“Best Cream Tea!!!”

Bovey Down Farm
Ranked #24 of 75 Restaurants in Honiton
Cuisines: Polish, Russian, British
Reviewed 24 June 2017

We visited here after coming upon a stand at the Ave Valley Fair and my husband picked up a business card. Before we visited the area I'd stated that I wanted to find a farm serving cream teas. I wasn't disappointed. On arrival we entered a large room/converted barn (possibly in the midst of a makeover?) with several wooden tables set up for teas. We were the only people there but had arrived at noon, so I wasn't that surprised. Shortly after being seated a procession of things arrived at our table, a large pot of tea with hot water for more, 4 large scones (2 each), honey, 3 different jams, and a very large dish of clotted cream. The scones were amazing. Warm, and so light in texture. Everything just melted in the mouth. This was it, this was the cream tea I had longed for!! I think the owners were busy re-stocking their pies etc for their shop after selling out at the Fair, but had they had any, I would have definitely bought some ... if their cream teas were anything to go by I'm sure everything they sell would be just as delicious! I cannot recommend Bovey Down Farm enough and will definitely return for tea, and maybe some other tasty items when we're in the area. No other teas I saw being served in the area seemed to offer the same amount or standard. PS. this was a bargain and I think they're under pricing themselves!

1  Thank Kelly F
Pamela S, Owner at Bovey Down Farm, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2017

We are so pleased you took the time to come for a cream tea and for the lovely comments,thank you. We also hope you enjoyed the experience of the Axe Valley show,even on such a hot week end.Our team struggled in the heat so were pleased when customers acted on the cards and ended up here. We always aim to provide a highly unique atmosphere when coming into our barn tea room / restaurant,& quality is the name of the game with our food.see you again soon.#

Reviewed 17 June 2017

This is the second time we have visited Bovey Down Farm and this time we brought along with us two friends, and as only to be expected the cream tea was first class and our friends loved it too, Gerald and Pam always make you very welcome with a smile and a chat no matter how busy they are.
The site has stunning idyllic views, and the whole experience is so relaxing.
Looking forward already to our next visit with more friends who don't know anything about this gem of a place.

Pamela S, Owner at Bovey Down Farm, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2017

Thank you for taking time in your day for writing a review.We all enjoy having the customers at Bovey's Down Farm ,we want guests to leave here having had a unique experiance. P & G.

Reviewed 1 May 2017 via mobile

Wow! To be honest we stopped here as an after thought but now it will be first choice when it comes to cream teas or cakes etc from this part of Devon! I love cream teas so tried a few but this was far above anything I have had in the past! Three jams and organic clotted cream... yum My 14mth old daughter had a Savoury cheese scone and my husband had carrot cake (all made on site) I tasted the savoury scone and wow . The food was that good we bought extra scones to take home and my husband had a pie (which he loved) . They had a huge selection of tea as well which was served in a china tea set. The staff & owners where so welcoming and very friendly . We are planning to go back very soon. Cannot recommend this place enough. A true hidden gem. Thank you so much

Pamela S, Owner at Bovey Down Farm, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2017

Thank you .We are very pleased you enjoyed your cream tea & decided to put the information out there. We remember your daughter looking very satisfied with her scone and looking forward to your return visit.

Reviewed 27 August 2016 via mobile

Never judge a book by its cover, this may not be a quaint tea room you would expect. But don't be fooled the staff are exceptionally friendly, the cream tea is five star. I've never had so many choices of preserves or so much clotted cream.

1  Thank Ev O

Thank you for rating the cream tea 5* we aim to please.

Reviewed 22 August 2016

cream teas in afternoon scones homemade 100% steak Aberdeen angus cooked on site very tasteful campsite clean good showers

Thank you for taking the trouble of writing this review, we enjoy providing the food and camp site for your holidays.