“thoroughly enjoyable”

Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 20 February 2017

We decided on the Rose and Crown for Sunday lunch on the off chance - neither of had been there before so we weren't entirely sure what we were going to expect when we got there...

The interior is traditional pub with a good selection of real ales and a fire place - it was busy in both the bar area and the restaurant areas and it was nice to see there were 4 dogs in the bar (very well behaved) as many don't allow dogs inside.

There was a choice of starters and several main courses including roast dinners.

There were the usual soup, tempura prawns but I had an amazing pheasant pate with a homemade cumberland sauce - it came with a warm bread and was lovely.

It was a shame to see the ubiquitous homemade burger on menu - they are becoming boring and I think (hope) they are to the end of their time - but I came out specifically for a roast so I knew exactly what I wanted... and I have to admit it was wonderful. I hate well done beef with a passion, so I was so happy to have a large portion of pink roast beef, lashings of thick meaty gravy, (so thin stingy drizzle here) roast parsnips & potatoes, carrots broccoli & cauliflower cheese - oh & don't forget the yorkshire - I struggled to finish it, in fact my son had the yorkshire pud because I couldn't physically finish it. although how he managed it when he had just finished his huge burger or in this instance pulled pork bap and fries.

My partner had the beef stroganoff - which came with mashed potatoes and veg and finished with sticky toffee pud and custard.

All in all it was a delicious meal. Food and drinks, (3 starters, 3 mains and two desserts) came to just shy of £75 - so well priced too.

What stopped it being 5*s - paper slips on the tables, and it would have been nice to not to see tempura prawns and burgers on the menu - they are too commonplace..

Great food, great service - well recommended and we hope to be back!

Reviewed 12 February 2017 via mobile

Best Sunday dinner around this area by a country mile. Absolute top quality food and friendly. Will be a regular from now on

Reviewed 8 February 2017 via mobile

Our first visit here was on a cold winters night pub nice and warm as was the welcome from the young barmaid, landlord and landlady, there was group of locals at the bar enjoying the well kept beer and jovial conversation which made it feel like a real pub, we asked if we could eat and the landlady gave us some menus told us what specials were available, food came up in a very reasonable time, two of us had Calves liver and bacon which was delicious my daughter had vegetarian pasta I didn't really have room but managed to eat a sticky toffee pudding which I would recommend
Will definitely go back next time I am in the area.

Reviewed 20 January 2017 via mobile

Been here a few times over the last 2 years and always been met with a friendly welcome and fast service. Nice place for a quick drink and for a meal. Food is always good at a decent price and they always have a few good gluten free options.

Reviewed 6 December 2016

Especially the lamb - great atmosphere & wonderful hosts. The puddings were terrific, particularly tasty were the bread & butter pudding and treacle sponge! And excellent coffee. Faultless.