All reviews breakfast buffet is happy hour at the bar small pool nice hotel comfort room beach side no elevator top floor perfect location hotel beach kite surfers beautiful beach palm trees restaurants and shops fun to watch cabarete beach great vacation
Reviewed 11 February 2018

My wife and I booked this hotel through Groupon and were generally satisfied. We're not "all-inclusive resort types," so the most appealing attribute to us was the convenient location within close walking distance to many restaurants and shops. While we didn't book an ocean view room, we did upgrade to a "comfort room." I believe this was the same room referenced in the "Be careful what room you get" review as our room, #21, was located above the lobby and along the roadway with a view of the side of an adjacent building. The street noise was, understandably, much more noticeable our first night (Sat) than it was the rest of our nights (Sun-Wed). If you want to spend a lot of time in your hotel room, I recommend you avoid this room. If you're like us and don't care to spend a lot of time in your room, the savings may be worthwhile. I will say the room was clean and reasonably appointed; and, the service, particularly at the front desk, was very good.
A few additional notes:
1. The hotel restaurant/bar, Serenade, is decent. The breakfast buffet is a bit overpriced, so if it's not included with your room there are a couple of nice, less expensive options just a short walk down the street. Or, you can buy some breakfast food at one of the nearby markets (see #3 below).
2. They charge you a 1,000 DOP (~$20 US)/towel deposit for beach towels during your stay. We didn't have any problems getting our deposit back at check-out...just make sure you have the money at check-in and don't lose your deposit receipt.
3. There's a small market just a ~min walk down the street East of the hotel. There's a larger grocery store, Janet's, another ~10 min walk further down the street from the small market. You can buy basic goods at both places, as well as snacks and alcohol, for much less than you'll pay at the hotel restaurant.
4. It's a production to charge food and drinks to your room. To do so, you need to a) "Open an account" at the front desk and then b) give your credit card to the bartender for swiping/filing. Even when you are able to charge to your room, you can't add tips to the charge so you still have to carry cash with you. It's kind of annoying, especially when you're at the beach in your wet swimsuit. That said, they never gave us a hard time for bringing our own drinks to the public areas/beach, so if you're just drinking, see #3 above.
5. The mattresses were SUPER firm in our room. It's almost like they forgot to put the mattress on the box-spring.
6. There isn't a coffee pot or water heater in the room, so if you're a caffeine addict you'll have to get your fix elsewhere.
7. My wife got a massage at the spa and said it was decent, particularly for the price.

Room tip: Avoid room #21 if you want a view and/or don't want to be on the street side on the southernmost hotel building.
Date of stay: February 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gary S
Claudia S, Owner at Hotel Villa Taina, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2018

Dear Gary S:

thank you very much for your good review of your stay! We are glad you liked our services and had a good time here in Villa Taina. Thank you for your great observations and please let us know if you are back next time (info@villataina.com) to make sure your stay is even more comfortable and that you are happy with your accommodation!

Sunny regards from Villa Taina!

Reviewed 27 January 2018

The hotel could not be better located, close to the restaurants and as close to the beach as you can get. The staff are extremely helpful and do everything they can to make your stay as pleasurable as possible. If you'r kiting it has storage available and choice of kite school within meters of entering the beach. There's a beach front bar and restaurant which offers a excellent rage of options, A short walk up the beach there are a host of good restaurants and bars. The hotel is split into two blocks one facing the sea and the other the road, if you want a sea view you have to book it as the hotel is extremely popular.

Room tip: Sea view room
Date of stay: January 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled solo

Dear Anthony C,

thanks for the 5 star review! We are happy you enjoyed your stay and our central Beach front location in the heart of Cabarete!
Looking forward to welcome you again in Villa Taina!

Sunny regards from Villa Taina

Reviewed 9 January 2018 via mobile

We checked in last night and are VERY DISAPPOINTED in the room we received. I knew I didn't book ocean view...but the room we got has a view of a WALL! And it is right over the lobby with TONS of street noise...horns...motorcycles...alarms...all night long. Not the relaxing vacation I imagined.

The room itself is fine. Clean and nice....but I feel from the pictures presented and the room we got that I was a victim of bait and switch. They said we could switch but it would cost more.

We are a family that does not have ability to take vacations often...then to save up to take a vacation to relax and to have a noisy room with a view of a wall is very disappointing.

Date of stay: January 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank BrockwayD
Claudia S, Owner at Hotel Villa Taina, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2018

Dear Stephen,

thank you for your feed back of the room you booked with us.
We are sorry to hear that this comfort room did not meet your expectations upon your arrival. I am glad we were able to accommodate you in a room that suits more your expectations in the meantime.
In fact we do have several repeating clients year after year who will reserve especially this Comfort room one year in advance to make sure they have this location during their stay of several weeks. I trust you will enjoy your stay with us and get the relaxation you deserve!
Sunny regards from your Villa Taina Team

Reviewed 2 January 2018

This hotel is absolutely perfekt if you, like us, don't like resorts.
It is small and cosy, right on the beach and everything just works.
Relaxing but with all the service you need.
The restaurant (Serenade) has the best people. They are always happy and and sweet, we are alread missing them.
Good food and drinks.

Date of stay: December 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank Rita B
RaceyShay, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Villa Taina, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2018

Dear Rita,

Thank you so much for taking the time to give us this 5-star review. We are very happy to hear you enjoyed your time at our hotel. We will be sure to pass on the great news to all of our staff. Hope you have a happy new year and we can't wait to welcome you back on your vacation to Cabarete.

Take Care!

Reviewed 29 December 2017

I stayed here during a study abroad program. Our time in Cabarete was brief, and I did get to have some time on the beach. The room was clean, the spacing of the double beds was a little odd, and the shower was too warm. I think the cold water faucet was broken and I had to get up and out that morning. I cannot fault the staff for it. I just lacked enough time to complain, get it fixed, and make it to breakfast. The bed was comfy, which was a great thing.

Date of stay: December 2017
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank emotion_garden