Coral Costa Caribe Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Juan Dolio
Reviewed 15 March 2011

Hello friends and family,

I have recently come back from vacationing in the Republica Dominicana having stayed at the Coral Costa Caribe with friends. Although the hotel was satisfactory...one exursion was heartbreaking.
The girls I traveled with along with myself decided it would be a fun afternoon to try horse back riding at the Crazy Horse Ranch in Juan Dolio, Dominican Republic. What we anticipated to be a fun girls day out turned overwhelmingly disappointing and sad to say the least.
The horses at this particular ranch are all incredibly unhealthy, malnourished, over worked and are not taken care of the way you would think a working horse should be taken care of.
After starting our horse back riding through the forests that went well beyond the ranch, the horse I was on had a hard time walking. He stopped several times...having been hit on his bottom to start up again by one of the workers was the only way he would walk.
It was minutes after our departure my horse had enough and completely collapsed, leaving me to fly off the horse onto the gravel road. Even though I was not incredibly hurt in the process, the horse suffered a major nose bleed and cried due to him not being able to get back up. After two attempts, the horse managed to get back on his feet and walked (what I assumed was back to the ranch).
If this was not sad enough, the workers (not speaking a word of English) grabbed me an even smaller horse and argued with me to get back on it and continue the exursion. I refused and so did several other horse ridings enthusiasts...it was pleasant to see others walking their horses instead of hurting them more so by getting back on. At the end, about ten of us (from various resorts) would not ride the horses again.

The horses' harnesses are kept so tight, their raw flesh underneath was getting worse by every minute in the scorching sun. A big thank-you to Sabrina from Toronto for loosening up the harnesses on the horses we were able to get help for.

It turned out my horse had his stomach turn while we were riding. The other horses were in terrible shape as well.

I am asking and pleading that other tourists do not go horse back riding at the Crazy Horse Ranch in Juan Dolio.

Having been thrown off the horse while my horse collapsed beneath me was a miracle to say the least that it was not more severe. Now imagine it was your child? Or even someone getting crushed by this beautiful animal?

All I ask is that the horses get better for riding again. As working horses...they need to be taken care of in the proper manner so accidents such as mine are preventable and people do not risk their lives (or the life of the horse) for a silly exursion.

Think twice before handing your money over for something as devastating as what we were witness to that very day.

Horses are incredibly powerful and beautiful animals, and if we don't have a voice on their behalf, who will?

Please think twice before riding at this ranch.

Thank-you kindly and I do hope my experience will serve for a better purpose and these horses get the care they need in order to ride the way they are meant to...and not be in pain doing so.

Kind regards,

Ivana Pelisek

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank IvanaPelisek
Write a ReviewReviews (2,197)

Reviewed 14 March 2011

This was my first visit to the D.R. the weather was perfect, the beach beautiful. the stafff were friendly and for the most part attentive. The grounds were well kept. The food was good always plenty of options. The activities staff were friendly and always entertaining. This resort was good value for the money for anyone on a budget, Only minor problems that certainly didnt affect my vacation such as water pressure a bit poor at times but always had hot water and sometimes towels were a bit scarce but a simple phone call would produce some all in all would reccomend for a nice vacation

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 March 2011

My husband and I just returned yesterday, 3/12/11 from a 7 night stay at coral costa caribe. There were many good things about the resort: the food, the weather, and the staff. I always found something I liked at Ambar, the buffet style open air restaurant. Also, we enjoyed El Fogon (dominican food) and rigolettos's the italian restaurant. the Mexican restaurant wasn't so great. The service in the restaurants wasn't what I would call attentive by US standards, but once I accepted that I was pleased overall.
The beach is nice and is kept well groomed. there are nice clusters of palm trees where you can get some shade if you need it like I do. There are always sufficient towels and chairs. Vendors do roam the beach, but if you just say "no, gracias", they will generally move on.
Now for the room: We had a beautiful room with 2 balconies and a king sized platform bed. It appeared to havebeen re-done and the maid kept it clean, including placing flowers on the bed after making it up.
Here are the problems, and they may be significant to some. We had hot water ONCE in 7 days. I took cold showers each day. For the last 3 days of our stay, the water was shut off midday, to work on the hot water problem, I'm sure. The water from the tap is not suitable for drinking. Bottled water is provided. I used it to brush my teeth and had no stomach problems at all.

Our room overlooked the outdoor area where the evening entertainment was held. It went until 11PM and it was LOUD!!. It was so loud that we couldn't hear our TV no matter how high we turned up the volume.
We just tried to change our schedule so that we could stay up later, but I could've done without hearing this every night.
OVerall, this was a good vacation. Although I heard other guests obsessing about the lack of hot water, or about other room-related complaints, our main priority was the beach, the sun and the food/drinks.
Before you go think about what's most important to you and let that be your guide. We got a great deal, so I still feel like it was a good getaway for the price.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 March 2011

I found the staff attentive, friendly and very helpful. The food was pretty good and sometimes great. The drinks were brilliant. The disco was great fun. The animation team were very funny and happy and worked extremely hard. There were mixed nationalities at this hotel which I enjoyed (I appeared to be the only Brit)! The beach and the sea was beautiful. The trip to Isla Saona on the catamaran was fun and the Island itself beautiful. I danced lots of bachata/merengue and some salsa whilst at the disco and on the trip to Saona! All in all a great value holiday for the price with lots to offer.

My only negative comment is that the walls are paper thin and therefore sleep quality is not that good.

Do remember you are not in a 5* hotel nor are you in Europe where standards are slightly different. I had a ball and loved every minute of it.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank ksoydinc
Reviewed 11 March 2011

Why you should go:
Tight budget and need sun and beach.
Have a very strong digestive system To sustain the menu.
Get a taste of local service.
Gambling

Why you shouldn't go:
Unsafe for Young families , the pool closes at 6pm for a heavy chemical treatment.
The hotel is completely opened to the exterior population and sex trade workers.
Low grade food.
Light sleep ( thin walls)

Hotel mustve been a gem in its debuts , it is tired . Food is not for the faint of heart.
Service is awesone if you can tip.
Beach towels, dinner plates at buffet and water are all rare commodities.

I paid 500$ for a week....what is there to complain about, seriously.

• Stayed: April 2010
0.8 km away
Emotions by Hodelpa
Emotions by Hodelpa
#1 of 12 in Juan Dolio

Been to Coral Costa Caribe Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!