Lock in great prices from these sites
Alex M
Aberdeenshire, United Kingdom

The "Teak" Hotel. . . . aka: First Hotel

Review of First Hotel
4.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 20 Mar 2017
My friend and I were on a motorbike tour, we arrived in Mae Sot and where kinda winging it for accommodation.
We parked up at Krua Canadian cafe bar and got our bearings. We knew of the Teak hotel by reputation and after asking Canadian guy, we were on our way, it wasn't far for us to ride, round the block we had rode in on.
Reception was good, cash money and keys. . . boom.
Key rings are kinda big. . . !
Room was good size, sure it was a little dated but had clean feel to it. Shower room was ok, plenty power from hot shower, towels could maybe do with an upgrade.
The amount of teak would is mind blowing, the head board was almost a foot think, with stunning carvings, see pics.
We went back to Canadian for our dinner which was very good, plenty red wine at good price.
It's a relaxed hotel and seems like has regular or family guests, so felt safe and secure as everyone was seen coming up stairs.
Some parking, but was full buy morning, internet was ok. . . . didn't see food on site, so we had breakfast at . . . . yes you guessed it, the Canadian cafe.
We took a ride down to border, gets busy with traffic, but it is possible to keep left and do a U-turn under bridge, or park up and look across from under bridge to another country . . .
I will stay here if I visit again
Date of stay: March 2017
Room Tip: Smile when you talk, and/or get there early. . . . .
Trip type: Travelled with friends
  • Vio.com
  • Lol.travel
3.0 km from First Hotel
View more hotels in Mae Sot
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 February 2016

I have made several visit to Mae Sot and stay at other hotels by last time. But somehow I am not satisfied.
I have found this hotel accidently by cycling around mae sot. It is situated in front of Siam Commercial Bank, walking distance to Burmese Market and night market etc... The room is huge and the price is really cheap. I really love huge wooden teak decor and believe all these woods from Myanmar. I paid 500 Bahts for huge room and cheap laundry available too.
Since the first stay, I always stay there.

Room tip: Take the room face to Police station. The view and air is cleaner
Date of stay: September 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 October 2015

I've stayed for three nights at first hotel. The room was really good and comfortable. Food need to be improved. over roll i am okay with hotel and cleanliness. Front office team need to be more flexible and polite for their customers .

Room tip: select the new wing
Date of stay: February 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank 736himald
Reviewed 26 May 2015

The staff and owner are very nice and helpful. I stayed 2 or 3 nights, it's a blur. I cancelled one night and they kindly agreed to it. The breakfast I missed but they allowed me to help myself to what was there anyway. The room was very clean and spacious. It was a welcome break after the noise and pollution of Bangkok. It is off the beaten track and locals will not know it as they don't need to. As always in Thailand negotiate with the man who's tuktuk or taxi you're going to take, they do try! It's not the cheapest or most central hotel in Maesot but it's one of the best at that price. The wood work I could live without. Deforestation is rampant.

Room tip: From what I could see they're all much the same. It's a quiet spot.
Date of stay: January 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank kevinhayden
Reviewed 16 January 2015

Came in from Mae Sot from Myanmar and had to take a shared shuttle bus from the border to the center of Mae Sot for 200 bhat. It was quite far from the border. We asked directions for First Hotel once we got to downtown Mae Sot, but few people knew where it was or were willing to help us. Finally, a gentleman who owned a store kindly drove us there. (I don’t know how we would have found it without him!) Upon arrival, we found a woman at the front desk whose English was relatively good, but she soon left for the evening, and no one was at the front desk who could or would help us from about five o’clock in the afternoon to seven o’clock the next morning. Several people sat around watching television in the lobby, but they seemed disinterested in helping us. (I wasn’t even sure they worked there!) The room itself was mostly fine – although one of the mattresses was uncomfortable and the toilet had a pool of water left over from the previous occupants -- and you really couldn’t use the toilet without getting in the water. If you’re incredibly self-sufficient, and don’t mind feeling as if you’re staying in a ghost hotel, you’ll enjoy the reasonable rate.

Room tip: All rooms seem like they would be fine. The area is relatively quiet at night, and the hotel is big.
Date of stay: January 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 November 2014 via mobile

Great convivial place friendly staff especially Anne. Would stay here again. Well located, good wifi Could do with a bit more attention in the rooms regarding the stained curtains and groggy bathrooms but perfectly adequate at 280 single fan 400 twin a/c. I think any modernisation is focused on more wood and its carving. A passionate owner, one who must have purchased the timber when an opportunity arose.

Date of stay: November 2014