“2 Special Dives in Lifou”
Review of Lagoon Safaris

Lagoon Safaris
Ranked #7 of 12 things to do in Lifou
More attraction details
Owner description: The dive centre is situated in the tribal lodgings of Mr Benoit Bonua on the waterfront where the cruise ships arrive. We organise 2 tank half-day dive trips to the untouched reefs on the north west coast of Lifou. These dive sites, well known for excellent visibilty, beautiful reefs and giant colorful fan corals, are very popular with photographers. We also organise introductory dives and dive training. We are a small dive centre and only cater for 8 divers per outing so it is necessary to book ahead.
Reviewed 4 March 2015

We sailed to Lifou on the Celebrity Solstice in Jan 2015 and because our cruise ship arrived late on Lifou, only Lagoon Safaris were willing to accommodate my diving needs. I did 2 reef dives with them, one for 48 mins and the other 70 mins, steel tanks. Saw sharks, rays and lots of medium size fish. The dive boat was a 12 man semi inflatable with no toilet facilities or shade, but strangely didn’t make much of a difference, as we have the water and sunscreen to compensate. Our Guides were ok too, but it’s a help if you can speak French. They have a bigger, more comfy dive boat under construction. I must say that Annabella was very, very helpful in arranging the dives via email and the dive sites were very good even though a storm had passed though recently. Id recommend this to any divers.

3  Thank anthony g

Reviewed 2 December 2014

Wonderful diving experience, lovely people, organised, knowledgable, awesome visibility and so much to see. We were met at the dock by Lagoon Safaris after getting the 1st Tender off the Pacific Jewel, There wasn't a diving shore tour available through P & O for Lifou, so I searched independently and contacted Annabella she was very helpful and accomodating for our group, the Dive Master Edward was very knowledgable even though his English was limited, he was very perceptive and we felt safe in his care. Patrick our boat driver was also a lovely guy with limited English, we had a great time and look forward to going back again soon, Thanks Lagoon Safaris for a great time.

6  Thank Jody487
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Great little dive set up run by a truly fascinating gentleman...
Probably the finest coral garden I have ever seen, pristine conditions, unbelievable shapes and colours.

5  Thank Sue602013
Reviewed 21 December 2013

This was absolutely fabulous diving and I would go back just to do more dives. I arrived in Lifou by the cruise ship, Carnival Spirit, and caught the first tender to the pier to meet someone from Lagoon Safaris. This trip I had to book on my own emailing with Annabella (unfortunately it was not available as a shore excursion via the ship) but I can strongly recommend it. Annabella was extremely professional to work with and she has trained up an outstanding staff. I am an advanced diver with 750 dives and the diver master treated me well. I was still asked to stay within sight of the divemaster which was a reasonable expectation. We had one novice in the group and the divemaster paid very good attention to him.

Divers should be aware of a couple of thing. First, we dove off a small inflatable, which is preferred by me as I am very at home diving off them, but I am aware not everyone will feel the same. Don't let this deter you as you'd be missing out. Second, the boat driver and divemaster only spoke French. Annabella speaks English (she stayed back at the shop) as so does another instructor she occasionally uses. I speak a little French so felt comfortable. But again don't let this deter you. Be aware they use DIN valves here on the tanks. I showed up with my "regular" regulator, but they sorted me out and had me use one of the shop's regulators. They are good quality Mares, and well maintained.

The diving itself was great. Fabulous coral gardens, great walls, a good sized shark and a turtle. It was surprisingly not deep so we got good bottom times. The first dive had a large number of channels to swim through and the second one has more plus some swim throughs, and even a small cave. Annabella says they get the occasional hammerhead, but no luck with that unfortunately. I am a hard diver to impress and I was impressed. Annabella tells me that because of the novice with us we didn't do the best site. Hard to believe it could be better!

I told the cruise director to add Lagoon Safaris to their list of shore excursions and he referred me to their Miami office. I'll follow up with them. There was one shore excursion employee from the ship who was a diver and she really wanted to know how it went so she could try the diving herself. However, it is clear that the decision to add Lagoon Safaris as an official shore excursion would be one made at several levels above these two folks. So we'll see how it goes.

If you like diving, you won't be disappointed with Lagoon Safaris.

20  Thank TheDudeski
See more reviews
Reviewed 18 December 2013

We caught an early tender (8:15am) to shore when the Pacific Dawn anchored at Lifou. Annabella was waiting near the bottom of the hill and offered to take us to a more private location to go snorkelling at 11am. We paid up front as there were only 16 places available and then went wandering for a couple of hours. When we returned to the jetty to go snorkelling, Annabella gave us some money back as she had overcharged us by mistake. Can't fault that for honesty!

So we travelled about 20 mins clockwise around the island, getting a beautiful close up view of the coast and the scenery to a dive point where it was just us. Visibility was not perfect, apparently the coral had spawned recently, but what a beautiful, amazing spot. I'm not a particularly confident swimmer and hadn't snorkelled for 20 years, so didn't go right out to the at the edge of the reef, but others did and raved about it.

On the way back, it was a little rough so a few of our party got somewhat saturated! But it didn't detract from the trip.

Equipment was very clean. Needed minimal adjustment. Maximum of 16 people (we had 14) on the tour. Combine the boat trip and the associated scenery, the beautiful corals, the fish, the turtle my wife saw, the privacy, and it was money well spent.

14  Thank Mark W