“Not quite a hotel” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #15 of 25 Hotels in Tagaytay
manila
“Not quite a hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2009

We checked in last Valentine's day, February 14, 2009 because they were having a promo. Check in was no problem. Everything was quick. Our rooms were prepared since we checked in around 5pm already. We were assigned a first room then upon entering the room, concierge approached us and immediately had us transferred to another room because the heater wasn't working.
Our 2nd room, was bigger but view was bad. One of the lights wasn't working. Called the engineer to have it fixed. But it took quite a long time so we just let it go. Bathroom was small. Couldn't close the door and at the same time stand near the sink. Lack of space.
The next day, when I was about to take a bath before checking out, found out that heater wasn't working. It was working the night before. So I called the engineer again. They had a look and found out that the heater was busted. It was a portable heater. If they need to have it changed, it would take an hour or so! Hay! The only solution is that they give me hot water in pail! What a weird scenario to end my stay!!!

Wifi wasn't working even though they said it was free. They were blaming the poor connection on the 3rd floor.

Even parking space is very bad!!!

I suggest that the hotel try to improve on A LOT of their services because people will not come back and patronize them once they are dissatisfied with their stay

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank cute_kaila

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Seattle
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2009

I agree with the review that the room did not look like the one on the website. It was smaller and the bathroom was very tight, no way you can fit 2 people in there. The hotel has been open about 2-3 months so I expected all the kinks to be worked out and that the rooms would be in excellent condition as they were still pretty new. The shower stall already had a little mildew in the corners and shower pipes were already starting to get rusty. You can also tell they did not use high quality materials as there were nicks on the door jams and some weird stains on the wallpaper. I had some concerns about housekeeping as there was still hair in the shower stall and sink after they cleaned our room. At least I know it was our hair since we didn't see any when we checked in, but if it was a new guest, that would have been disgusting, The 2nd day we were there, our hot water stopped working. They had to send an "engineer" to come fix it. He left our door wide open while he was fixing our bathroom and never questioned us when we came in and out of our room. Anyone could have come in and taken stuff.

When we reserved the, the website advertised 10% discount on the spa. Well, the spa wasn't open yet and if you wanted anything done, they had limited service that can be done in your room (don't forget, this is a very small room). I ordered the spa pedicure at 500 pesos (very pricey for Philippines standards) as I needed to get my nails done for a wedding. They sent some lady with dirty towel, dirty tools, and no spa. All she did was change my nail polish and the new color she put on wasn't even and was done very poorly (on the cuticles etc). Needless to say, I was very upset about this and complained. They still charged me 200 pesos for this joke of a pedicure. If I had the same lady come to a house to do my nails anywhere else in the Philippines, it probably would have cost less than 50 pesos and that was the quality of my pedicure. Another thing that made me upset was the pool wasn't open yet. There was nothing in the website indicating the pool wasn't done yet, but I think they only had floors 2-5 done, 6-9 was still under construction and our view from our room was of construction. Also, the only business open was 7-11, since the hotel was located away from the center, there was not much choice except to eat at the hotel or get something at 7-11.

The one thing I didn't have any complaint about was the actual friendliness of the staff. They were very nice, but I felt they had no authority to do anything, just to smile and be nice. I had no issues with check in, but check out was another issue. We checked out before noon thinking we would beat the rush, well, it still took 1/2 hour. Most hotels I have been to, check out is a fast process. While we sat in the lobby, they had to calculate everything and I guess housekeeping was cleaning our rooms to make sure nothing was missing. One of the staff came to my mother in law and accused her of stealing a face towel and floor mat. She didn't come out and say steal, but said maybe she "accidentally" put the towels in her suitcase. BS, they were accusing her of stealing. Needless to say, my in laws were very upset, and the housekeeper found the towels. Not a very good last impression.

All in all, I probably would not stay at the place again. By the time they have everything open (pool, spa, businesses), the hotel rooms will probably be run down. I got a special "promo rate" so I wasn't as upset as I would be, but if I had to pay their published rates, they better have everything open and ready to go.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
4 Thank idalim

Travellers are raving about these Tagaytay hotels

philippines
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2009

Booked 2 bedrooms suites and a deluxe room for valentine's. We reached the hotel around 12 noon but the check-in time is 2 pm. They said we can check-in as early as 1:30 pm so we decided to wait there hoping they would notice us and follow up our room and check us in asap. It's already 1:30 and I asked them again..they said the rooms are not yet available and I told them maybe 1 of the 3 rooms is available so we could at least put our bags and relax while waiting for the 2 more rooms as they become available. Bu they said they are still cleaning them. Ok, it's now 10 mins. before 2 pm, I asked them again and they said it's still not available...I said can you pls. check at least 1 of the 3 rooms?? When the receptionist checked on her computer...she found out 2 rooms are already available!!! We were seated at the front of their desk waiting for more than an hour and they don't even check if we could already occupy our rooms! If i didn't ask then they won't even call us and say the rooms are ready! So there we checked in even if 1 room is still being cleaned and they said they will just bring the room key to us once it's cleaned. The 2 rooms were okay, the Deluxe Room has 2 double beds, soft pillows, and the rooms was nice and clean. Toilet is small with no bathtub. One bedroom suite has a king size bed, 1 small LCD tv inside room and 1 big LCD tv at the receiving area with a wonderful view of the garbage dump on the vacant lot beside the hotel! What a very disgusting view!! When we first went upstairs I saw the housekeepers and they said they were already done cleaning the room and I even asked them to get the key for us, they even said "Ok Ma'm". Ok, so I was waiting for the key when I found out it was already 2 pm! Still we don't have the key! I called them and they said the room is not yet cleaned...which isn't true! I told them I saw the housekeepers done cleaning...they said they weren't adviced about it..and promised to bring the key upstairs. Waited for about 10 mins. still no room key! The lobby is at the 1st floor and our room was at the 2nd floor! What's taking them so long??? I called again...and they said AGAIN that they'll have someone bring the key...so we waited again...and after 10 more mins. no one came to hand over the key! I grew mad and went downstairs to get the key by myself! When I reached the front desk they said they'll AGAIN ask someone to bring it....and i said NO i'll get it now! Gosh! They key wasn't even ready..they were busy with some papers...i waited for the key and got my breakfast coupons as well (which the receptionist almost forgot to hand over if i didn't remind her). And before i went up to the room, there were other people who are checking in and so mad already due to their poor service!!! They had the others wait for minutes before they could check-in!! I even heard one of the supervisors making a follow-up through her radio for a specific room because the persons who will occupy the room has already gone mad! It was already past 2 pm that time..and those who'd like to check-in have gone mad waiting for their rooms to be cleaned!!! I hope they can hire more experienced staffs! The hotel is nice...but the staffs are the worst I've experienced! Buffet breakfast is ok..but few choices. They should have added more dishes or even salads. They only have free coffee and water for the buffet.

• Liked — new, nice and clean rooms
  • Disliked — terrible front desk!
  • Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Check-in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank geeztravels
calgary
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2009

We booked on line at this hotel.. One Tagaytay Place at Barrio Sungay, Tagaytay City Philippines. Their website is very impressive. We booked two de luxe room for two nights based what it shown on their website. We were so excited what we've seen in their web. The room looks clean, big etc. Looks very professionally done. When we got there our frustrations has began. The two de luxe room that we booked was not the same that shown on the web. The photos were very deceiving. We had to complain at the front desk. Their response was these are the rooms that we have. We told them that this is not the same room what it shown on your web that you are advertising. They told us the photos on the web are not even constructed yet. A guy by the name Clark was not even friendly. He did not even smile when he was convencing us about the room. The room were very small. When you come in to the bathroom you have to go sideways otherwise the door won't shut. The towel bar is located inside the shower. What a poor design in this hotel. We don't have hot water on the first night so we waited next day to get it fixed. The housekeeping had to bring a bucket of water so we can take a shower. We end up of booking additional room for the number of people that we had. What a bad experience for us. Next time we will be very careful of booking a hotel on line. We don't recommend this hotel at all.

Stayed January 2009, travelled with family