All reviewsbeqa lagoondive staffbeachfront burefiloshark diveplunge poolnon diverslunch and dinnerdive shopkoi pondfishbull sharksnight diveunlimited shore divingfire walkerssmall boatdive group
Reviewed 21 February 2012

This location had been recommended to me by my local dive shop, so I looked online for reviews. I am very happy to say that the poor reviews that I had read are absolutely false. I went with 2 others that would also agree. The rooms are spacious and clean. Each night our beds were turned down and a candle lit. Of course there are a few bugs, you're in a jungle. We were there in the rainy season, which we already knew, and yes it rained everyday--but that didn't ruin our diving. It wasn't as clear as it could have been, but amazing just as well. I would definitely recommend the shark dive, it was a good way to end our trip. The Fijians that work at the resort are absolutely fabulous!! They seem to enjoy their jobs and are very gracious and accommodating. Every meal that I was served was delicious. I stayed with the fresh fish since I don't get it in the Midwest--but everything, including the vegetarian meals looked marvelous. The desserts were to die for!
The dive crew were very experienced and ran a great operation. We had a group of 13-15 and had 3 crew in the water with us. Everything ran very smoothly and they brought us to some really nice dive sites. All in all, this was one of my favorite dive trips and I can't wait to return! If you do not enjoy yourself, it's your own fault.
Vinaka to All!

Room Tip: All bures are in nice areas, but I would choose the oceanside bures.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
8  Thank DiverChic65
Reviewed 10 February 2012

We are a retail dive store in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada and for the second time (first time in February 2011), we brought a group of Manitobans to Beqa Lagoon Resort in Fiji. Similar to our first trip, the service, meals, accommodations and general satisfaction was beyond words. The Fijian people who work at the resort are the friendliest group I have ever had the pleasure of spending time with.

The downside is most definitely the out of the way location and the many hours/days of travelling through multiple airports in order to reach the resort. But this can't really be counted as a major negative. Spending a week living in an environment with no 6 lane highways, no vehicles and all the other stresses of everyday life requires additional effort to reach.

The dive staff took care of our group in their usual friendly, professional manner, catering to the beginner as well as the more experienced photographers / videographers. Everyone's dive gear was set up ready for the first dive each day, with nothing left behind. The staff always went out of their way to check that everyone's equipment was on board prior to leaving for a dive site.

I have read some earlier reviews where the author had complained about the quality of the food at the resort. In my estimation, this person needs to see a food psychiatrist. In my 32 years of running an exotic travel program, taking divers to countless far off lands, I have never witnessed such high quality fare served up on a dinner plate for a bunch of scuba divers. How the kitchen cooks manage to maintain such extremely high standards from one meal to the next is beyond my comprehension.

One of our group members celebrated his 21st birthday on the Saturday of our departure. Having been previously notified of the event, the Fijian Warriors and the kitchen staff arranged a very special dance with accompanying birthday cake for his coming of age birthday, which I strongly doubt, he will ever forget. Thanks Mark for taking care of that!!

Similar to most destinations, the reefs of Beqa Lagoon have most definitely taken a serious hit in the coral devastation department, with lots of visible rubble below every coral head. But in the shallow areas, the pristine beauty of Fiji is still to be found, especially the soft corals growing on the wrecks. The video footage I brought back from this trip was far superior to the results on our last visit and not all for the reason of being on different dive sites. So there is still hope that the universal coral devastation from temperature rise in 1998 might not cause a drastic, lasting effect. Time will tell. But the corals will have to evolve to deal with the higher nutrient levels and water temperatures of todays world. I don't think I'll still be of this earth by the time that comes full circle.

All in all, our divers had a wonderful time at Beqa Lagoon Resort and we will be back some time down the road.

Ian
3 Fathoms Scuba

Room Tip: Definitely the oceanfront rooms, #1 to #12
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank Ian S
Reviewed 9 February 2012

This was an amazing place to travel to. Both of us are divers and went on a dive vacation. Not much for nondivers to do at this location as it is on a small island and difficult to get to. But once you are there it is so worth it. The people, the environment, the diving, the food, the accomodations are all fantastic.
We went during rainy season so it was wet and the visability of the the water was not ideal for warm water diving. However, we knew this when we booked the trip and got to see many sea creatures we would not have if we went another time of the year.
This is definitley a place to go if you are critter hunting on land or in the ocean.
Keep in mind that this is a poor country and you are going to a small island in the middle of the jungle. This is not a posh five star hotel trip with limos and marble tiled floor. So expect some bugs and some humidty and some mud (if you are there in the wet season:). Considering they have to boat everything to the resort and they run the resort off two generators they do an awsome job at keeping guests comfortable and full.
The people are amazing and the hotel is staffed with locals from the village. Take time to speak with them and your experience will be that much richer. They are proud of their island (and it is their island) and their culture. They are more than happy to show you what it is like to live on Beqa if you want to know.
The reef and jungle of Beqa is so healthy. We saw sharks almost every dive which is amazing. Top predators=healthy reef. It is wonderful that you can dive almost pristine waters and then go back to a comfy room and warm, home cooked meals. We were vegetarian and had no problems on Beqa so anyone with different diets could go. Just email the resort directly and let them know before you go what your needs are.
The dives are the best from the boat and the boat rides are around an hour but worth the trip. Enjoy all the wildlife around you when you are above and below the water. And thank the people who make it all happen. They really were wonderful to us and we learned so much about Fiji and its environement from them.
If you can do the shark dive do it! I was uneasy with idea of feeding sharks so that tourists could see them but the sharks and environment are treated with respect and it brings in money for conservation of the area. It also is an amzing experience to see the sharks and the other big predators of the reef that would otherwise be in blue water (open ocean) and not near the reef for divers to see.
Bula Fiji!

Room Tip: Ask for a private bure (holds two people) and the ocean front ones. These rooms have the low numbers 1-12.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank phielan
Reviewed 8 February 2012

After reading two very harsh reviews posted about the resort in December, I was filled with trepidation about the stay I had booked for late January. Now that I've returned home, I have to question whether those reviewers even stayed at the same resort.

The transfer from Nadi Airport to the resort is long (approx 3 hours) and tiring, especially in humid weather, but you forget that the minute you set foot on the island where you're greeted by smiling faces, a song and a cool refreshing drink. The isolated location and the limited number of guests motivated me to choose this particular resort in the first place.

All of the staff (resort staff and dive crew), and even some of the local villagers, knew your name from day one and were very welcoming, helpful and attentive. Staff went out of their way to ensure that you were always entertained and there were a variety of well planned activities and excursions available in the afternoons regardless of the weather. I certainly didn't receive the same welcome or personalized attention at the rather soulless airport hotel I subsequently transferred to.

Re the afternoon activities - there is an optional (free) excursion to the local school and any donations of stationery items or medical supplies are welcomed. Everyday items that are readily available to us - such as 26/6 staples and batteries - are in very short supply on the island. If you email the resort prior to your trip, they will be able to let you know which items the school needs at that point in time. There is no obligation whatsoever to make any sort of donation. The children will sing and perform for you but, be warned, will expect a song from an individual, or your group as a whole, in return.

Mark and Sue, the management team, are very knowledgeable and informative and make a point of being available to the guests. I had no issues during my stay but felt confident that, should a problem have arisen, they would have gone out of their way to help me.

The food was spectacular ! So much so that people were taking photos of their meals before eating them. I ate more fish during my 9 day stay than I would usually eat in a six month period. The meat, poultry and vegetarian meals were just as delicious making it very difficult to choose what to eat each day. The desserts were sinfully sweet and rich. My only disappointment was that there were never seconds ! Dining is a very social affair with communal tables. Dive groups will be assigned their own tables while individuals and couples will be seated together, usually with Mark and Sue, at one table.

My deluxe bure was beautiful ! The furniture might not be to everyone's liking but it was very comfortable, spacious, clean, private and had looked out on the koi ponds. I never felt unsafe and didn't bother to lock the door at all during my stay. The bures are air conditioned, have tea/coffee making facilities, a bar fridge, a safe and a daily laundry service is available for a small fee per item. I only saw the one cockroach but that's the tropics for you ! There were no rats but plenty of mongoose running across the lawns and lots of other wildlife such as birds, frogs, hermit crabs as well as a very friendly village cat. The resort grounds were very lush, tropical and well maintained. It was hard to resist the lure of the beachfront hammocks on a warm afternoon.

Definitely book in for a 'Signature Massage' (FIJI $150) during your stay but don't leave it to the last day. My massage was so good that I had to have two more the very next day. The individual spa bures are gorgeous - very atmospheric and private.

The dive masters and dive crews were fantastic. Very friendly (yet professional), approachable and very knowledgeable. The dives were run efficiently and to schedule. Dive gear was always on the boat ready and waiting for us. The safety briefings were thorough and any questions were answered on the spot. We had a mixed group of divers in terms of individual skill and experience and the dive masters tailored the dive to suit all of the divers and ensured that each diver got the most out of the experience. In terms of photography, the dive masters went out of their way to point out all sorts of weird and wonderful creatures at each site. You won't visit the same site twice unless prevailing weather conditions dictate it. On a couple of occasions, we were caught in strong currents, driving rain and water so choppy that it was difficult to get on or off the boat but the dive masters and crew were always there with a helping hand which was very reassuring and much needed.

Don't leave without doing the shark dive - it's well worth the money (FIJI $250 2 Tank). You do need to wear a full length suit for the shark dive as it gets a little chilly but the resort will lend you one should you need it. If you have 'yum yum yellow' fins or a yellow BCD, they will also loan you black gear for the dive. Something small, like a yellow edged mask, is fine.

While the resort has a wide selection of dive gear for hire, I'd recommend taking as much of your own gear as possible; especially your own BCD and wet suit if you're petite or larger than average. I took a 2-3 mm full length suit which was perfect given the inclement weather and stingers. Anything over 3 mm and you'll be too hot. Some of our group wore short suits over sting suits.

I would also recommend taking a heavy duty insect repellent, sunscreen and a torch for the night dive (FIJI $100 1 Tank) and for walking around the resort at night (the grounds lighting switches off around 10 pm).

WiFi is available for a one off charge of FIJI $35 but, be warned, it runs on 'island time'. You can pass the time with a cold beer (FIJI $6) or the daily happy hour cocktail (FIJI $12).

On your last day, you will be transferred off the island on an 8 am boat and then driven to a day room at an airport hotel in Nadi (usually the Tanoa). The day room costs FIJI $65 and gives you a convenient base from which to spend the day exploring Nadi and to freshen up before catching the free shuttle bus to the airport.

When I booked my trip, I did question the amount of money I was spending to stay at the resort but, having now been there, I am more than satisfied that I received full value for money and I would happily stay there again in the future.

Room Tip: Each of the beachfront bures has a plunge pool overlooking the water. You will need to check availbility of these bures with the resort before booking. The deluxe bures are larger and more well appointed but, with the exception of the koi pond, don't offer a water view.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
9  Thank ClarefromAus
Reviewed 1 February 2012

This was our 5th time to Fiji and we have stayed on different islands. This was our 2nd time to Beqa (tho at a different resort). In general all of the places that we stayed at in Fiji have their own charm, personalities and bonuses. The charm of BLR is the private setting that the waterfront bures have. The plunge pool will leave you spoiled hands down. The pool is hard to beat as well- one of our favorites. The food here is wonderful- as a vegeterian, it was an endless assortment of variety- many people will become vegetarians here! Vinaka BLR!
The bures have ac which we used at night. It can get quite calm and humid in Jan. at night. Do consider the seasons when traveling to Fiji. We have always gone in Jan., but this time was the rain of all rains. Our first week was spent here and it was mostly rain- while heading to our 2nd location, roads to Nadi were flooded out and we had to detour. Shops were flooded and villagers perished. So, take this into account- many resorts simply close this time of year.
I was very sick while here so I was only able to do 2 of our 5 days of scheduled diving. The diving is good but both times here the reefs show stress. We were disappointed that reef ettiquette was not practiced (our only complaint). It may be a combination of too many divers, overfishing and storms. There is quite a bit of rubble. Perhaps Beqa island should limit activity on these sites.
Overall we enjoyed this resort, we would return (perhaps another time of year)and hopefully do more exploring than my illness allowed. They really have a great staff here-
I will be doing a review on Nukubati as well. Feel free to contact me for more info , tips etc.

Room Tip: if you like being near the water, then opt for an oceanfront.. We looked at the garden bures while there- they are in a unique setting as well (nestled in waterlilly ponds) so it just depends on what you prefer.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple