See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 18 April 2018

I'm always on the go, the company I work with makes me travel throughout the country quite frequently. This is without a doubt and by far, the worst place I've visited up to date. First of all, the reservation process was a mess. I lost not one, but TWO days over lateness in the staff when it came to changing arrival dates (although we informed within the allotted 48 hours, they cashed in the 'no show' twice).

They didn't have a varied menu to eat breakfast (which I wanted to eat while I was waiting for the check-in), and I had to settle down for a plate of fruit. By dinner (and twice, for that matter), I wanted to eat at the hotel since I was really tired of running errands, but the restaurant staff told me, like it was no biggie, that they did not have any kind of dinner as they didn't have any kind of produce.

I asked if they had a way to contact a delivery service since I'm not from the city and they told me they couldn't help me with that. On the elevator, I had to ask a guest that told me that right in front of the hotel there's a pizzeria. Hotel staff should inform this if you're asking them for a place to eat, I think.

The room had a nice view, I stayed at 906 and albeit the balcony had an spectacular view towards The Avila mountain, that was the only highlight. The room seemed straight out of The Shinning. It was old fashioned and it had a thick carpet (more on that later on). The sensor to kick-start the air conditioning and power in the room was broken, so I had to go down to the lobby to make them check that out.

They send someone to check it up -with me- to tell me "Hey, it's been broken for a while, but you'll do with the A/C always on" and left the room, leaving me befuddled, to say the least.. Again: terribly wrong, as with those conditions they could've change rooms instead of leaving me with a sub-par and dangerous electric installation.

The bathroom was a really interesting thing: it had a leaking faucet, that kept dripping during my stay. Hot water? Forget about that, it was really a lukewarm mess. Albeit it was clean, it isn't really a nice bathroom. As far as cleanliness goes, it could've been better. I love walking barefoot in hotel rooms, and I did so for a bit in the room. When I looked at my feet, it was filthy. I checked the carpet, and it was really, really dirty. It isn't a good place to stay if you have children.

The cleaning staff was really nice (found them while rushing to do my checkout as I had the next part of my trip), and aided me while I was rushing (telling me to take the control and that).

I'll list up my main takeouts from my stay there:

- No Wi-fi, only on the lobby and from 6am to 10pm.
- No alternatives for breakfast, and sometimes they don't have dinner.
- Not friendly staff (no aiding guest when requested for help).
- Dirty room (filthy carpeting).
- GOOD view.
- CHEAP (you take what you pay for, though).

Room tip: -06 rooms have a nice view.
Date of stay: April 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 6 December 2015

The neighborhood is not safe and I don't recommend anybody to walk in the surroundings during the evening or night.

Staff is friendly but don't speak English or other languish than Spanish. Don't forget that there is little food in general, in Caracas, so the breakfast will be very, very simple.

Room tip: The neighborhood is not safe during late hours
Date of stay: November 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank Richards_remarks
Reviewed 29 May 2013

Like most travellers wary of Latin Amarican vagaries, I was very cautious about visiting Caracas, post Chavez and the rigged political campaign that put his party back in power. I was heartenend by the inspirational,athletic looking posters of their opposition leader on the way to and from the airport though! As I was on training with the British Council I went straight there and was advised that the safest hotel was right next door.

The Cumberland Hotel suited all my needs. Room 901 was spacious, comfortable and contained a luxurious circular bath which unfortunately I did not have the time to utilise. There was internet access as well as television coverage of international as well as local channels. Staff were friendly, if not fluent in English, but as I was keen on using Spanish it made for added value to my trip. The metro is walking distance and there were many fine restaurants nearby, including La Huerta, which serves the most delicious meats.

Food was typically Venezuelan with arepas, frijoles and carne manchada for breakfast, or you could go the usual route with traditional fruit, cereal nad toast. Arrangements to have a taxi back to the airport were easily made and all in all, I can say, that apart from the absence of toothpaste (I did take my own small tube) I wanted for nothing.

Room tip: Unlike the Alta Vista, there isn't much ambience, but 901 was very spacious.
Date of stay: May 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
3  Thank lengualynda
Reviewed 5 March 2013 via mobile

The only reason I booked this place as an American is because I heard Caracas is very dangerous and the hostals are not safe.

With that said, I did not get murdered, robbed, or kidnapped while I was here. There. That was the positive.

Here's the negative. ( Deep breath )...I stayed in room 802 where the WiFi is non existent. The hot water they claim is one for literally 60 seconds. Then it turns colder that an Antarctic winter.

The faucet dripped all night and was never fixed. The view from the balcony was decent and I did feel safe.

The bed I slept on was harder than Jerry Sandusky in a room full of boys.

I slept on the couch because it was softer.

The room was old, not updated and kinda smelled like a 1970's curtain that had never been dusted.

For $91 US Dollars a night you will never, and I mean NEVER see me return here.

The restaurant downstairs was ok, and the staff were very friendly.

BTW, I forgot. William is the only guy there that sparks English. He's awesome and was very helpful. Other than that, I stayed in a hostal for $5.82 in Ollantaytambo in Cuzco, Peru and had a better stay than this place.

You've officially been warned.

Jerry

Date of stay: March 2013
3  Thank JerryAscione
Reviewed 22 November 2012

i arrived early in the morning 19th nov 2012 and went to the front desk. i did not speak spanish but there was a member of staff who could speak enough english. he said check in would be 2:30pm and directed me to a nearby restaurant. at 2:30 pm exactly i was checked in. i had to deposit 50 BsF the local currency for the tv remote. on entering there was a kitchen with refrigerator, kitchen counter and sink, and a cooking stove. parallel with the kitchen was balcony with a table an a couple plastic chairs. the view is of the city's buildings and the distant avila national park. then the next section was a den with a sofa and some chairs. after the den was the bedroom with television and wide closet space, and ample lighting. there was a touch tone telephone with a list of numbers for services and the reception desk. next to the bedroom is the toilet and bath. it was clean to use but i did not get warm water. next to the hotel is boulevard de simon bolivar a nice shopping area. i did not recognize the breakfast dish served at the hotel so i only ate milk and kelloggs cereal. i checked out of the hotel early on the 21 nov 2012 and one of the staff whistled a taxi for me. i paid 280 BsF to the taxi and was off to the international airport.

Room tip: i stayed at 1302 on the thirteenth floor but i could still here the traffic and people talking loudly.
Date of stay: November 2012