“Stop if you really need to!”

Oaklands Farm Shop & Cafe
Ranked #59 of 74 Restaurants in Honiton
Reviewed 22 August 2017

My husband & I stopped here on the way to a weekend away for our 1st anniversary. We had previously stopped here on a family holiday and although not a memorable experience we thought it would be a good place to stop again.

I have recently started a gluten free diet and was pleasantly surprised that they appeared to offer a really good selection. My husband decided on a standard fruit scone afternoon tea and I decided on the gluten free option.

It took a while to get served with only a couple in the queue, to then be told only plain scones were available and they didn't have any gluten free scones or cakes. I had to opt for a gf chicken sandwich which was offered with chutney so I asked if I could have a chicken salad sandwich, to which the young lady looked confused and said salad would be on the side of the plate. To make it simple I asked for a plain chicken sandwich.

We were advised drinks would be brought over which took quite a while, shortly followed by my husbands scones. Once my husband had nearly finished, my sandwich finally arrived accompanied by grapes and apple. It was served by an older lady who I politely asked if i could actually have some salad instead, I was given a very sarcastic remark and advised grapes and apple were put on the plate as I had requested gluten free! It was then returned with the smallest amount of salad I have ever seen and a distinct lack of chicken.

I can honesty say that it was a very unsatisfactory lunch and after using the facilities was glad to leave. It is very doubtful we will ever stop there again.

1  Thank Caroline A

Reviewed 18 August 2017 via mobile

Grumpy service, expensive, mediocre quality. Plenty of far better places nearby!
Shame I can't find anything positive to say!

1  Thank Stappers74
Reviewed 13 August 2017 via mobile

I came here 5 years ago with friends and we found the grumpiness amusing and presumed it was an off day. Bringing my husband here 5 years later and nothing has changed - same grumpy woman! There are unfriendly signs everywhere, the food is expensive, portions are very small and the atmosphere is one of strained silence. This could be a gem and hopefully one day will be. Put the waitress in charge. Sadly we didn't get served by her but her cheeriness and the food being edible are all that stood between this and a 1 star. Sadly next time it will be Starbucks for us which is a few miles further along the road

1  Thank Luke Y
Reviewed 10 August 2017

We have visited this café several times over the years on our way to the west country and although the service has always been questionable the food was good so we returned despite the surly nature of the lady owner.
However, we popped in earlier this year and had a less than OK breakfast and then again a few weeks later to see if it had improved - It hadn't!
The place was busy, the lady was on her own but she was bordering on rude to not only my wife and I but to anybody else who was unfortunate enough to visit that lunchtime. Needless to say enough is enough. It is a great shame as it is a convenient place to stop and they have spent money expanding the place, but maybe the money would have been better spent on obtaining some customer service skills.

Reviewed 18 July 2017

Desperate for some food and drink on our way back from a family wedding, we saw the sign for Oaklands farm and pulled in for a break.
The first thing that you notice is that it is all a bit scruffy and unfinished.
We ordered a crab sandwich, a lamb burger and a tea and a coffee.
we were given a wooden soon with a number on and we went to sit outside.
The area is nothing special. There was a dirty old caravan just behind us and the outside of the cafe looks like work in progress, as it is half cladded. That is what the whole place feels like. It is a pity really because if it was smartened up it could be quite pretty.
Anyway, after about ten minutes our tea and coffee arrived. We drank that within another ten minutes. Then after half an hour, I walked back into the cafe to check with the waitress how much longer the food would be. She was unsure and didn't go to check. I walked back outside to ask my wife what we she wanted to do and as we were just deciding to leave and get a refund for the food, the owner appeared with our meals. There was no apology for the wait, or in fact any conversation apart from ' here's your crab sandwich and burger'. My £7.50 crab sandwich was small and on the plate were a few black grapes and about five potato crisps. My wife left most of her burger.
With a few more staff, a bit of tidying up and not such an extensive menu, so that the food arrived more speedily, it could be better.