All reviews organic farm cross fit flying trapeze circus school farm tour eco hotel kite beach active vacation yoga classes farm to table unique hotel hotel cat incredible location overlooking the ocean the penthouse other guests learn how
Reviewed 14 April 2017

It's hard to put into words just how incredible my experience at Extreme Hotel was. Everything was AMAZING from the farm to table, fresh and beautifully plated food, to the picture perfect beach front location, and the variety of activities offered (with talented instructors). It all came together to create a unique vibe and EXTREME-ly positive experience for my friend and I. One of the best parts of our surf and yoga retreat was our daily interactions with friendly, helpful and passionate staff members; you truly feel the strong sense of community at the centre of this hotel's values from the moment you walk in. I am filled with gratitude for each day I spent there. The overall experience was very dynamic. It was the perfect combination of active and relaxing, and allowed for flexibility in the schedule to suit each visitors needs. The highlight of my retreat, although it is hard to pick, was learning about the farm and the commitment to being an eco centred and sustainable hotel. The farm tour was fantastic. I was inspired by how passionate, knowledgable and dedicated to the farm to table concept the owner and tour guide Robbie was. Really I couldn't have asked for anything more in a vacation. I'm so happy I went and will never forget the feelings of peace and pure bliss I experienced at Extreme. It's such a hidden gem! I have traveled quite a bit, and despite often choosing travel to new destinations, I know I will be back at Extreme! It's too beautiful to not visit twice...or 20 times!

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 April 2017

For a stay that was very reasonably priced I felt as though I was treated as royalty. At Extreme they really cater to your needs and make sure that you get the trip you are looking for. They are flexible with dates, provide you with plenty of adventure opportunities, the food is incredible, and everyone is so incredibly kind. The facilities are beautiful and I don't think the location could be any better as you are right on the beach. My friend and I did the surf and yoga retreat and enjoyed every class we went to. During our last yoga class the instructor Vicky had us do poses that would be helpful for a long plane ride. Once again catering to our needs. The surf instructors were hilarious and we made great improvement during our week. With so many places in the world to visit I don't often say that I would go back to a place but I think Extreme may be the exception. I have zero complaints.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 April 2017

If you like to blend relaxation with adventure, local culture with great food and drinks, this is the place to stay.

We booked the hotel learn-to-kite-board packages and stayed a week. Extreme is on the outskirts of Cabarete, so less crowded, but at the heart of the kite surfing action. As the wind always changes, it was perfect to just roll downstairs and be in kite gear within minutes. Plus we could stretch before kiting in the Yoga Loft overlooking the ocean, then enjoy happy hour at the casual restaurant after a day on the water.

There were other guests but felt like we had the place to ourselves, although we could always find staff for questions and everyone was friendly. I was VERY impressed by the mattress - usually they are rock hard in the Caribbean but Extreme's are firm yet still soft on top. A++ The property is solar powered but electricity was seamless. The hot water was immediate and lasted longer than at home honestly. Didn't notice the lack of AC as it cools off at night. The mini-fridge for water and beer was great. No security issues whatsoever. Fast wifi. Bring your own toiletries.

We traveled by moto or guagua to check out Sosua and restaurants in Cabarete (or walked down the beach) - food was good but more expensive than at Extreme. After a long day of activity, knowing a fresh and yummy meal was so close was really, really nice. We loved the rum punch - it was different every single time, but always freshly blended fruit!

We highly recommend the farm tour - our guide Savannah explained how the aquaponics provides fresh mint and basil for our mojitos and the tilapia for the cerviche we ordered almost every day. Those magical berries that enable flavor-tripping were in season when we visited, so we tasted Cuban cherries and star-fruit with a twist!

The Extreme team works so well together they make running a sustainable resort look easy. I loved the exciting of kiting lessons and then sitting by the pool, ocean, or our garden-view room to chill yet feeling part of a beneficial ecosystem - for sure we'll be back!

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 April 2017 via mobile

Then this is the place to be! Kite beach is the best kiteboarding beach in the entire world, and Extreme hotel sits right on it. The rooms are intentionally spartan, but are large and let in lots of light. Inspirational quotes from travelers dot the walls, reminding you that life happens outside those walls. The hotel itself is small, just 20 rooms or so, so you never feel crowded, and quickly get to know everyone. The real joys here though are in all the activities you can do! There's kiteboarding, yoga, fitness, and even a circus school there. Some of the best times are had on adventures too. The 27 waterfalls tour is amazing, and the hotel actually has its own farm tour - as it owns a local farm. This makes for one of the coolest aspects about this place: it's an eco-hotel that cares about the environment. It is all solar powered, and the farm they own feeds the restaurant itself. And oh my god, the restaurant makes some of the best food I've ever had. Seriously, Raul is magic. Try the chicken curry, you will probably cry it's so good. All in all, a hugely fun time with wonderful people! I can't recommend it enough!

Stayed: March 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 April 2017 via mobile

We wanted a relaxing adventure and this was the place to go. We are very active family and they had something for everyone to do to stay busy. Our 3 year old even got to do circus camp. Yoga and CrossFit for the adults. Easily walkable or moto to local hot spots. Rooms clean, staff friendly. If you are adventurous and free spirited highly recommend

Stayed: January 2017, travelled with family