All reviews middle of a housing estate the pub good size thatched building big car park resident dog restaurant menu four poster room was large family meal steak an extensive menu an evening meal old farm house piping hot function room warm welcome
Reviewed 6 October 2018 via mobile

Neighbor and myself decided to pop down to the local for a few drinks to relieve the weekly stress. Evening started very well with a warm welcome from a bar stewardess (think her name was Shanon) who served us our first drink and a few more to follow. Evening was going well until it hit 11pm...there was no last orders called and we were not told that the pub was closing at 11pm - this is a Friday evening. As my neighbor was going to get his round in we were told that the bar is now closed and the tills have been removed! This was done quite abruptly by a different bar stewardess with short blonde hair. I had made a slight comment to my neighbor that I thought this was rude and the bar stewardess piped up and decided to tell me that they do not call last orders in this pub and that she had been working since 7:30am and wanted to go home.

None the less...

I am all about supporting the local community however with an attitude like this I am quite disappointed the locals are not respected or at least given the chance to order one more drink before the bar closes.

My honest opinion- this pub needs a EHO check as the pub owners dog seems to wonder where it seems fit...this includes the kitchen area. And the owner needs to re-evaluate the staff etiquette to customers.

I have worked and managed pubs for 12+ years and I would have never dreamed about treating a paying customer in the way my neighbor and myself were treated this evening.

I can assure you that I will not be returning at all - no wonder places like the Weatherspoons in town are doing so well - not only the obvious better prices but definitely better customer satisfaction.

Date of stay: October 2018
Trip type: Travelled with friends
carlos2463, Owner at The Heathfield Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2018

Lies, lies and more lies, obviously you had too much too drink that's is why we didn't served you anymore drinks at 11.50 pm , not 11.00 pm as you are commenting, the only reason you wanted another drink was because you were chatting the barmaid, you thought it was going to be your lucky night, and if you want to support the local community perhaps you should come more often than twice a year.
GROW UP!!!!

Reviewed 22 September 2018

We recently stayed here for 2 nights as a base to visit an elderly relative. We booked the family room which was more than adequate for our requirements. The room was clean and spacious with a comfortable bed and sofas for relaxing in front of the TV. The restaurant had an extensive menu, the food being well prepared and plentiful. The breakfast consisted of juices, cereals and toast and a freshly cooked meal as required. We found our stay relaxing and were well looked after by Carlos and his staff. We also took the opportunity to visit Sidmouth, approximately 10 miles away. Would not hesitate to return to the Inn if we were in the area.

Date of stay: September 2018
Reviewed 9 September 2018 via mobile

Booked in here for two nights via work, Saturday and Sunday.
Due to traffic I arrived later at my destination than planned, had to go straight to work, I was due to finish at 3.30 so rang the hotel to advise I'd be checking in at 4 am. The phone was answered by a very rude man who said do you think we have a 24 hour reception I have to get up early and make breakfast. I told him that I had two nights booked and should be able to check in to use the room. He stated that he would not be getting up at 4am to check me in and slammed the phone down. How disgusting for a member of staff to be, there is alot of rail work around the area and our company would be using hotels, b and b's alot, however we won't be and will also never recommend this place to anyone! What a waste of money for not even being able to check in or use the hotel at all!

Date of stay: September 2018
Trip type: Travelled on business
carlos2463, Owner at The Heathfield Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2018

First of all you haven't been charged any money at all, you should have done your home work and check the place where you were staying or at least contact the hotel previous, not at 1.00 am tell us that you will be check in at 4.00 am or even later like you said and that was not acceptable.
You have booked with Booking.com, read the check in times.

Reviewed 8 August 2018 via mobile

A pleasant place to eat, drink and relax. Massive choice on the menu, and good value for money: steak nights on Tuesday and also 2 cheaper meals for £17. Meals are plentiful and tasty, and served quickly. We’ll eat here again.

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 16 July 2018

Aggressive and rude owners. Would never stay here.There was a mix up with our booking. Owners refused to honour the price in my confirmation email. When I agreed to pay the extra amount, just to sort the matter out and get settled into our rooms, the owner started pointing and shouting aggressively at me and my family, saying it was "my fault". We left without checking in.

Date of stay: July 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
carlos2463, Owner at The Heathfield Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2018

You have to admit that you booked the rooms wrongly, you booked two double rooms for single occupancy, obviously by being two persons in one of the rooms the rate had to go up.
I'm sure that you have checked with Booking.com by now and they have told you the same, so be honest and admit your mistake.