“Absolutely Gorgeous!!”

Ranked #8 of 27 Cabarete B&B and Inns
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Absolutely Gorgeous!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2012

I stayed at this hotel back in June of 2010. I really enjoy how its extremely quiet and relaxing so if you're looking to be in a quiet, beautiful place for a few days this place is PERFECT! I don't remember the owner's name of hotel, but there is a bar alongside the pool where you can eat for an additional price and he and his wife will cook for you. It's also very secure. No one can enter the main gate without a key, and to go on the beach you must have a key since the gate is locked.

Now the downside is that it's a little further out from the center of Cabarete where all the main shops and restaurants are so if you plan on going out there I'd recommend taking the guagua or a taxi. I DO NOT recommend walking there at night...even if you're in a group. It's about a good 15-20 minutes walk...maybe even more. Another disadvantage was there was no way for me to buy and cook my own food so I had no choice but to eat at the bar, and the prices aren't reasonable. However, there may be some rooms in that provide small kitchens for you to prepare your own food (not too sure though).

Definitely go out there and interact with the locals.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
New Rochelle, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2012

The Barefoot Beach Pad has a lovely blend of modern comforts and a quiet beachfront location with amazing views of the ocean and a practically private beach just steps away from your room. You will fall asleep and wake to the sounds of the waves. The water appears quite rough, but the undertow is mild and many areas are shallow and only waist deep for yards out.
The property is located just east of the town of Cabarete and provides a pleasantly secluded experience, yet close enough to enjoy the activities and exciting nightlife in town. Hector and Andres, the caretaker, were very helpful in coordinating reliable transportation to and from the town.
Walking into Cabarete on the beach is a nice trek and doable, just be aware of high tide that can cover part of the beach on the way there, and use caution when crossing rocks as they become slippery. We also took a guided horseback ride on the beach that gave us a chance to see more of the pristine coastline.
Take the opportunity to visit Blue Moon Restaurant in the mountains just outside town for a unique dining experience. We look forward to returning to this slice of paradise.

• Stayed January 2012
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2012

We found this hotel to perfectly fit our needs!! If you want personalized attention this is the place. We are a couple that has very high expectations and can be demanding. Hector and his crew were very responsive to our every need. Hector, the manager, makes this place truely wonderful.....he understands the meaning of customer service.

mary paul and dick

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Denver, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2011

I really can't recommend this place enough. I stayed here on my first trip to the DR, and I chose this hotel because of the beautiful ocean views and excellent value. I began emailing with the owner, Hector, about 3 months in advance while I obsessively planned my trip. He answered all my questions thoroughly and provided some wonderful suggestions as well. He picked us up at the airport and treated us like family the whole time we were there. The staff is amazing. All the maintenance and cleaning are done by a husband/wife team who live on the property with their adorable daughter. They are so sweet and accommodating. They don't really speak English but were so friendly and patient with my terrible Spanish and helped me practice. Hector is fluent in both English and Spanish, and he has a unique perspective since he lived in the US for most of his life and now lives in the DR full time. I doubt you'd find another English-speaking man who knows as much about Cabarete as Hector, and you'd definitely be hard-pressed to find one as friendly and hospitable as he is. My boyfriend came down with a stomach bug and he took us to the clinic and the pharmacy and helped us get him some medicine and treatment. Good luck finding that kind of personal assistance at an AI resort! People will tell you that the ocean isn't safe to swim in here, and I didn't find that to be the case at all. The waves and currents are fairly strong so you'd need to be a good swimmer though, and I wouldn't let young children swim in the ocean here except on the mildest days. I swam on the beach right off the hotel property every single day, and it was quite secluded and lovely. The pool is amazing too! Small, but beautiful ocean view and very well-maintained. Pros include: made-to-order food from the small bar/restaurant, wonderful ocean views, great pool, amazing staff, large rooms, peaceful/tranquil location. Cons include: distance from town. You have to walk in on the beach (walking in on the road is kinda scary) which can be a very hot walk during the day but is absolutely pleasant in the evening. At night you'll need to take a motoconcho (which is hard to find after dark in that area) or a cab into town. Finding a motoconcho to take you back to the hotel at night is easy as there are many available in town. Also the beds could have been more comfortable, but I'm picky about that!

All in all, I left a piece of my heart at Barefoot. I cried when I left, because after 10 days I felt like Hector, Andres, Andrea, and Mariana were my family. If they'd rent long term, I'd move in there. Seriously. It's that amazing. No, it doesn't have the amenities and comforts of an AI resort. But if you're looking for that authentic DR experience, look no further. You'll find it here!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Centennial, Colorado
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2011

We just tried to check into this hotel; it is NOT AS ADVERTISED. It is not in Caberete, it is 2 KM from town down a gravel road behind a wooden driveway gate, it has NO RESTAURANT that we could find, NO BAR.... there was no front desk or manager when we arrived. It was deserted. No guests. We booked it on Expedia 1 hour ago and the manager of the hotel (available by phone through his grounds keeper) wants to charge a 1 night cancel fee. Theft. Avoid this place. I wonder if the other reviews were genuine or just fraudulent, too, planted by the owner. We left and stayed elsewhere. Ruined 4 hours of vacation time and lots of aggravation.

Room Tip: If you have a car and don't mind total isolation, this could work. But they need to properly re...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Jim M
evbarefoot, Owner at Barefoot Beach Pad, responded to this review, 17 October 2011
We at Barefoot, feel it is truly unfortunate that a prospective guest, upset about our cancellation policy, would resort to tarnishing our stellar reputation.

Some clarifications to your comments:

1. Barefoot Beach Pad is clearly in Cabarete, exactly 1.3 kilometers from the center of town as advertised on our website and all promotional sites. You can walk along the beach and be in downtown Cabarete in 25 minutes. A taxi will have you in the center of town in 2 minutes.

2. Regarding your statement we do not have a bar & grill. Please have a look at recent photos of guests enjoying themselves at our Bar and Grill posted on Oct 15th on our Facebook page. TripAdvisor does not allow me to post photos or links to this message, but it's very easy to find: Just do a google search under Barefoot Beach Pad Facebook and voila.

One photo was of the traditional roast pork prepared exclusively for a group celebrating a big anniversary and another couple from the UK is seen enjoying our grilled fish. We also serve bar favorites like chicken sandwiches, fried calamari (a big hit) and many others. Too bad you didn't get a taste of it.

3. We regret that you were unwilling to wait the 7 minutes it took our hotel manager, Hector, to arrive back from town where he was purchasing some merchandise for the hotel. Your arrival did coincide with our lowest season, hence your feeling of "isolation" but the guests staying with us at the time had no idea that they were expected to be there for your arrival. Our apologies.

4. Our beautiful infinity pool, 38' by 19' (700 sq ft), is one of the jewels of Barefoot. It also seems quite presumptuous of you to have rated our rooms, sleep quality, value and service when you never saw our rooms, never slept in our beds and never stayed more than 5 minutes from the time of you arrival.

5. Our cancellation policy is less stringent than most and clearly stated on all our sites.

6. Many of our guests who have posted reviews on TripAdvisor have included photos of themselves and listed their contact details. They can be reached by clicking on the blue link at the bottom of each review. So much for fraudulent reviews!!!!

Though it may not have been what you were looking for, our family owned B & B has an amazing crew and offers beautiful and spacious oceanfront rooms, home cooked meals and top quality service. An open natural beach front, peace and tranquility are exactly the things our guests who have ACTUALLY stayed with us are looking for.

Best regards,