Lowest prices for your stay
USD 85
TravelocityUSD 85
CheapTicketsUSD 85
Orbitz.comUSD 85
1,527 results
All reviews acacia trees the river puppet show deluxe river view room watching the sunset e bikes hotel is located buffet breakfast open air riverside irrawaddy riverview veranda burma mandalay usd nyaung
Selected filters
Reviewed 1 June 2013

The grounds are wonderful, very spacious & an enormous shady tree over the whole of the dining area which was really beautuful. Breakfast was just okay nothing to rave about but found enough to eat, it was quite hot & the food was not as cold as one would have liked. Dinner however we found most enjoyable only selected a few dishes but they were all very good. We were lazy, it was hot & we ate there both nights, staff were polite just a little reserved. ould we stay here again if visiting probably, but if there was better on offer, perhaps not. We enjoyed seeing the squirrels something different for us & the pool area looked very inviting but we didn't get to it!

Room tip: I liked our room overlooking the river, quaint a bit sparse but serviceable with a big bathroom.
Date of stay: May 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 May 2013

You already know I have mixed feelings about the Thande.

The gardens, the open air dining area and the views of the Irrawaddy River are wonderful. The swimming pool is fine. The exterior appearance of the cottages is very reminiscent of a hill station from the era of the Raj.There is even an historic building erected to house the Prince of Wales during a 1922 visit. I enjoyed all of that. I don't want to minimize these wonderful things.
They are of genuine value and gave me a lot of pleasure.

The rooms, the food and the front office service personnel, however, were troubling.
The rooms stunk of camphor which, for some reason, the hotel management thinks is a good thing. After some hands and knees exploration I found all three hiding places for the little satchets and got rid of them. The fumes gradually subsided. However, upon entering the spacious bathroom I understood immediately why they'd been secreted about: here was a stench of sewage. I asked for a different room, calling out the chemical and the septic odors but was told we were the last to check into the last room, but that they would move us the next day. At first I thought the smell was from the water leaking from the base of the toilet, it wasn't. I traced the sewage stink to the floor drain in the bathroom. I then realized that all the cottages in this row shared a common unvented sewer pipe and that the smell was likely a permanent feature. I stretched a plastic bag over the drain and secured it with a rubber band. Problem addressed.
The next day they did give us a room which was on the upside of the slope and didn't smell of sewage. However I did have to repeat my moth ball safari. After that we were fine.
The food, breakfast is ok as it is self-serve and gratis, the garden and view marvelous. Avoid dinner, poor service will ensure a very long wait for food that may or may not be palatable. It will, however, be pricey. In retrospect We should have walked into town where one can do better. I guess we were lazy after a full day taking in wonderful Bagan.
In Myanmar, if you don't know by now, you will meet people who must be among the sweetest in the world: a wonderful part of our trip. However, the staff in the Thande Hotel Reception were cold and indifferent. I don't know what has happened in that hotel but that staff is not happy. They were frightened to pass on word of a bad experience to the manager and asked please that I write comments over my name to be passed along on the part of a guest, which I did.
Would I go back? No, I would want to try another hotel, however, if I found myself there again I now know the drill and could engineer a happy stay. The grounds are lovely, keep the negatives in perspective and you'll do well.

Room tip: Try for a room on the upside of a slope, less likely to smell of sewage. Find and remove the sachets of camphor the management likes to hide.
Date of stay: February 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank RussW295
Reviewed 31 May 2013

It was the best holiday last year, the hotel is beautiful, our room was very clean, also in front of Arawadee river. The team very friendly an professional which was Asian hospitality.. The restaurant has a high standard.

however the prices were reasonable so no complaints.

We spent only 1 night :( , we will be going back!

Date of stay: September 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 30 May 2013

A wonderful hotel to stay in Old Bagan, choose the deluxe river view rooms, they are worth it!! they are below the garden, you have a fantastic unobstructed view to the Ayarwaddy river, amazing sun set and very peaceful. The food is quite good and they have a great break fast choice!! the staff is pleasant and kind, i will return for sure to this hotel if i travel to bagan again.

Room tip: chose the deluxe river view rooms, they are worth it!!
Date of stay: January 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 May 2013

First the good things about this hotel. The location is great and the staff is very friendly and caring. The rooms are very basic and small with hard beds. The 2 chairs are very hard too. But, we had dinner at the hotel because we didn't want to risk eating out and getting sick and guess what!!!!! After eating just some fried rice and a stir fry, both my husband and I got so sick during the night. And we spent all of the next day in bed too, so we missed all the sightseeing. We complained and they blamed us for eating the wrong food (that they had served). The only good thing was a staff member who brought us rice soup and medication. We have travelled in most SE Asian countries and NEVER been sick and eaten local food.

Date of stay: May 2013
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank Qcruiser