“Great day out”
Review of Becky Falls

Becky Falls
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Manaton
More attraction details
Owner description: Please note we close annually from the end of the Devon October half-term to the beginning of the Devon February half-term. We re-open on 10th February 2018.
Reviewed 21 April 2018 via mobile

My boyfriend and I went on a Friday during term time so the park was very quiet. Greeted by a helpful employee upon entering the carpark. To pay entrance fees by card you are given a slip of paper to take to the cafe to exchange for stickers to show you've paid. Not a problem because you walk past there anyway. We really enjoyed the walk, did the Red trail (intermediate) with the Purple trail additional loop (hard). The purple trail was an extra push in the hot weather but lots of fun - definitely need good shoes and I wouldnt be too keen on it in wet weather as there's lots of rocky inclines. Beautiful scenery, wildflowers and animals. The petting zoo was great, we were the only people there so the goats were fussing over us . Enjoyed icecreams from the cafe (wide range of flavours, £2), I had elderflower sorbet which was incredible. Just when we were leaving we noticed signs to the reptile house which we nearly missed! I can see there's lots of activities for kids, would be a great place to take children who like a bit of adventure. Probably not great for prams and pushchairs. Animal feedings throughout the day, we watched the owls being fed at 4pm. Entrance fees: I think as students we paid £14 for the both of us.

1  Thank Amy M
"tree roots"
"flip flops"
in 10 reviews

Reviewed 20 April 2018 via mobile

The last time I went to Becky Falls my Dad carried me as he jumped from rock to rock, that was a few years ago now and it was great to take my family back!

Things have certainly developed.

We went with a group of friends with children ranging from 3 - 15yrs and everyone was entertained. We did the Blue Walk for the little ones and they loved it. My six year old twins loved collecting the stamps and pretty much ran the walk they were so keen.

We found a lovely picnic spot and there are several to choose from.

Again all ages enjoyed sitting by the waterfall and jumping from rock to rock and paddling where shallow.

We took part in the Animal Encounter and most of the children held a millipede and tarantula and stroked the rabbit and snake. The information on the animals kept them interested and they enjoyed the crafts and other animals in the room next to the encounter.

We took part in the Easter egg hunt and arrived early enough to feed the bunnies.

We spent the whole day there, which is great as it does cost to get in.

We will go back, the only thing that would encourage us further is a special price for locals as we’d probably go quite a lot then.

Reviewed 20 April 2018 via mobile

We were walking along the public footpath near the Falls and saw the cafe signposted so diverted in search of a cream tea. Cream teas were advertised but when we ordered we were told they were only available to visitors who had paid for entrance because of 'insurance issues'. We did not enquire what dangers the cafe held for us that required insurance cover but just left and continued our walk. Perhaps this policy accounted for the emptiness of the cafe.

1  Thank Lizzieflint
BeckyFalls, Owner at Becky Falls, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2018

Becky Falls is a privately owned, 50 acre, visitor attraction. There is a public footpath that goes across a small part of our land. The public footpath is clearly marked and from this there is no legitimate access to any of our facilities, activities or the waterfall. The cafe is not sign posted from the public footpath nor are any of the other activities etc we offer. You were seen leaving the footpath by members of our staff and asked to pay the entry fee if you wished to continue to use our facilities. When you advised you only wished to use the cafe the staff advised you that this could not be done without paying the entrance fee. It is not a roadside cafe, it is there as an additional amenity for our legitimate guests. When you asked them to justify this they made you aware of some of the costs we face as a business, one of these was the insurance costs we have to pay, this is of course not just for the cafe but the 50 acres of woodland and activities our customers have access to.

Reviewed 10 April 2018

We visited the beautiful Becky Falls and decided to try the Red Route. It was very challenging and definitely quite hard going in places but the falls were superb after all the rain over the Easter period. I certainly appreciated the nice lunch at the lovely little cafe afterwards! The petting area is great for the children as well. I took some great photographs of the falls and am glad that I visited them. I would definitely recommend to others.

2  Thank wendyhawkins40
See more reviews
Reviewed 9 April 2018 via mobile

Just to get the elephant out of the room we read a negative post on the Becky fall site and we chose to ignore it which shows you should take all posts with a pinch of salt!!!

The main criticism of their visit was cost value for money and Service. I want to say that this was not our experience it was definitely good value reasonably priced cafe (top tip you can take a picnic to save money and to enjoy the outdoors more) fantastic facilities cafe and seating areas inside and out

All the staff where friendly and helpful and kids are well catered for here with a petting zoo and a range of activities Paths are well kept and it is made clear the difficulty of the walks on the different routes

I am a local but never made it here before and wish I had as it’s a great walk beautiful scenery with a nice little cafe well recommended