the horse) for a silly exursion.
Think twice before handing your money over for something as devastating as what we were witness to that very day.
Horses are incredibly powerful and beautiful animals, and if we don't have a voice on their behalf, who will?
Please think twice before riding at this ranch.
Thank-you kindly and I do hope my experience will serve for a better purpose and these horses get the care they need in order to ride the way they are meant to...and not be in pain doing so.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Overlooking the warm ocean waters of the Caribbean, enjoy a limitless family-oriented vacation experience. There are fun-filled activities under the sun for all. Our activities program includes water sports and one of the best white sand and boundless turquoise water beaches. Savor an outburst of flavors with a signature Caribbean flavor. These are just some of the ways in which you will keep busy during your stay at Coral Costa Caribe. The warmth of our staff is best expressed by the careful attention given to every small detail. Cradle yourself in the midst of its lush vegetation covered by impeccable tropical gardens surrounded by tropical flowers and trees. Seek refuge in one of our comfortable guest rooms; the heart and soul of the destination is embodied in its decor. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, lastminute.com.au, Wotif.com, Evoline ltd, Hooroo Pty Ltd, Hotels.com, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Coral Costa Caribe Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Coral Costa Caribe Resort, Spa And Casino
- Coral Costa Caribe Hotel Juan Dolio
- Hilton International Juan Dolio
- Costa Caribe Coral Hilton