New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Lion Hotel

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Builth Wells
Lion Hotel
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Builth Wells
oneinamillion12
“Shame it has great potential.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2011

When we arrived we had to find a member of staff, walked into the bar and were stared at by the locals, the room was very basic and small, stains (which I hope was make up!) on the bed sheets and hairs in the shower plug hole, bed was really uncomfortable, no double glazing on the front of the building which faces a busy road (I could understand if this was due to planning laws and it being a listed building but that could have been explained) the room was really hot and there was no way of opening the window, when we went to have a drink at the bar the beer and cider tasted awful I don’t think it had been drunk since the Royal Welsh about a month before we arrived, we were then treated to a blow by blow account of the part owners night out and who hates who in the town, breakfast was ok but nothing special. Would never stay again and would never recommend it! Shame it has great potential.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
      Rooms
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank oneinamillion12

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2011

This hotel was recommended to us and we were delighted that it was, as we found it extremely friendly, and were given a great welcome by ALL, the from staff, owners and other regular customers..a big Thank you to you all...I in turn would not hesitate to recommend this very clean, comfortable hotel to any one visiting Builith Wells for the Antique Fairs or other shows in the showground, or just passing- through.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank cherrytree123
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2011

This is the first time I have put a review on Tripadvisor,although I travel extensively in the UK ,Europe and America.If I experience a problem at a a hotel which I have booked I deal with there and then.I always use Tripadvisor as a review tool and I cannot
understand why if there is 20 good reviews for a hotel and one bad review,I allways believe the bad review,that is why in thic case I feel I had to write.My wife and I had to visit Builth Wells in central Wales and as this a small town there is small choice of accommodation,most of the hotels in the area were booked for weddings or for a show at the local show ground.When we booked two months ago,and managed to get a weekend booking we were over the moon as we have tried to do this trip for many years but never have had any luck getting a booking within a 15 mile radius of the town.I did my homework with Tripadvisor and was happy with my choice of hotel The Lion,so youcan imagine my horror when I checked one day before leaving to find two recent very bad reviews .It was to late to get booked into other accommodation as every thing else was full and also as my next door neiighbour was burgled the night before so we went with a very heavy heart to Wales When we arrived ,we had to look around for a member of staff and although I phoned the day before to confirm, there was no booking for us.A couple (from Liverpool) came in after us and there was no booking for them either and they had booked weeks before, but the problem was quickly solved and rooms were found.We were very pleasantly surprised, the room was spacious and bright and spotlessly clean The bathroom was the same and the shower was very,very powerful and considering the building is 18th century that is quite an achievement.The towels were large,new,plentiful and fluffy THIS HOTEL HAS GOOD FOOD, IS GREAT VALUE AND JUST GREAT

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank gary t
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2011

We stayed at the lion with friends and family, The room was fantastic very clean the bed was lovely. The food was very good and home made and nothing was to much trouble. The staff were very helpful and friendly and made us feel very welcome.
we all will definately stay there again.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
Powys
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2011

Family run, good food, extremely clean bathrooms (a pet hate of mine is dirty bathrooms), friendly bar atmosphere, we return here as we enjoy the food, there is a local bar where there is always a local character telling a story or two, fab location and most of all the food is home made, lovely lasagne, beef strogonoff and proper home made chips. The Pattersons who runthe hotel always welcome us back and are very helpful. We will be back.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
13.5 km away
Llangoed Hall
Llangoed Hall
#1 of 1 in Llyswen

Been to Lion Hotel? Share your experiences!