All reviewsbeautiful beachcoconut crabchampagne beachsolar showerhot wateramazing locationelectricityhogaccommodationschoolluganvillehosts
Reviewed 23 January 2018

I'm not sure if I have the right place, we booked on AirBnB and it was called Absolute beach front bungalows, Hog Harbour, run by Daniel and Georgina Vocor? We stayed 4 nights and I think we stayed in one of the newer bungalows, it was very basic and only cold water showers (which we were aware of) and it was tidy and clean, had insect screens and it suited our needs just fine. We felt that the bungalows were over-priced for what they were but they were located a stones throw from the beach with a truly stunning outlook, so peaceful and serene, except for the wild dogs barking and scraping through out the night, and the loud thunderstorms that hit the area for 2 nights.

Our hosts were really beautiful people, very friendly and accommodating, they were just installing lighting on our bungalow the day we arrived, so that was a bonus! Complimentary breakfast consisted of daily fresh baked bread with a variety of fresh fruit and a hot water flask to make coffee/tea which was delivered to our bungalow every morning. We found Lonnoc beach to be absolutely beautiful, better than the well touted Champagne beach which was only a short walking distance away, and cost us 500Vt each to enter that beach.

The restaurant had one of the best menu's we had come across since staying on Santo, catering for gluten free, dairy free, vegetarian and vegan options, and was around the same price as most of the restaurants/cafe's we went to. The staff were awesum, always smiling and the service could not be faulted and they spoke reasonably good English. There was free Wifi available at a docking station in a corner of the restaurant, but it was only available between 10-2 and 5-9pm, and that was not necessarily punctual and the connection was hit and miss on certain days. This was not really an issue for us at all because we came here to get off the grid and away from the maddening world.

Overall, we had a pleasant stay and were quite impressed with the beach here! :)

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sassyspirit55
Reviewed 9 January 2018

Lonnoc Beach Bungalows
Espiritu Santo
Beware of this place REALLY BEWARE!!!
552076604
Firstly let me say that the people were very nice an friendly however that’s where the good stuff ends!!!
We were picked up at the airport on the Lonnoc bus and were taken to Lonnoc, it was a nice trip and Daniel our driver pointed out some of the sights along the way.
When we arrived it was like they had no record of our booking, anyway they gave us a bungalow (quite a bit smaller than the one we ordered) and we prepared to settle in. On our first night it was really hot and there is no breeze through the vegetation along the beach, no fan, toilet did not flush and at around 10pm the dogs started barking constantly until morning, at around 1-2am the Roosters started as well. The next morning there was no water for the shower as they had forgotten to fill the main tank.
So un showered we went for breakfast ( if you could call it that )I walked In to see a cat doing it's business in the sand floor surounding the dining room it then proceeded to climb on our table. At lunch time they had run out of food, so lunch was made up of some snack food we had brought with us!! That night the manager who had been to the markets to restock informed us that the only thing for dinner was spaghetti. Then it was more heat and dogs until morning. That was it for us we left that morning and luckily found a fantastic island resort!! I will post about that later..

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 January 2018

Over-priced, outdated & indifferent management.

- Infested bungalow: Ants and cockroaches living in the floor and walls
- Animal droppings all over the beds and towels
- Open bungalow, allowing any insects in, no fly screens
- No toilet flush
- No fly screen (was advertised)
- Extremely old, damp and uncomfortable mattresses
- Not remotely as displayed online in pictures
- Wi-Fi only available when Manager turns up (not as advertised)
- No electricity at day time. Devices can only be charged at reception without supervision
- When asking for a transport to the airport the Manager wanted to charge us double the price
- Very limited cuisine
- Sleepless nights due to their dogs barking through to 4 am and the roosters starting to crow at 1 am
- No fan (wasn't advertised, but would be a valuable and inexpensive addition)
- Feels like an abandoned resort of someone trying to get the last money out of it

Compared to similar priced accommodations ($120 AUD per night) we stayed at on the same island, this place is a pure rip off. For the same price we stayed at beautiful, freshly renovated self-contained beach side bungalows with amazing, caring service, including many extras (free activities and transports).

Just avoid this place, you can get a lot more for the same price!

Room Tip: Get more somewhere else for the same price
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Robin A
Kim A, Guest Relations Manager at Lonnoc Beach Bungalows, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2018

I am sorry you had such a bad experience but it seems you have reviewed the wrong place. We don't have anyone with your name on our guest list.. ALL of our bungalows are fly screened & secure and have mosquito nets, all toilets flush, most rooms have just been re painted, and are cleaned/serviced daily. While you can only charge devices at reception at our resort also - they are all locked away from harms way in the office. WiFi is available all the time as we are totally solar powered and don't have to rely on generators. All our photos online are exactly as the resort is... While we also do not have fans - it is not possible as there is no electricity up that far and to run a generator just because someone wants to leave a fan on - is a very expensive exercise. I am sorry if the rooster crows at 1am - but no one can stop that... We have an extensive menu at the restaurant all at reasonable prices from 1000vatu. We have many staff and students from the hospitality school so there is always a helpful & friendly atmosphere and someone is always there if you have any problems or questions.

Reviewed 31 August 2017 via mobile

Primarily I was thinking in giving an average review. While travelling for several weeks the South Pacific and also have visited Tanna, my husband and I wanted to spent some days at the beach in a nice place. We rented the most expensive Bungalow and prepaid 1000 AUD for our stay. When we arrived my first thought was to leave immediately. Unfortunately we had prepaid and wouldn't have received a refund so we decided to stay. The Bungalow had a very nice outside bathroom with no warm water and no pressure in the shower. After using the toilet the smell was quite bad. A bag for solar shower was provided, which was not very helpful. There was no electricity but only a battery provided. All electric devices had to be charged at the restaurant which turned on the electricity as well as the worse WiFi, at best, during breakfast, lunch and dinner. We tried to make the best of the situation since the beach was amazing and very beautiful. Snorkeling was also very nice. The owner Daniel and his wife were very nice and also offered some tours, which we did. They also invited us to a BBQ.
The reason why finally I decided to give the worst review is because of the following:
After checking out I reached out to Kim who takes care of the bookings and gave her some feedback on our stay. Especially on the website which I think was misleading on the actual situation and the false information. According to the website the kayaks were free of charge. We were charged to pay for them, which Kim responded that this should not have happened.
Further we were told that the transport costs 8000 vatu, which was also the price for one night stay in our Bungalow, one way, to and from the airport. This price is actually the price of a taxi. When we arrived we were picked up by a bus and we were OK with that. On our way to the airport the bus was full, also with guests and locals. And we also had prepaid for the transport. We were quite annoyed when the locals paid almost nothing for the transport and the other couple, which stayed at the same location paid 7000 for both ways. Kim responded "...I am sorry about that and know nothing about it - I will certainly look into that one! I dot know who transported them for 7000 all up as that is very cheap - I know Kalmer has started some cheaper transfers for his guests but not sure who did the 7,ooo transfer? As even though I quote 8,000 that is a group price - so if only 2 of you is 8,000, if the bus is full with guests it is still 8,000 shared between how many guests are travelling in the bus.." I was very annoyed about this and I requested a refund on the money we paid too much. Especially since we were defrauded. The owner Daniel knew exactly that we were not going to be the only guests and still demanded the whole amount and also got the money from the other couples. This is outrageous. Through the email conversation with Kim it was my understanding we would get a refund, which we never received. Although Tanna was very nice, wrt Espiritu Santo I had the impression that tourists are walking dollar bills for the locals. Definitely not worth going. It's just too expensive for the ammenities you get. There are alsonice beaches also in Fiji and there you can have hot shower and electricity for way cheaper price.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Kim A, Guest Relations Manager at Lonnoc Beach Bungalows, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2017

As you seem to have written the same review twice & under 2 different entities - I will be requesting this one be removed from the page as it is quite defamatory and a lot of untruths.. but without getting too angry, I would rather not comment too much again about the same things - but will also remind you that you have put these comments on the 'Lonnoc Bungalows' review page and you actually stayed in the Bamboo bungalow which is a different business altogether (different family - same beach). While I take the bookings, yes, I do not own the businesses and so can only inform & advise of comments given. I had never expressed that a refund would be given, but that I would speak to the owner who declined of which you were informed. The kayaks also I have mentioned in the response I have previously written, that Daniel does not have his own kayaks and so a small fee is charged to use the other bungalow's kayaks..this too, is mentioned on the website! Yes the locals do pay very little for transport as they have no money - and most of the locals' that came with you that day were family. This is a third world country without most of the resources of places like Fiji.. it does state on the website that they have cold water only, solar lighting, and as I have already mentioned the water pressure is not great up there as it is gravity fed - the mains water & electricity lines stop about 40 klms before the bungalows... they are owned and run by the local people, who dont have much more than big smiles and friendly welcoming nature to offer. I am sorry you missed what an unique location you were in by focusing on what you perceived as negatives. I could go on , but wont as I have already elaborated in the previous response..

Reviewed 30 August 2017

A true relaxing holiday experience, bamboo bungalows are located right on the beach so that you sleep and wake up to the sound of ocean. Birds in the morning sing beautiful songs. Bungalows are nice and comfortable. Food in the restaurant is awesome with huge variety and also catering for gluten free, dairy free, vegetarian and vegan options. I think it is the only restaurant in Espiritu Santo that offers such huge variety. The staff is just so friendly, with big smiles and warmth in their hearts. The owners Louisa and Kalmer are truly genuine and hearty people. They made us a part of their already big fmaily. We mingled with tem, learned to make baskets, how to cook food under the earth. They looked after us so well that it was difficult to leave. There are lot of gorgeous Blue Holes near the place and not so far frm Port Olry - another beach. Abundance of local fruits - coconuts, papaya, Paplemus and many more. Beautiful gardens with flowering trees. Kalmer and Louisa are always willing to go an extra mile to make you comfortable. They organised our transportation from airport and also around the place. We cant wait to go back :)

Room Tip: Serene, authentic, catering for vegetarians, gluten free, dairy free and vegan and plenty of fish and meat choices
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple