“15th Anniversary meal”

The Wheatsheaf Inn Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
The Wheatsheaf Inn Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 9 Restaurants in Northleach
Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Seen some fussy recent reviews, went in with an open mind, for an anniversary meal while holidaying locally.
The mains were great (sea bream, lamb and kids both had pasta from the children’s menu), the staff were all very friendly, respectful and attentive, and in terms of wine selection (including a complimentary glass of Nyetimber English sparkling), absolutely excellent. Our desserts were lovely, each having a different one. I tried a bit of everyone’s and they were all great. Thank you!

Reviewed 4 April 2018

It took them twenty minutes to notice they had sold out of the thing we ordered and ask us to make another choice. When they finally brought our second choice, an hour after we entered the restaurant, it had obvious substitutions from what was on the menu and was a pretty amateur dish. The waitress had an awful attitude. What's more, we had a similar experience the other time we tried this restaurant about six months ago. We gave it a second try, but we won't give it a third.

3  Thank Eric A
Reviewed 30 March 2018 via mobile

We sat at a table for 2 people and ordered 2 small wines.
The set up in the dining area is very poor, they have crammed many tables into a small area.
Our table was in a row of 5 with a gap of about 30cms between them.
The glasses were bought to the table and the wine poured. My glass was a large glass, while my family members glass was small. When i asked about it, i was told no its a small wine in a large glass.
We asked for the specials menu, eventually someone came and read of their pad a set menu, no choice, so we declined and ordered from the main menu.
The meal of flat iron steak, chips, rocket and half a very small tomato was not very inspiring.
During the meal, people were arriving and the small table next to us was taken, as the person tried to squeeze through the gap, they knocked over my large glass of a small wine. This went all over the table and my family member and their dinner.
The person was very apologetic, but not one member of staff came to our assistance.
Eventually i asked a passing waitress for assistance and she bought 2 tea towels, put them on the table and walked away.

We mopped as best we could and asked for the bill.

The bill came and when we paid it we informed the barman that we were not paying for the glass of wine and explained what had happened, to which he replied, thats not my fault the tables are like that and we also told him we would not be paying the gratuity that had been put on the bill, due to the bad service we had received.
Gave him the money and he just shrugged his shoulders and walked off to the till.
No apology nothing.
Will definitely not be going there again.

4  Thank amanda L
Reviewed 30 March 2018

Today I had lunch there with my sister. We ordered a steak along with a small glass of Pinot .The wine glasses on the table were different sizes and as there was no measurement the waiter/ barman/ manager guessed, so couldn't really say that measures were right as the larger glass was fuller than the small one !! And at £6.00 for a small glass I definitely want the full measure.
The tables are so close together you could not help but hear the conversation to both left and right and you certainly wouldn't want a private conversation. They are so close it is impossible to walk through the gap unless you go crab style (sideways) even then when the lady squeezed through to sit down her bottom slid along on our table, however that was minor compared to when a gentleman came through to sit to our left......his bottom knocked over the £6.00 glass of Pinot which spilt over, not only my clothes, but my dinner so the fries etc were inedible. He was most apologetic and offered to buy another wine but it was not his fault . The staff didn't offer to help at all, we had to ask for cloths to mop up, all the waitress said was yes the tables are too close ..and the waiter/barman/manager ignored it all. At this point we decided to get the bill and leave ......both glasses of wine were on there and to add insult there was 11% gratuity added!! ....When we pointed out that we would not pay for the knocked over wine the manager's comment was .'It's not my fault it got knocked over' .... Needless to say we never paid the gratuity either. Definitely won't be returning anytime soon.

3  Thank Betsy W
Reviewed 28 March 2018

I've been here a few times and although really enjoyed the first visit, it went downhill from there. Management is dire, the service is poor ( but the staff are very friendly, I think they are just over worked and under trained), the food is nice, sometimes really great other times quite disappointing, but massively over priced. I think they are trying to live off their previous reputation without building on it, and I'm afraid its not worth it. A rather disappointing place, where the management seem to forget that their staff are the ones who bring them success, and if they continue to treat them as badly as they do now, they wont even have them to fall back on. A real disappointment and I wont give them any more benefit of the doubt.

3  Thank Flinky478