“First class lunch”

Hix Oyster & Fish House
Reserve with OpenTable
Hix Oyster & Fish House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #13 of 83 Restaurants in Lyme Regis
Price range: USD 56 - USD 84
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Hix Oyster & Fish House overlooks the harbour in Lyme Regis and boasts the most stunning panoramic views across the Jurassic coast - this is easily one of the most picturesque spots to enjoy fresh British fish seafood. The Fish House is an informal, light and airy dining room with simple white wooden tables and chairs. Here the focus is on sourcing and serving the best produce we can find and doing as little to it as possible so that you enjoy the real flavour of great British ingredients. HIX Oyster and Fish House supports sustainable fishing.
Reviewed 22 July 2017 via mobile

Dramatic views of a stormy sea on a very wet and windy July Friday lunchtime.
Warm and knowledgeable waiting staff, many locally sourced items on the menu as well as beers and spirits.
Jugs of water in Somerset cider brandy jugs a nice touch.
We had Excellent oysters, shellfish soup, turbot and John Dory .
Very enjoyable, we will visit again.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,979)

Reviewed 21 July 2017 via mobile

Beautiful, romantic scenic spot and the staff were great, but sadly we thought the food was really average, lacking in seasoning and flavour. I had the fisherman's spelt, which was lovely and fresh but really quite bland. My husband had the huss, which was rather dry and meagre in size. The chips were very good, as they should be, but on the whole, the food really needs to be stepped up.

1  Thank LondonColette
Reviewed 21 July 2017 via mobile

I really wanted to give this restaurant a good review. We haven't been back for about 18 months but sadly felt the same as last time, very over priced. There were 5 guys and one lady serving in quite a small restaurant and it wasn't efficient. Our 'snax' with drinks never arrived, we had to ask for more drinks and I was served a very warm rosé, which I returned, only to be given another one exactly the same. Our starters were good, prawn cocktail and whipped beans. Main course was monk fish curry for two of us, which was ok, my husband had turbot at £28 was small plus extra for potatoes and vegetables. We won't be going back as just don't think it is value for money.

Reviewed 20 July 2017

Booked a table for 6 (family group) a few weeks previously so I was looking forward to our visit. It's quite a steep climb up from the harbour area and the location is excellent. The dining area is quite small but light and airy - there are some tables outside as well. The staff were friendly enough although I did receive a bit of a lecture on arrival as they hadn't been able to contact me to confirm the (online) booking.
The menu isn't huge and the lady server was very knowledgeable about the dishes and made some good recommendations, advising which main courses did or didn't need a side dish for example.
We all enjoyed the starters - raw oysters, fried oysters, prawn cocktail and courgette salad, all were excellent.
The mains were OK although I found the flavour of the barbecued huss a bit overwhelmed by a rather unsubtle sauce. I wish I'd stuck to the simple pan-fried sole. My wife's monkfish curry sauce was also a bit harsh to my taste. A minor problem with my dessert was resolved quickly and to my satisfaction.
Overall, it was a memorable family occasion in a great location with food that was, with a couple of exceptions, really nice.

1  Thank RichieRock
Reviewed 19 July 2017

Lovely setting, perfect weather, some of the staff pretentious,others very nice. Service disappointing, we had to wait an hour and a quarter after ordering, which was way too long as we had two young children with us. The table was for booked for 3pm and food arrived at 4.45pm!!
When the food arrived we felt it was very average, didn't live up to expectation and food allergies were not well catered for as we were informed when we enquired.

5  Thank Ros B