“A real throwback”

Oaklands Farm Shop & Cafe
Ranked #58 of 74 Restaurants in Honiton
Reviewed 27 February 2018

Stopped here for refreshments on a long trip down to Cornwall. How depressing. A miserable stone faced welcome from the woman serving. An order of two cheese and ham toasties a tea and a coffee came to over £15. Food adequate, tea adequate, coffee like dish water. Leaving this cold place felt like an escape, so relieved to get back on the busy road.

1  Thank redwing58

Reviewed 20 February 2018 via mobile

I rarely leave a review but felt I just had to about this cafe. We stopped on our way back from a lovely stay in Cornwall and thought we would support a local home run business rather than stop in the nearby Starbucks, and have a warm welcoming home cooked lunch (as was offered on the sign). We were oh so wrong!

My eldest boy of 5 felt a bit queasy when we arrived and was unfortunately sick behind the cafe in a drain (mostly water) and the visit went downhill from there. The looks the server/owner gave us could have turned us to stone! I mean seriously, we didn’t come there to vomit in her yard and we were so apologetic and I tried to clean it up as best as I could.

Everything was far too much trouble and while the food was passable (we had sandwiches which let’s face it, you can’t get too wrong) the server was so miserable bordering on rude, that it was such an unpleasant experience. There was no smile, no eye contact and it was as she’d rather be anywhere else than serving me lunch. Well, why bother at all???? There were many sniffs and pointed coughs that I’m not going to go through every infraction...

After we’d rushed through lunch I asked if there was a place to change my 2 year old (I’d even considered changing him outside on the concrete but it was February and 8 degrees and he said he was cold when I took his trousers off!) and she was so affronted as if I’d asked her to change him herself! Needless to say there wasn’t anywhere but the cold and dirty toilet floor.

It really isn’t difficult to be pleasant and if you’re in the hospitality industry, you’d think this might be a priority. I really didn’t have high expectations - just something easy and relaxed and welcoming for my family. We are not difficult customers and I felt so mortified and uncomfortable for wanting not much at all. Please, please don’t visit this place!!

2  Thank MrsCrowSmith
Reviewed 22 October 2017

The owner of this cafe must be the most bad tempered sour puss I have ever been served by. Everything was too much trouble - in fact she was so rude we went to the Monkton Court Hotel next door and got delightful service and an excellent lunch. It always puts me off when there is a big expanse of green covered with notices such as dogs only on leads. Why? What an unfriendly place!

2  Thank Claire P
Reviewed 10 October 2017

I take issue with other people telling us Do Not Go There !
You are damaging a business and there are too few cafes where it is possible to stop on a long journey for refreshments and a loo stop . We stopped here a week ago and no the lady did not indulge in small chat but she is obviously a very generous lady who does a lot for the local air ambulance .
We had a lovely cream tea served nicely . I asked if she minded if I took the small jam jar away with me for flower arranging ( for Harvest supper ) . She then went and washed off ten for me to take home . A lovely gesture . Thank you !

Reviewed 29 September 2017

Call here a couple of times of year for Breakfast. Food freshly cooked to order and very good if slightly expensive. Had no problem with Service, Owner very pleasant.