All reviews beqa lagoon dive staff beachfront bure shark dive filo plunge pool non divers lunch and dinner dive shop koi pond fish bull sharks night dive unlimited shore diving fire walkers small boat dive group
Reviewed 4 September 2012

We visited in the August 2011. I wanted to let some time pass because the experience of staying here was such a overwhelming disappointment that I wanted perspective. I think the problem is the resort advertises and promises an experience they certainly can't deliver. Our group did not dive so I will only be reviewing the resort.

As the other reviews have stated, it is a 2.5 hr drive from Nadi airport to the boat transfer to cross the lagoon to the island(45 mins) then a short wade to shore. The island is tranquil and lush. We stayed in the 4-plex, 2 bedroom unit furtherest from the pool. The accommodations were basic and not as clean as I would've liked. It is an island/jungle and bugs are to be expected both outside and inside the unit. Mid stay the shower ceiling from the above unit started leaking water. The management on duty had housecleaning come clean up the mess but offered nothing in return. It was as if we were a captive audience and that's island life (SOL). We were extremely unhappy with our treatment but our only recourse was to either leave the island or stay, there was no chance of changing bures since the resort was full.

Dining was at set times and if you're not with a large dive group you are not priority with staff. The guests in the dive group were so very nice, friendly and added to the fun each evening. However, if you're on a romantic honeymoon I can see this being quite not so lovely dining experience each night. As for the food that was served, terrible! I have never lost weight whilest on vacation unless I had food poisoning, which luckily I didn't here, but I lost 10 lbs. staying here. The food was either too sweet, bland, or masked in some sauce. About the only meal that was edible was breakfast as it was just simple fruit and eggs offered (pancakes and french toast was offered also but I did not order it). As the other reviewers have stated service takes an awfully LONG time since it is paced for the ENTIRE dining room not just for your table. So each course comes out when the ENTIRE dining room has been served and cleared. Service from the villagers/employees was a miss/hit on some nights. All at our table were unsure what the mood of our server was to be at each meal sitting. It made for a bit of comic looking back on it but at the time was just annoying. Drinks at the bar were good and strong, it's probably the only positive I have to say.

The grounds are somewhat well cared for. There were places on site that clearly needed repairs, the main pool was cloudy and unheated. Pool towels were not abundant and staff were annoyed if asked for any service poolside. The beach in front of the resort was clean, no garbage or debris. However, it is not sugar sand. Some areas are not well lit so be prepared at night and bring a small flashlight less you trip and fall. Definitely bring sunscreen and ultra powerful bug spray!

As the other reviewers have said, afternoon activities were village visits, cultural demonstrations, etc. all added to a wonderful experience. But sometimes you would get the feeling the Fijians it was a love/hate relationship with the tourist. That being said, these acitivites added tremendous value to an otherwise terrible resort experience.

I commend the onsite management team with doing the best with what they are given, understanding there are limitations to what is available on island. My main complaint is the company that owns/runs this resort from the USA and its false advertisement (pictures, promises, etc). It sets the visitor up for disappointment because the expectation is so great and it was clearly NOT delivered. Would I ever visit this resort again? No, I would not and certainly I have told my friends and family to look elsewhere.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
7  Thank travelintheroadgirl
Reviewed 5 August 2012

This was my first trip to Beqa Lagoon and it more than exceeded my expectations. The management staff, led by Karen Taylor, were both professional and friendly. This is sometimes a difficult combination. The food was expertly prepared and served with both grace and dignity. The diving was beyond words. This is a trip I would gladly do again.
Thank you for the experience.

Room Tip: Bures on the ocean side provide an excellent view. Bures in the middle of the property provide a greater degree of privacy
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Edward J
Reviewed 3 August 2012

The Fijians are so friendly and sincere. They treat guests like honored family members. The food is consistently delicious with good choices each day. The spa rooms open to the ocean. The diving wasn't as spectacular as I'd remembered from 10 years ago, but the shark dives were great. Also, it was cooler than our dive group expected, both below and above water. Weather reports mostly show temps for Nadi which is much drier than Beqa. Of course, this is why Beqa is much lusher. Hikes were muddy, steep, and wonderful. However, there isn't tons to do on the island/resort if you aren't a diver.

Room Tip: The beachfront bures have their own private spas, but these were not heated so no one in our group ever used them. I think the garden bures are the best. They sit amidst a large koi pond and have gorgeous carved wooden doors, marble floors, and elegance.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank S W
Reviewed 23 July 2012

Beautiful location, great food, and superb care and service. A true retreat. This is not a hotel experience, but a home away from home. The spa is wonderful, and dive masters are too. The grace of the staff, and manager Karen Taylor is impressive. They are warm and sincere, and wanted to make our stay the best. It was.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Elizabeth G
Reviewed 12 June 2012

We stayed for 6 days/5 nights in May and did 4 days of diving (2 tanks each day).

Transfer:

Our package included return transfer from Nadi airport (by road), and return boat transfer from Pacific Harbour to the island. The driver for our return trip to Nadi was late by 30 minutes. However, overall good safe transfer.

Accommodation:

Our bure was very spacious (inside & out) and had all necessary amenities. I think this is the case with all bures anyway. The only thing is the A/C was old and was quite noisy, and makes even louder noises when it was periodically turning itself on/off.

Food:
Meals are included in package. The food was generally delicious, except for one night. I’ve broken it down as follows

Breakfast
Basic fruits & cereals. Hot food such as omelette and pancakes can be provided on request.

Lunch
Options between a meat, fish, or vegetarian dish. Quite high quality

Dinner
3 course. Entrée is usually a soup. Main is option between a meat, fish, or vegetarian dish. Dessert is choice of dessert of the day or ice-cream. Again quite high quality

Diving
No complaints what so ever about the diving operation and crew. Fun, safe, efficient, and service is 1st class and way better than 1st world countries. Everything is taken care of for you from start to finish, all you have to do is literally strap the dive gear on and jump in the water. Every morning the crew would assemble everyone’s gear on the boat, and they would switch tanks and reassemble the gear between dives, and then after the day’s diving, they would take all gears from the boat back onto the island for rinsing/ refilling tanks etc.

Dive masters such as Net were very professional and competent. He would show the best places within a particular dive site, and keep an eye on the whole group and ensure that everyone is safe and happy.

Other activities
Shore Dives (Scuba), Kayaking, snorkelling as well as daily cultural entertainment is free.

Its hard to single out everyone because service from ALL the staff is first class excellence, everyone is smiling and happy, and have good sense of humour. They baked a cake for my girlfriend’s birthday, and they all got together and sung ‘happy birthday’ in Fijian and English. Very good singers!

Things to improve
A/C in room is old and needs to be replaced. Breakfast should have more variety.

These are issues that need to be solved by the owners. From what I understand, the staff should be given much better salary/ pay, especially considering how much the resort’s owner get from tourists.

Rating
8.5 out of 10. I would come back, and would recommend friends to come, but management needs to address fix the issues raised above.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple