“Coeliac friendly!”
Review of Scotts of Alnmouth

Scotts of Alnmouth
Ranked #8 of 14 Restaurants in Alnmouth
Description: Artisan bread,cheese,charcuterie, patisserie,salad,pies and quiches. Fantastic coffee.Great dietary options V,Vgn,Gf. Breakie,lunch, evening feasts Winter hours, cafe closes 3pm shop 4pm - We will be closed until Jan 28th 2019.
Reviewed 30 May 2018 via mobile

A second visit to Scott’s and they have added more gluten free options to their menu. As a recently diagnosed Coeliac eating out can prove stressful, disappointing and often result in feeling ill for a couple of weeks in my experience. This is not the case at Scott’s, the staff were friendly and couldn’t be more helpful. I enjoyed a GF toastie with lovely fresh salad whilst the rest of the family devoured sausage rolls, the greatest they declared. For once I wasn’t envious. I also recommend the smoked salmon platter. The staff do justice to locally roasted Pilgrims Coffee and I will look forward to my next visit. Thank you.

Date of visit: May 2018
scottsofalnmouth, Owner at Scotts of Alnmouth, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2018

Thank you, I remember your visit. So glad you enjoyed it. If there are any products you think we should stock please don't hesitate to recommend them.

Reviewed 29 May 2018

Our experience of elevenses at Scotts unfortunately fell well below that of the other reviewers who rate it so highly.
The chap who appears to run the place had an air of unwarranted superiority and seemed to enjoy making me feel uncomfortable.
We took seats outside with our pooch and ordered 2 coffees, and a scone and a pie. After a while one coffee arrived and was followed by another some time later. Time passed and I went in to fetch some sugar. It was the same chap, and he had forgotten it, but his smirk and comments suggested that he regarded himself as having the upper-hand in some sort of undeclared contest.
As we sipped the dregs of our coffee there was still no sign of the food and we wondered if we had been forgotten about. Just as we were about to give up the waitress arrived with two plates, but the wrong order. She found it almost inconceivable to accept that it wasn't correct. After having to twice decline what she was offering, she then adopted such an exaggeratedly apologetic tone that it was anything but. She eventually arrived back with the correct order and breezily informed me that she had checked and (amazingly) my recollection had not been at fault.
The food was dry and unappetising and we each only ate a couple of mouthfuls. Our dog, who is notoriously undiscriminating, wolfed it down so it wasn't wasted, but at £12.45 it was a pricey doggy treat.
Did I complain? No, because I didn't want my morning further spoilt by the snooty staff We just won't go there again.

7  Thank franandpaul

Thank you for your earlier review, it having now been deleted, and changing your rating from 1 to 2 out of 5. We are sincerely sorry you did not get the experience you had wanted. A small mistake at the till confusing your order resulted in the wrong product being delivered to you for which we apologise. We rectified this immediately checking at the same time you hadn't been over charged. It was a particularly busy day for us in the amazing Alnmouth sunshine. My wife was taken aback at how cross you were, she wasn't being insincere, she was simply upset you hadn't been served well. As a result of your feedback we will put sugar on our outside tables. Glad the dog ate well.

Reviewed 29 May 2018

I visit Scott's about three or four times a week for coffee and often a light bite to eat. It's light and open, and if you engage with the staff they are often chatty and pleased to chat you. The customers are actually pretty happy and friendly too.

I like that I can get a good quality coffee and modern menu here (with good wi-fi) deep in Northumberland. Sure it's a bit more expensive than other places, but if I fancy a cheap and cheerful there are plenty of other places around that cater to exactly that kind of thing too.

I feel like Scott's is a step up in terms of quality compared to other places locally, and the owner is genuinely interested in innovative but sensable food and drinks.

It's a little sad I can't bring in my dogo, but there are seats outside where I can sit with her in the sun. If you absolutely must sit with your dog, the village tea rooms across the road is dog-friendly.

Overall, Scotts has been one of the best finds since I moved to the area, from London.

Reviewed 19 May 2018 via mobile

Menu included a cocktail on arrival, meal: Skagenrora, prawns in a dill, lemon, horseradish, Dijon mayo on delimade rye bread with rocket and seaweed pearls. Meatballs and cream mash with berry sauce and a strawberry tart with pattisierie cream. Wine and water flowing, friendly ambience, great service = a top drawer night! Rebooked for 'French Night'.

2  Thank Alison315984
scottsofalnmouth, Owner at Scotts of Alnmouth, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2018

tack så mycket, thats so lovely. We have been doing some Raymond Blanc research for the French evening whilst celebrating Alysons birthday, and have come back with some great ideas.

Reviewed 19 May 2018

The deli occasionally opens for an early evening themed menu. Last night it was a Swedish theme and the quality was ‘utestående’. Four courses, each very carefully prepared and plated, with very fresh, beautifully blended ingredients. The portion sizes were just right with each course laying a path to the next - fish, seafood, a meat-based main with a fish-based alternative, a seasonal dessert. There was a Swedish version of a French 75 cocktail available too. All of this was already enough for a memorable meal of real quality. The added personal bonus was that my dietary issues were extremely well catered for - advance discussion and attention during the meal. This is an establishment which deserves to thrive and surely will.

Date of visit: May 2018

Thankyou Philip, thats so lovely. I will pass your kind review on to the team.