Algotels
Paris, France

A nice hideaway

Review of First Hotel
4.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 25 May 2015
The staff and owner are very nice and helpful. I stayed 2 or 3 nights, it's a blur. I cancelled one night and they kindly agreed to it. The breakfast I missed but they allowed me to help myself to what was there anyway. The room was very clean and spacious. It was a welcome break after the noise and pollution of Bangkok. It is off the beaten track and locals will not know it as they don't need to. As always in Thailand negotiate with the man who's tuktuk or taxi you're going to take, they do try! It's not the cheapest or most central hotel in Maesot but it's one of the best at that price. The wood work I could live without. Deforestation is rampant.
Date of stay: January 2015
Room Tip: From what I could see they're all much the same. It's a quiet spot.
Trip type: Travelled with friends
0.9 km from First Hotel
  • Lol.travel
3.0 km from First Hotel
View more hotels in Mae Sot
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 16 January 2015

Came in from Mae Sot from Myanmar and had to take a shared shuttle bus from the border to the center of Mae Sot for 200 bhat. It was quite far from the border. We asked directions for First Hotel once we got to downtown Mae Sot, but few people knew where it was or were willing to help us. Finally, a gentleman who owned a store kindly drove us there. (I don’t know how we would have found it without him!) Upon arrival, we found a woman at the front desk whose English was relatively good, but she soon left for the evening, and no one was at the front desk who could or would help us from about five o’clock in the afternoon to seven o’clock the next morning. Several people sat around watching television in the lobby, but they seemed disinterested in helping us. (I wasn’t even sure they worked there!) The room itself was mostly fine – although one of the mattresses was uncomfortable and the toilet had a pool of water left over from the previous occupants -- and you really couldn’t use the toilet without getting in the water. If you’re incredibly self-sufficient, and don’t mind feeling as if you’re staying in a ghost hotel, you’ll enjoy the reasonable rate.

Room tip: All rooms seem like they would be fine. The area is relatively quiet at night, and the hotel is big.
Date of stay: January 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 November 2014 via mobile

Great convivial place friendly staff especially Anne. Would stay here again. Well located, good wifi Could do with a bit more attention in the rooms regarding the stained curtains and groggy bathrooms but perfectly adequate at 280 single fan 400 twin a/c. I think any modernisation is focused on more wood and its carving. A passionate owner, one who must have purchased the timber when an opportunity arose.

Date of stay: November 2014
Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank RayPar
Reviewed 19 March 2014

The heavy, dark carved wood everywhere was awesome, and probably most North Americans will never have seen this much intricately carved wood all in one place. The bedding was unpleasant, but you’re here to look at the amazing woodwork that the owner told me is constantly being worked on by carpenters from Burma, not to gaze at the linens so don't let that stop you from experiencing the dark woodwork. The marble bathrooms add to the experience, but slippery when wet! The location is central, although far from the main bus terminal and the Burmese border. Booking.com indicated no availability, but there were rooms when we went to the front desk. For ~450bht per night for a double, why wouldn’t you stay for a night? Every place I stayed had a combination A & C electrical outlet, so I didn’t need a plug adapter for my U.S. A-type plug. WiFi depended on where you were in the building. There was AC, but there were also mosquitoes so I used my net.

Date of stay: February 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
4  Thank juliethefirehorse
Reviewed 13 February 2014

In the whole of Thailand we have never found a place with such a wonerfull owner, incredible wooden creations, bathrooms made of marble. Over the period of our stay we had 4 different rooms, there were no bugs in any of them, each time they were clean, fresh towels were brought daily, free botteled water was a nice touch. The only thing missing was warm water, but I don't think you're gonna get it in this price range anywhere around.

Date of stay: September 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Miracidium
Reviewed 7 February 2014

From the outside, this hotel looks like a real dump, but once you step inside, you are welcomed by antique teak furniture that is absolutely fantastic. The furniture alone make it a worthwhile option. The lobby staff allow you to choose a room other than theo one they show you. The rooms are priced at 280 and 450 Baht respectively for fan and air-con rooms. There is no breakfast, to the best of my knowledge. The rooms are very spacious and comfortable. The window was slightly broken in my room, but the glass was intact. The room was full of teak furniture. There is satellite TV, a fridge and free wifi. The aircon rooms are quiet, but the fan ones are prone to traffic and street noise. There is a car park outside. The shower is good enough, but not superb. There is plenty of hot water. I would stay there again. I am not sure whether they clean the rooms every day. Mine wasn't cleaned. The aircon in my room had no temperature control - only the numbers 1 and 2. However, it was cold during the day, but a little warm at night.

Room tip: Aircon rooms avoid street noise.
Date of stay: February 2014